Send Topic Print
Second coming (Read 612 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Second coming
Reply #30 - 08/02/22 at 10:59:16

I think I did that once and they screwed up rotation on both. They were mags/tubeless so he had it fixed quickly. I actually like doing it. You just have to be smarter than the tire. I may have a unfair advantage , 100 degree days are real common here , I just let it bake in the sun all day and soften up a bit. A big difference between letting it bake in the sun or not. Besides truing wheels , paint work , machine work I do the rest. I would love to have stuff for truing rims.
Ol Skool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #31 - 08/02/22 at 11:06:29

I made sure to put the rotation on a piece of tape next to the spokes before I gave them to them.  I also verified both installs before paying for the labor.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #32 - 08/02/22 at 11:23:11

Painters are flakes , I have one hell of a story about my paintwork , but not only do I believe it would be real bad carma to tell the story. I also told him I wouldn’t never bring it up again or ever have him paint anything again , not even my toe nails !!! Almost cost me the tank & glass. Definitely cost me a friendship , his fault for sure.
However the guy has laid paint on cars for Clapton & Beck , he is good and I tell myself to keep from coming unscrewed at the guy , “it was worth the wait”. Enough said.
 I just wanted paint , not a look at me paint job. He kept it simple as requested , it does look good ,  I couldn’t have done what he did ! So next time I see him I will thank him for a job well done , I never thanked him for it , try to bury the hatchet !
Maybe salvage a friendship
Wow, The things I go thru just to get a bike built !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #33 - 08/02/22 at 12:08:40

That sucks...

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #34 - 08/02/22 at 13:47:26

Yeah , I really hate drama.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #35 - 08/02/22 at 13:56:48

Waiting for battery to arrive (Friday) to lay all the wiring in & button up loose ends. Still tire shopping and need to mount ignition switch , being relocated , no longer in tank. Then some engine work.

Surprising how fast it gets done , if you just do one thing no matter how small it is , Everyday ! Progress even if it’s a bolt or a zip tie

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #36 - 08/03/22 at 13:16:08

I hope I don’t have to work this weekend , almost excited to install battery & wiring maybe get to where I can test everything including gps,lights,horn,starter & oh yeah check for spark. Still no tires to be had in a set , I may have to just buy a rear tire that doesn’t match the front for now. Definitely getting excited ,  but still a lot to do , can’t wait to ride it makes my heart pound thinking about it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 08/22/22 at 18:13:51

Work hot & heavy , lots of overtime , 10-11 hour days. , 7 days a week the port is busy. But got 99 % of electrical done. First round everything worked but the horn , got it fixed. Trying to be neat & sparingly with the zip ties. Only real problem is where to put the ignition switch , tank no longer has the hole , I may need another switch , maybe no key. Not sure what to do.
Really dislike gps speedo it’s own harness & antenna wires running everywhere , I think this is a temporary speedo at least till I can get some solid numbers of performance. Initial build spawned 16 boxes of parts & junk for R & D , left overs , maybe some stuff to sell too. Not to mention some interesting revelations as well to be exposed/revealed along with the performance outcome.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #38 - 08/22/22 at 20:08:02

Sorted all those boxes , thru out a lot of crap , sorted the hardware and got it down to 4 maybe a fifth box of take off stuff that I can’t find. Tried of all the crap from now on only one box per bike and 1 box of general misc motorcycle stuff. I’ve been throwing stuff out and will continue throwing the crap out till the garage is more manageable. Gotta make room.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Edub

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Arizona
Reply #39 - 08/23/22 at 23:52:37

Thanks for the updates, Ruttly! But for the love of all that’s holy, WE NEED PICS!!!  Cheesy

You have one of the coolest bikes on here, and Ohiomoto had to share pics, man, get on it!   Grin

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #40 - 08/24/22 at 01:30:54

Get this , the painter wants to do the photo shoot. The paint work didn’t come back for 3 years. You might be in for a wait ,  Lmmfao
Sorry here your on my Ol Skool time absolutely no instant gratification here.
But I’ll see what I can do , no peeking !

« Last Edit: 08/24/22 at 05:12:38 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #41 - 08/24/22 at 14:10:53

So the other day I ran into my painter. So I thanked him and told him job well done , it is very sexy and evil at the same time. Told him he would be the first to see it and then he said he wanted to do the photo shoot , my skin started crawling but I bit my tongue and said ok yeah sure. I was so mad when I got the stuff back I almost sanded the paint off just to take a pic for him to see , the ultimate insult , fighting words. I guess I’m glad I didn’t !? Maybe I’m still just a tad pissed off , just sayin , just a tad.
Go ahead someone scream at me “get over it “
Nope , I’m still pissed  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #42 - 08/25/22 at 09:27:38

Ruttly wrote on 08/02/22 at 10:59:16:
I think I did that once and they screwed up rotation on both. They were mags/tubeless so he had it fixed quickly. I actually like doing it. You just have to be smarter than the tire. I may have a unfair advantage , 100 degree days are real common here , I just let it bake in the sun all day and soften up a bit. A big difference between letting it bake in the sun or not. Besides truing wheels , paint work , machine work I do the rest. I would love to have stuff for truing rims.
Ol Skool

Stand to support the axle. Wire pointers next to the rim,your eyeballs can see when the rim deviates,and another wire to show you run out, so you can get the rim the same distance from the axle .   You don't need gauges. A few feet of 1x10, coupla lengths of anything sturdy enough to not deflect when you handle the rim, and a few inches of stiff wire. Put a 90 in your wires, so you can twist them to put them closer to the rim as you get it closer to straight and true.
It's some tedious stuff the first few times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 08/25/22 at 11:27:18

I found a truing jig at Harbor Freight. I didn’t buy it I’m trying to clean out the garage not bring more stuff home.
But if the need arises I know where to go to get one. I forgot what the price is , I’ll look next time I’m there.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #44 - 08/25/22 at 20:21:56

Shooting for completion end of Sept , begining of October  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5