Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement (Read 244 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement
09/30/21 at 19:21:19

This is the ninth in a series of reports intended to document the results of progressive modifications to the LS650 engine.  You can find Parts 1 through 8 here.

Part 1 Stock: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1620523526

Part 2 Airbox:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1621150483

Part 3 Exhaust:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1623048749

Part 4 Carburetor: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

Part 5 Cam:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1626391255

Part 6 Flywheel:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1626921647

Part 7 Head:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1627891507

Part 8 Compression:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1631491370

In Part 9, we will increase the displacement by installing a 97mm piston.  We will compare the Wiseco 97mm pop-top piston (9.5:1 CR) to the Wiseco 97mm flat-top piston (11.2:1 CR).

What I am about to describe worked good for me.  If you decide to try this stuff on your own, you assume responsibility for the outcome.  If you don’t have the skills, don’t do it.  If you don’t understand something, STOP and get help.  Get a manual.  Read up.  Comply with ALL the safety requirements outlined in the manual.  Make sure you know what you are doing before attempting any of these modifications.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement
Reply #1 - 09/30/21 at 19:22:23

Rather than give you a blow-by-blow on the 97mm pop-top piston installation, I am going to provide a link to the final post on my 97mm pop-top Big Bore engine.  I think it’s a good series of posts (six parts).  The series will give you all the nitty gritty on the 97mm pop-top installation and testing.  Most of the info is applicable to the flat-top installation too.   Eventually, I did a complete test regimen on the 97mm pop-top engine with the special high flow muffler.  So, unlike the 94mm pop-top, I have a complete set of data for comparison.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1600759429

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/30/21 at 19:24:33

Up to this point, we have increased power and economy by improving volumetric efficiency and thermal efficiency.  Now we are going to take the “bigger is better” approach.  There’s no substitute for cubic inches; no replacement for displacement.

The stock LS650 engine has a 94mm (3.701”) bore and stroke.  That works out to 652 cc (39.8 cubic inches).  If we increase the bore to 97mm (3.819”), the displacement increases to 695 cc (42.4 cubic inches).  That’s a 6.6% increase in displacement.  Bigger should be better provided we can supply the engine with enough air.

Increasing the displacement will also increase the compression ratio (CR).  The stock engine has an 8.3:1 CR.  The 94mm pop-top brings the CR up to 9.2:1.  The 97mm pop-top yields 9.5:1.  The 94mm flat-top steps it up to 10.4:1.  Throw in a 97mm flat-top and we’re lookin at 11.2:1.  I think that’s pushing the limit for premium pump gas.

We’re gonna see if the old Twin-Swirl Combustion Chamber (TSCC) can hack a CR over 11:1.  Up to this point, it has handled increased compression well.  The centrally located spark plug and turbulent combustion chamber handle pump gasoline quite well.  Adding the tight quench associated with the Wiseo flat-top also helps to stir things up.  At 10.4:1, the 94mm flat-top engine ran fine on 92 octane.  No problems with detonation.  Now we’ll see what happens with more displacement and a little more compression.

As mentioned earlier, I’m not going to give you a blow-by-blow on building the big engines.  The prior posts provide plenty of how-to.  I’m just gonna hit on some of the unique issues I encountered on the 97mm builds, and then provide the test results for comparison.

In the interest of full disclosure, we need to talk about the clutch.  Once I took the engine up to 42 cubic inches, the stock clutch wasn’t up to the job.  It just couldn’t handle the power.  The same holds true for the 94mm flat-top piston.  Although I never tested the 94mm flat-top with the stock clutch, the 94mm flat-top runs just as good as the 97mm pop-top.  That means the 94mm flat-top must produce a similar amount of horsepower and torque.  If the clutch couldn’t hold the 97mm pop-top, it probably won’t hold the 94mm flat-top.  If you wanna play you gotta pay.  See this post for clutch options.  You might need em.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1615547049

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 09/30/21 at 19:25:26

To install the 97mm piston you need to bore the cylinder 3mm oversize.  I did that on my 97mm pop-top build.  The 97mm cylinder only had about 1583 miles on it so a quick pass with a hone had the cylinder ready to go.

Bore_Finish_Post_Hone.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 09/30/21 at 19:26:02

It ended up just a bit looser than I wanted.  I would have preferred .0030” clearance.  Looks like .0035” will have to do.  I set the ring gaps using Wiseco’s guidance for “Blown Race Only”.  This is an air-cooled engine with really high compression, so I’m taking the conservative approach.  I’ve learned my lesson.  I set the gap for the top ring at .025”, and the gap for the second ring at .027”.

_0035_clearance.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 09/30/21 at 19:26:46

The jug was an eBay beater.  It was ugly.  I left it ugly for the pop-top build.  Since the 97mm flat-top would probably be my final build, I decided to slap on a coat of paint.  This Dupli-color engine enamel with “ceramic” really goes on nice.  Have any of you used this stuff?

Painting_Cylinder_Duplicolor_DE1635.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 09/30/21 at 19:27:44

The Dupli-Color went on easy and looked great.   Made a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Paint_Cyl_Ready_for_Install.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 09/30/21 at 19:28:33

I opted to go with a factory DR650 cam for this 97mm flat-top engine.  I am not too happy with the welded cams.  IMO, they don’t hold up well.  The 340b cam has pits after only 7272 miles.  The 402 cam has signs of failure after a measly 1583 miles.  But the old DR650 cam is still pristine after 5073 very hard miles, even without the oil holes in the lobes.  To be fair, the Web cams require heavy valve springs with more travel, so the lobes are subjected to a lot more pressure.  Using the factory DR cam will allow retention of the stock valve springs.  Less pressure on the cam lobe, less parasitic loss, less heat.  All good.

Look at this old DR cam.  Ain’t she pretty?

DR_Cam_Lobes_5073_Miles.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 09/30/21 at 19:29:22

In contrast, the Web 402 after only 1583 miles.  Same oil, Mobile 1 V-Twin 20W-50, Phosphorous 1600 PPM, Zinc 1750 PPM, full synthetic.

Web_402_1583_Miles.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 09/30/21 at 19:30:17

Check out the 340b after 7272 miles.  They were hard miles, but I really would like to get a little more service life out of my camshafts.  Again, same oil.  I recall Dave had a failure that looked very similar.  I’m not likin these welded cams.

Web_340b_7272_Miles.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 09/30/21 at 19:31:16

Let’s look at some of the differences between the 97mm pop-top and 97mm flat-top.

The pop-top has a shorter compression height.  At TDC, the top of the piston is situated about .125” below the cylinder head, there is in no tight quench zone.  It bumps up compression using a pop-top, and increases displacement with a 3mm increase in bore size.

Deck_PopTop.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 09/30/21 at 19:31:56

The compression height on the flat-top is significantly taller.  At TDC it is flush with the top of the cylinder and will permit setups with a tight quench zone (.030” - .060”).   Instead of a raised top that sticks up above the basic top of the piston, it has a spherical dish that extends down into the basic top of the piston.  Like the pop-top, it increases displacement with a 3mm increase in bore size.

Deck_FlatTop.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 09/30/21 at 19:32:45

The pop-top doesn’t have a full-circle skirt.

Skirt_PopTop.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 09/30/21 at 19:33:19

The flat-top has a full-circle skirt.

Skirt.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 09/30/21 at 19:34:04

At 496 grams, the pop-top is only 4 grams lighter than the stock piston.

PopTop_496_grams2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:05:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 9 - Displacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.