Send Topic Print
Second coming (Read 612 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Second coming
Reply #15 - 07/27/22 at 22:37:00

Was just checking final ratios , it was at 3.17 just touching the edge of fast where the bike is light under max acceleration almost all weight transfer over rear wheel. WFO launches , 2nd gear barks rear tire on a low wheelie.
Those days are gone new ratio 2.77 but now I’ll be able to better control acceleration at freeway speeds. Not worried about holeshot or wheelies I want better speed results. Engine still has more to give with tuning. Who knows she might run right past the ton. 0-60 , 1/4 mile , top speed , will be read by gps speedo , already have the road picked out that runs between two cattle ranches long flat & straight only a few driveways. I can usually get 2 or 3 runs before he meets me at the gate with a double barrel.  Shocked

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 07/29/22 at 12:48:20

The sickness has got his claws into me. During the pandemic I had taken a new hobby and let tracker sit. Absolutely had to drop that hobby to get myself to finish the tracker. Now the sickness is back in force. Tracker 2.0 is
coming along fine.
   But along with 2.0 now I’m seeing Tracker 3.0 with modified swingarm with a spool rear hub with disc brake. Where does it end ? Sick !
The ride is only temporary relief for the sickness , but it makes me smile , I have 2 more bikes just waiting for their turn at the table.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 07/31/22 at 11:26:06

Just got chain on it , everything aligned and tightened. Mail shows up , a Recall notice

Apparently the chicken feathers & pig nostrils used in these Korean made tires don’t supply enough strength and structure to stay together. Cracking and coming apart at speed.

And of course the rear tire is on the recall list but front is not. Another delay !

Continental Contigo tires are the focus of the recall

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 07/31/22 at 11:40:00

I hope I can get a new improved rear tire same as the old one. The stance of the bike is perfect it looks fast , it looks ready for attack , it looks positively wicked with criminal intent , Very pleasing to my eyes !

I hate turn signals , Tracker 3.0 will be stripped , no horn , turn signals , speedo or mirror.
Headlight tail light lic plate that it. Stripped !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #19 - 07/31/22 at 21:50:39

Ruttly - I chose the Avon AV53 / AV54 Trailrider Tires.  110/80-18 for the front, and 120/80-18 for the rear. The rims sizes are Front 2.15" and rear is 2.75".

avon_av53_trailrider_front_tires_750x750_001.jpg

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 08/01/22 at 07:22:58

I like those. The last set were Kenda 671 in same sizes as yours. Took a lot to balance them , heavy tires , very sloppy handling too but I like that slip sliding around stuff , didn’t bother me a bit. But overall I was after the look and wouldn’t buy those again. Wanted a smooth running street tire for speed & handling , Kenda was like an old hard off road truck tire , but they were fun.
 Went with the ContiGo in a 110/80-18 & 120/90-18 a lighter full road tires. That 120/90-18 is a tight fit even on my modified swingarm , it fills up the swingarm. She got long legs, tall rear tire & 18/50 gears.
They rate the adventure tire by what they do better road or trail and that tells me they don’t do either real well. Just sayin. Street tires never kept me from hill climbing hills and riding in the dirt !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #21 - 08/01/22 at 09:50:03

I went with an 18/52 combo on my sprockets, but mine is an older 4 speed trans.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 08/01/22 at 10:28:06

Ryca claimed that was same ratio as the oem belt setup

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 08/01/22 at 20:18:39

Hey Sneeze , Where were your tires made ? Yeah the Avons , not many options in those sizes. Having no luck finding a comparable set of tires. Oooo I forgot I wonder if they still make road racing slicks in those sizes.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #24 - 08/01/22 at 21:07:48

I honestly don't know.  I bought them from Cycle World I believe.  It was a bit of a challenge finding a matching set, and I won't know how good or bad they are until I get it running and the tires scrubbed in.  I liked the look, and didn't want to mix and match brands.  That is one of the down sides to building a bike you have never ridden.  Good, bad, or ugly it will be what it will be when I start to ride it. Improvements will come after it is broken in and I establish a base line.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #25 - 08/01/22 at 21:12:23

I just searched, and apparently most if not all Avon tires are made in the UK.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 08/01/22 at 22:32:40

USA and Asia too

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #27 - 08/01/22 at 22:37:52

Well, grip is the tell all.  That will be told when the bike gets broken in.  We will see...

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 08/02/22 at 00:24:41

Were they hard to install on the rim ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #29 - 08/02/22 at 07:55:47

About as difficult as driving to the local m/c shop and forking over some cash!  With brand new aluminum Sun rims I wasn't going to get anywhere close to scratching them with tire irons.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 16:48:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Second coming

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!