Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a Hot Rod - Part 1: The Stocker (Read 320 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Evolution of a Hot Rod - Part 1: The Stocker
05/08/21 at 18:25:26

I purchased my LS650 about 3 years ago.  I wanted to use it as a test mule to try some ideas and learn a thing or two.  The first thing I did was throw it on a dyno to get a baseline on the horsepower and torque.  My plan was to start with the box-stock Savage, and then dyno periodically as I tried various modifications.

It didn’t take long to figure out that all that dyno time would be expensive and cumbersome.  As I plodded along making more horsepower, it was evident that I would never be able to keep up with the dyno runs.  I switched to timed acceleration runs.  I had more control over the test program, and I could test at my leisure.

But even the timed acceleration runs had a learning curve.  Initially, I only did second gear pulls.  It was safer.  That morphed into second & third gear pulls, and eventually included fifth gear pulls to get the complete performance picture.

I found myself with a pile of data, but no way to compare the early modifications to my current setup.  I had made a lot of changes.  I wanted to be able to compare one setup to another using the same standards.

The only solution was to turn the little Savage back into the pathetic box-stock cruiser that I started with.  Test it by doing timed pulls in second, third and fifth to establish the box-stock baseline.  Then do modifications in small increments and test to the same standards.  That looked like an interesting project.  I suspect I will learn a whole bunch of new tidbits along the way.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Evolution of a Hot Rod - Part 1: The Stocker
Reply #1 - 05/08/21 at 18:27:28

The Plan

1.  Put it completely back to stock.  Stock head, stock carburetor, stock airbox, stock cam, stock piston, stock exhaust, stock muffler, stock flywheel, stock gearing, stock (or equivalent to stock) everything.  I have been careful to save all the stock parts over the last 36 months, or at least modify the components in a manner that would allow restoration to stock equivalent.

2.  The only exception will be the carburetion.  As a minimum, it must be rideable. IMO, the stock carburetion is not suitable for normal operation.  The slide needle will be raised slightly.    Main jet and pilot jet must remain as-delivered so WOT acceleration will be unaffected.

3.  Test the stock setup.  Observe temperatures.  Measure audible noise.  Evaluate vibration levels.  Observe the fuel mixture using the air/fuel ratio gage.  Measure acceleration in second, third and fifth gears.  Measure fuel economy.  Evaluate overall drivability and performance.

4.  Do all the simple and inexpensive mods.  The stuff I refer to as “the low hanging fruit”.  Airbox mods to let the poor thing breath.  Jetting to give it sustenance.  Exhaust mods, like a dyna muffler, to un-constipate the little pooper.  Keep the mods simple and rock-bottom cheap.  No special tools or skills will be required to do these mods. Confine the initial mods to things that do not require going into the internal portions of the engine.  Test after each mod and report the results.

5. Do mods that are a bit more involved.  Stuff that might require removal of the clutch cover, head cover, or alternator cover.  These mods might require a little cash infusion, or some special tools or skills, but still no deep-dive into the guts of the engine.  Maybe a carburetor, camshaft, or a lighter flywheel.  Possibly an exhaust system rather than just a muffler, a special exhaust fitting, or a free-flow muffler.  Test after each mod and report the results.

6. Take the plunge.  Start doing elective surgery on the power plant.  These mods might include a high-compression piston and minor head-work.  They would include bolt-in cams, or might alter cam timing.  “Bolt-in” meaning cams that don’t require modifications to guides or pistons, special valve springs, retainers, etc.   Theses mods will build on the mods previously accomplished.   They will require more special tools and more cash.

7.  At this point, I have good test data on extensive modifications that I performed after incorporating my latest testing regimen.  I will add that test data to whatever I collect on this project.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/08/21 at 18:28:32

I am hoping some of you have ideas that hold the promise of improved performance for the average Savage.  I solicit your input.  If you have a particular component or idea that you want tested, throw your hat in the ring.  We can collaborate.  I can’t guarantee that I can pull it off, but I will do my best.

There are a few things that need to come off the table right up front.  For instance, filling in the dipsy-doodle in the exhaust port.  That ain’t gonna happen.  A supercharger or turbocharger would be a bit over the top.  I think a wet nitrous system is also not a good candidate.  But a particular air filter, airbox mod, carburetor, muffler, header, or camshaft.  Those might be good candidates.  Possibly even a porting scheme.

Throw your idea out there and we can have a discussion, figure out what you think it will do, determine what it will take to get it installed, and fit it into the project.

Let’s get started.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/08/21 at 18:29:42

Here you see the stock Savage engine ready for test.  ALL Stock, top to bottom.

Finished_Resto_to_Stock_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/08/21 at 18:30:34

I threw on a stock cylinder and piston.

Cyl__Piston_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/08/21 at 18:31:18

The bore was in top shape.  Great finish after a few quick trips with a hone.

Bore_Cross_Hatch_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 05/08/21 at 18:31:58

Check out that deck height.  It’s the classic Suzuki Savage LowPo piston.

Deck_Height2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 05/08/21 at 18:32:49

I got this cylinder head off eBay from an outfit called Stars&Stripes.  Good folks.  It’s a primo head, vintage 1996.  There was a small shipping glitch, but Stars&Stripes ironed things out ASAP.  Overall good experience.

Cylinder_Head3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 05/08/21 at 18:33:33

Only problem with the head was the 8mm stud under the exhaust port.  It was slightly bent.  The stud was frozen, so I suspect it got bent when someone tried to remove it.  I just lobbed it off, drilled & tapped for an 8mm stud identical to the intake stud.  That worked well.

Exh_Stud.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 05/08/21 at 18:34:25

The stock intake ports are the best I have seen.  The valve seats are aligned well with the aluminum port, very little overhang.  No undercuts either.  Flow tests showed the intake flowed about 4% better than the other stock heads I have tested.  The exhaust ports flowed about 8% less than the other stock heads.  I really couldn’t find any reason for the reduced exhaust flow.  I checked it dimensionally and it agreed with my old sketches.  Tried a different set of valves.  De-carboned the port surfaces.  Must be a nuclear phenomenon.

Look at this intake port.  Pretty nice right outa da box.

Intake_Port_1_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 05/08/21 at 18:35:11

The improved intake flow might be due to the valves.  This head came with valves that have reduced diameter stems.  Never encountered a stock Savage head with reduced diameter valve stems.  It didn’t have any tell-tale signs of prior valve work.  Really looked like it came off the assembly line with these valves.  The 1996 part numbers are the same as the 2016 part numbers.  Any of you old-timers seen a stock Savage with reduced diameter valve stems?

Normal valve shown on left, reduced stem on right.

eBay_SS_Valve_vs_Stage_II_Head_Valve_Int.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 05/08/21 at 18:35:58

The head came with a head cover, rocker arms, rocker shafts, and a cam.  There were a few pits in the exhaust lobe and rocker pad, but nothing that would affect performance.  I used all the stuff that came with the head.  It was all in good shape.

Stock_Cam.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 05/08/21 at 18:36:39

A while back, I purchased a gasket kit on eBay.  It cost about $50 bucks.  I figured this would be a good time to try out the aftermarket head gasket.  The kit is made by an outfit called “NE Brand Super Gasket”.   Their part number is VG-3049M.  The head gasket fit well.  It’s a multi-layer steel (MLS) gasket but the coating does not look like Nitrile or Buna-N.  The coating looks more like flat-finish paint.  It was time to see if it could hack the mission.

Head_Gasket_NE2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 05/08/21 at 18:37:23

The guide seals that came with the NE kit failed on installation.  I ended up using OEM guide seals.  The NE seals were just too soft.  They tore as soon as I tried to install the valve.

Guide_Seal_Failure_32.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 05/08/21 at 18:38:21

The head cover needed a small epoxy repair to the sealing surface.  JB Weld worked fine.

Head_Cover_Repair_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 23:59:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a Hot Rod - Part 1: The Stocker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.