Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a Hotrod - Part 2: The Airbox (Read 308 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Evolution of a Hotrod - Part 2: The Airbox
05/16/21 at 00:34:42

This is the second in a series of reports intended to document the results of progressive modifications to the LS650 engine.  Part 1 outlined the project, set the rules, and established the baseline performance values for a box-stock LS650.  Part 2 examines the airbox, air filter, and stock carburetor jetting.  The carburetor jetting is included because almost any significant alteration to the airbox requires a jetting adjustment.

An internal combustion engine needs air to produce power.  Most modifications intended to increase the power output of an engine are intended to get more air into and out of the cylinder.  High performance air filters, larger carburetors, velocity stacks, high performance camshafts, ported cylinder heads, headers, and free-flowing exhaust systems are all focused on moving air and combustion products through the engine.

Superchargers and turbo chargers have one function, cram more air into the cylinder.

Larger displacement engines generally make more power.  A bigger engine can induct more air on each intake stroke.  Hmmmm!  More displacement = more air.

It’s all about the air.  Additional air permits the introduction of additional fuel.  It’s an unbeatable combination.  If you can get more air into a cylinder, then you can add more fuel.

Seems to me the logical place to look for more air is where it first enters the powerplant, the airbox.

What I am about to describe worked good for me.  If you decide to try this stuff on your own, you assume responsibility for the outcome.  If you don’t have the skills, don’t do it.  If you don’t understand something, STOP and get help.  Get a manual.  Read up.  Comply with ALL the safety requirements outlined in the manual.  Make sure you know what you are doing before attempting any of this stuff.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a Hotrod - Part 2: The Airbox
Reply #1 - 05/16/21 at 00:36:06

The LS650 airbox is very restrictive.  Air enters the airbox at the snorkel, located under the seat.  There’s a bunch of junk in the way.  The seat, wires, connector plugs, etc.

Snorkel_Airbox_Lit.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/16/21 at 00:36:45

If you remove this decorative side cover (I call it a “tin”),

Decorative_Cover_RS.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/16/21 at 00:37:22

you will find the plastic airbox cover underneath the tin.  Remove the single screw that holds the plastic cover in place,

Airbox_Cvr.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/16/21 at 00:38:03

and you have access to the air filter element.

Filter_Element_Airbox_Interior.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/16/21 at 00:38:53

Look into the airbox and you can also see the bottom of the snorkel.  Lookin bleak already.

Snorkel_Bottom.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 05/16/21 at 00:40:01

If you want to see if your bike will run better, just leave that plastic airbox cover off.  Put the tin back in place.  Give it a whirl, but be careful, it’s gonna run lean.  Don’t go wide open throttle (WOT) in any gear higher than 3rd.  With the cover removed, my 3rd gear acceleration time dropped by a little over 1-second (10.48 to 9.35).  Don’t run your bike like this for anything more than a quick test.  It will be too lean. You can hurt it if you get carried away.

So, a simple test reveals that there’s some significant performance lurking in that airbox.  I contend that the only modification necessary at this point is to leave the plastic cover off, put the tin back on, and rejet the carburetor.

The tin provides adequate weather protection.  You can’t turn a hose on the thing, but under normal pleasure riding conditions everything works fine.   I’ve spent about 2 years riding around without the airbox cover.  No problem whatsoever.

The only parts needed are #150 main jet, a #55 pilot jet, and a suitable washer (.27” OD x .12” ID x .06” thick).   The washer is used to raise the slide needle.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 05/16/21 at 00:40:46

As I mentioned in Part 1, the brass plug that covered my idle mixture screw has already been removed.  I left the screw at 2 turns, which is exactly where I found it when I removed the plug 3 years ago.  If you haven’t already removed the plug you might want to do that.

Idle_Mixture_Screw.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 05/16/21 at 00:41:35

Remove the float bowl.  I suggest you convert the float bowl screws from pan head to socket head.  These are M5 x 0.8 pitch x 15mm long stainless-steel socket head cap screws.

Float_Bowl_Removal.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 05/16/21 at 00:42:13

If you still have the stock battery box, it might be a bit tricky to remove the float bowl.  A smaller battery makes things a lot easier.  This is a Sportster battery.  Lots more room with this setup and replacements are easy to find.

Float_Bowl_Access_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 05/16/21 at 00:43:02

Change the main jet.  A #150 works good.

Main_Jet_Removal_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 05/16/21 at 00:44:13

Don’t loose the washer for the main jet.

Main_Jet_Washer_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 05/16/21 at 00:44:56

The pilot jet is optional, but I prefer the #55.  It’s a bit fat, but afterfire is greatly diminished. Overall response and cruise are better too.  Once the jets have been changed, reinstall the float bowl.

Pilot_Jet_RR_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 05/16/21 at 00:46:03

The slide needle adjustment is a bit harder.  It’s important.  You must do it.  If you don’t adjust the needle, you will run too lean in the range where you spend the most time, part throttle.

I remove the seat and fuel tank to gain access to the top of the carburetor.

Remove the top of the carburetor.  Again, converting to socket head screws makes your life a lot easier.  These are M5 x 0.8 pitch x 10mm long stainless-steel socket head cap screws.

Carb_Top_RR.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 05/16/21 at 00:46:57

Carefully remove the spring.

Spring.jpg