Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Second coming (Read 612 times)
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Re: Second coming
Reply #45 - 08/25/22 at 20:47:34

Nice...   I can only hope.  The hard part is about to start for me - the tedious job of cleaning, painting, and assembling the motor.  Afterwards comes the wiring.  Yeah, it's gonna take some time, but I have a lot of firewood, and Fall's a comin"!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #46 - 08/31/22 at 14:00:15

Alright after 2 weeks of searching I finally found a new set of tires to replace the recalled Continentals. Seems like I was on every website that sold tires with no luck , so I tried Amazon. Managed to find a set of Dunlop D404 , 1 front , 1 rear they are different tread patterns but a matching set. I may never buy another Continental tire. $$$ Dunlop’s not at all both tires shipped for free , tires & taxes $194. Not really liking the tread patterns but will make it more stable on loose terrain , aka DIRT. No matter how hard I try it will wind up doing stupid stuff off road. Gotta go order tubes.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 08/31/22 at 20:33:02

I ran Dunlop for a while, Coupla rear, one front lasted for the the life of the two rears,IIRC. I think I did Metzlers after that. I need to see what is on it. It's been parked behind the shop for going on three years. Seems like I got the pair for about a cheeseburger and a malt less than two hundred.
Something about having fun and getting much more than five thousand miles outta any rear tire is just not easy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #48 - 09/01/22 at 12:36:34

I may not like tread design but knowing it’s a Dunlop makes me much more relaxed. I’ve been on Dunlop’s for years n years. They will do just fine , not as gummy as the Continental but they will last longer. Maybe the tread will look better after I straighten out a few backroads with them !? Hope overall shape of the tire is near to the Continental (slick with a few grooves) cause they look very aggressive. Hope to at least get the rear tire on this weekend and all adjusted up with a new roller on the tensioner. Ignition switch is gonna drive me nuts!!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #49 - 09/01/22 at 13:22:04

My Avons have a more aggressive dirt tread than those Dunlops, but I have no idea how they feel or wear.  I bought them on a size and looks match alone.  But I guess I will find out if the $$$ was well spent or not.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #50 - 09/02/22 at 14:13:56

They have to look cool, tire shape and size create a stance , a attitude , a intimidating factor to your competition in your eyes and hopefully theirs too. This is why shapes and lines are so critical and color is secondary. Heat wave maybe 110-115 today have tire baking in my oven called the back yard , yeah soften those tires up a bit , Dunlop’s are like trying to install a truck tire with a popsicle stick , maybe one more coffee !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #51 - 09/02/22 at 19:23:40

They lied , it was only 109 today. And Dunlop tires put up a good fight , hella sidewalls. My hands and arms will be hurtin later. Always a challenge, never easy , not one drop of blood shed , wish I could say that about the sweat. I already don’t like the shape of the rear and they are heavier than the Recalled tires. Really trying to keep it at or under 315 lbs. , I did say trying , lose a little gain a little , have no idea what it weighs. I’m so mad at Continental , keep shopping for something , something intimidating and sexy. But for now it’s all about the truck tires  , I mean Dunlops. Still a great tire just not what I was looking for.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 09/02/22 at 19:27:37

I hear ya Ruttly.  Just threw a set of those 404s on my hoops and it was a flat-out B!tch of a job.  Those suckers are stiff and heavy.  I hope they last a long time cuz I'm not lookin forward to doin it again.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #53 - 09/03/22 at 00:12:44

Yup , my arms feel longer for some reason. While installing it I remember seeing these tires on sportsters and gold wings. One tire iron went flying still haven’t found it. They should last awhile , I like Dunlop’s just not fond of these. Boy baking them in the sun for hours before installing really softened them up and it was still a battle , not a epic battle but a good battle , I Win ! Again !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #54 - 09/04/22 at 17:31:43

Yeah I’ll be waiting before I mount the front 404 , maybe I’ll get lucky and find some slicks  or some nasty stickies of some sort. Like DBM said stiff  & heavy , these 404s look like oem tires the sport/touring look ,unappealing to me , well let’s say not a good look on the tracker. So what happens next well I ride the bike and fall in love with the tires. I want to change them before that happens. just another delay. 110 here today time for the pool and a beer.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #55 - 09/25/22 at 10:13:31

Got both of the Dunlop D404s on finally. And as suspected it lost its stance that was so perfect. Front tire is taller and the rear is lower and narrower I know the rear is bigger than the front but on the bike they about the same. Bike is more level now than it was before with the Continentals lower in front & taller in the rear , looked way more aggressive and evil. I know it’s a good tire , 10 times the tire of the old Kendas, gonna ride like it’s on a rail , but they gotta go. It won’t be anytime soon but they gotta go. 4 dismounts , 4 mounts and balances , hella work to make the bike look worse. I need a drink !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #56 - 09/25/22 at 10:34:59

Good thing I live here cause summer is slipping away,again. For the exception of some freezing or rainy days , it a mild winter here. Ride all year long or everyday if you gear up for the weather. I will ride the tracker this year. There shouldn’t be any bugs to work out , think I got them all or will before it hits the road. After that it becomes a daily rider or any time I can swing a leg over it and go !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 09/25/22 at 11:05:43

Take some tooth picks with you or wear a full face helmet.

Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #58 - 09/27/22 at 11:56:05

I always travel with both.  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #59 - 09/27/22 at 12:13:17

Look there goes Ruttly on his Sport/Touring Street Tracker

Oh no , ain’t happenin

Sorry Dunlop

Continental never again

Almost ready to lace up some 17” hoops

Then it’ll be , look there goes Ruttly on his Grom Tracker

I can’t win. Took it off the lift to clean another bike to sell. Still tire shopping
something has to pop up sooner or later.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 15:23:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Second coming

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.