Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor (Read 1179 times)
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Re: Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor
Reply #60 - 09/19/22 at 17:51:16

DragBikeMike,

Any updates on the PWK38? I have a $40 Amazon credit burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm planning on getting the cheap knockoff and modifying my stock throttle cable to work with it. Are you still happy with it?

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #61 - 09/19/22 at 18:29:40

Yes, pleased as punch.  I've probably got somewhere north of 15K miles on it.  It never needs attention.  Always runs perfect.  Never needs adjustment.  It's been totally reliable.

I'm anxiously waiting for Sneezy to get his runnin.  He got his from a different vendor and there were some kinks to iron out.  I got two from JFG Racing, a 40mm (actually 38) and a 36mm.  They both were good quality and worked great.  I only ran the 36mm briefly.  It robbed too much from my top end.  The 38mm runs much better all-around and has a killer top end.  The 36 runs great up to about 5.5K and then signs off.  I much prefer the 38.  It doesn't give away any bottom end and extends the top end a good 1500 rpm or more.

Like all things "knock-off", it's a crap shoot.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #62 - 09/19/22 at 19:23:50

DragBikeMike wrote on 09/19/22 at 18:29:40:
Yes, pleased as punch.  I've probably got somewhere north of 15K miles on it.  It never needs attention.  Always runs perfect.  Never needs adjustment.  It's been totally reliable.

I'm anxiously waiting for Sneezy to get his runnin.  He got his from a different vendor and there were some kinks to iron out.  I got two from JFG Racing, a 40mm (actually 38) and a 36mm.  They both were good quality and worked great.  I only ran the 36mm briefly.  It robbed too much from my top end.  The 38mm runs much better all-around and has a killer top end.  The 36 runs great up to about 5.5K and then signs off.  I much prefer the 38.  It doesn't give away any bottom end and extends the top end a good 1500 rpm or more.

Like all things "knock-off", it's a crap shoot.

Nice! So all I need for the complete set up is:

1. Knockoff PWK38
2. Pod filter (already have)
3. Modify stock throttle cable (cutting and sanding?)
4. Narrower hose clamp possibly
5. Extra jets (which kind?)

Am I missing anything?

2011 RYCA - 94mm flat top Wiseco, stage 3 cam, PWK38, open exhaust, UNI filter, 14/52 chain drive
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #63 - 09/20/22 at 13:24:06

I went and bought another from JFG Racing.  Much better quality, and I will be putting that one on my hot rod motor.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 09/22/22 at 02:41:51

Yazman, I suggest you wait until you have the carb in hand before ordering any jets, needles, etc.  Theduderino received one with a different needle jet configuration that would not permit installation of standard Keihin main jets.  It needed shorter jets.

Your main jet should look exactly like this.  If it doesn't, you may have the removable needle jet setup.  Not necessarily a bad thing.

PWK_Float__Jets_2_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #65 - 09/22/22 at 02:44:33

Theduderino's looked like this.  There was a removable needle jet and the main jet threaded into the needle jet.  He had a bit of difficulty ironing out his main jets.  There's a lengthy post on here that goes over all the details.  Theduderino may be able to elaborate.

Duderinos_NJ_Removing.jpeg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #66 - 09/22/22 at 02:45:55

You also should verify that the slide cutaway is a #7.  Here you see the various slide cutaways.

PWK_Slides.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #67 - 09/22/22 at 02:46:30

Here are the slide cutaway dimensions.

Slide_Cutaway_Dimensions_001.png

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #68 - 09/22/22 at 02:50:14

Here's how to check the cutaway to verify that it's a #7.  Just place the slide on a flat surface and verify that a letter "W" drill bit just starts into the cutaway.  The letter "W" drill is .386", close enough.

Slide_Cutaway_No__7.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #69 - 09/22/22 at 02:53:12

Hey Sneezy, did you ever open up the JFG carb and check things out?  Does it have a standard PWK main and needle jet setup, or does it have that removeable contraption like Duderino's?  Is the slide a #7?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #70 - 09/22/22 at 07:29:28

No, I have not opened it up yet, but with all this talk going on I think I will finally crack that egg and see how nice the yolk looks.   Wink

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #71 - 10/02/22 at 11:46:20

Great work Mike!!  I love your approach and attention to detail!  Thanks.

I am also trying this approach on a non-running bike that I got cheap and don't want to sink a bunch of money in it until I know better what I bought.  It had no carb so I bought the PWK40 at JFG Racing.  It came with a #170 and #50 jet installed (I think they are standard Keihin size, but I'm not an expert on jets).  The e-clip was installed in the 4th slot which I found interesting (usually in the middle slot).  They also included an extra 45, 55, and 165 and 175.

Sorry, I got a little confused in your jetting with different air filtration and exhaust scenarios (I'm old and easily confused).  My bike has a stock exhaust and flat panel air filter in stock air box.  For jetting purposes, I'm thinking #35 and #140 and start with the e-clip in the 4th slot.  What do you think?  Thanks in advance!!

PS - For the stock throttle cable modification, I just snipped and filed down the bullet bead to what you say is a size 7.  I just kept test fitting it into the slide and through the carb top (you'll know when you get it right - takes some patience to get round and smooth - which isn't my strong suit).  In order to get enough exposed cable, I just hack sawed off the end nipple of the elbow on the carb end and filed it smooth.  It fits like a glove in the top of the carb (firm but still swivels).  That's hacking off a bit more than needed, but it was a clean location, and it's still in adjustment range at the throttle cable adjuster to remove free play.
« Last Edit: 10/02/22 at 12:53:07 by ThumperPaul »  

inserted_cable_at_carb.jpg
  IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #72 - 10/02/22 at 16:46:08

Thanks DBM! And thanks ThumperPaul for the cable tip. I got my PWK38 from JFG today, and it has 170 and 50 jets on it too. I ground down my cable barrel with a Dremel until it fit inside the top slide thing. I cut off the tube where it gets narrower as Paul did. The metal end of the throttle cable isn't secured to the top of the carb, so it kind of moves around when I work the throttle grip. I'm thinking about maybe electrical tape and then epoxy on top? I'm not sure how the jetting will work with a pod filter and fairly open exhaust. I'm only going to run for another week before I tear it down and throw in the high compression piston and cam, so I guess I'll have to monkey with the jetting anyways. I don't really understand where the clip is or how to get to it. But I assume it is set up like Paul's.

IP Logged
Yazman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #73 - 10/02/22 at 17:13:59

It fired up! That was easy, and $36 well spent. I spent less than an hour total, including modifying the stock cable.

The only problem: If you look in the pic, you can see that the throttle cable tube sticks up way high. I'm not sure how to get around this. And ideas?

EDIT: Also, what's with the octopus/spaghetti tube deal? Are these all just puke tubes? It seems awfully excessive...

IMG_20221002_2006032542.jpg

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #74 - 10/03/22 at 04:57:22

Hey Yazman.  The 10’ of vacuum tubing seems  like you are unpacking an octopus!  Lol.  The 2 tubes (1 located on each side) are “extra” for some other kind of bike that wants/needs this BS.  If you try to blow or suck through those tubes, you get nothing - they are blocked off.  If some bike needs them, they would have to be drilled out to function.  The 2 tubes on top of the carb are breather tubes.  Like the stock CV carb, just stuff those under the gas tank (I’ll probably shorten them a bit - too much tube dangling around.)

I haven’t installed mine yet - waiting for jets to arrive tomorrow.  But I am also concerned about the height of the carb where the cable throttle elbow goes.  Hopefully it will have clearance with the gas tank put into place.

I would not put epoxy on the top of the carb where the cable inserts.  Mine sits in there pretty snug and swivels.  Swiveling is actually good/okay.  Using the cable free play adjuster, I’m able to get mine to sit down in the inlet of the carb sufficient.  May have to come back to this, but I’m leaving as-is for now.

Unless DragBikeMike has a different recommendation, I’m going with a 35 and 140 jet.  I’m at sea level in Houston.  The set of jets I bought also includes a 38 and 145.  Those might get a try too.

Keep us posted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 12:54:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Evolution of a HotRod - Part 4 Carburetor

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.