Beefing up the Clutch (Read 1490 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Beefing up the Clutch
03/12/21 at 03:04:09

If you keep souping up your engine, eventually you will find a weak link.  In my case, the first weak link was the clutch.  In my never-ending search for power, the clutch started to slip.  Thankfully, nothing was damaged.

A quick inspection revealed that all the clutch components were in factory-new condition.  All the fiber and steel plates were in spec, and there was zero evidence of overheating.  The springs had the same force as they did at 1000 miles, and their free-length was in spec.  The release system was adjusted properly and there was adequate free-play.  The poor little clutch just couldn’t hold the power.

The immediate fix for my slipping clutch was to install a Barnett clutch kit.  The Barnett kit fixed the problem, but it did so by using springs that are about 13% stiffer than stock.  Those stiffer springs increase stress in the release mechanism.   I would prefer a solution that does not increase stress in a failure-prone component.

It was time to take a hard look at the Savage clutch.  What can be done to beef up this weak link?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Beefing up the Clutch
Reply #1 - 03/12/21 at 03:06:00

I’ve seen several reports on this forum pertaining to failed clutch release cams.  Like this one from MMRanch.

MMRanch_Clutch_Release_Cam.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 03/12/21 at 03:07:20

When the release cam fails, the damage won’t necessarily be confined to the cam itself.  The cam fails, falls apart, and proceeds to wreck up other stuff.  Like this release plate.

MMRanch_Cam_Failure.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/12/21 at 03:07:58

It could be a lot worse.  There are all sorts of gears, chains, sprockets, bearings and other doodads that the rock-hard metal fragments can play hell with.  So right up front, any improvements to the clutch assembly must take into consideration the release cam.  Anything that increases stress on the release cam must be avoided.

The plan was to try to beef up the clutch without using stiffer springs.  If that couldn’t be achieved, then figure out the safest way to use stiffer springs.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 03/12/21 at 03:08:49

The stock Savage clutch is a typical motorcycle wet clutch.  It uses a total of eleven plates (six fiber drive plates and five steel driven plates).  There are four coil springs that clamp all the plates together and lock up the clutch.  In general, there are three ways to increase the torque limit on the clutch.

Increase the clamping force (i.e., stiffer springs)

Increase the coefficient of friction (i.e., change the friction material)

Increase the surface area of the friction material (i.e., more plates, larger plates, etc.)

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 03/12/21 at 03:10:05

It is easy to increase the spring force.  A set of Barnett springs or early DR650 springs will do the job.  But with heavier springs, the release cam is going to be subjected to more stress every time you pull in the clutch lever.  For now, that option was off the table.

Increasing the coefficient of friction might be as easy as switching to the Barnett plates, or possibly EBC plates.  I could test that by opening the clutch cover and swapping out the Barnett springs with stock springs.  Problem is, I don’t know anything about the coefficient of those aftermarket plates.  It might be higher.  It might be lower.  It might be the same.  I guess it would be reasonable to assume that if I ran the Barnett plates with stock springs, and if it didn’t slip, then the friction characteristics of the Barnett material must be better (in this case a higher coefficient).

Increasing the surface area of the friction material is complicated, a lot more complicated.  Naturally, I chose that approach.  Hey, it’s complicated.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 03/12/21 at 03:10:54

I have seen ideas posted on the forum regarding clutch mods.  The addition of another friction plate, adding a steel plate, sanding down plates to allow room for an extra plate, replacing the special outer friction plate with a standard friction plate, eliminating the wave washer, shimming springs, stiffer springs…..  Did I miss any?

We have this crazy powdered-metal release cam that breaks unexpectedly.  Get the geometry a little out of whack and you end up with a snapped release cam.  It’s usually a long walk home.  Any modifications must consider the release cam.

I initially figured that the broken release cams were the result of coil-bind and/or poor clutch pushrod setup.  After a closer look, I think there might be a little more to it.

« Last Edit: 03/12/21 at 04:20:13 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/12/21 at 03:12:33

This shows three clutch springs, a stock spring on the right, an early DR650 spring in the center, and a Barnett spring on the left.  The DR spring coil-binds at 22mm.  The stock spring coil-binds at 19mm.  The Barnett spring coil-binds at 17mm.  On a stock clutch, the installed spring height is 26mm.  Using these values, you can figure out available travel.  Available travel is 4mm with DR springs, 7mm with stock springs, and 9mm with Barnett springs.  That’s a huge variation.  Be careful with springs.  Put in the wrong springs, or reduce the installed height too much, and you might set up coil bind.  Coil bind can result in a broken release cam.

Coil_Bind_DR2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 03/12/21 at 03:13:54

The release mechanism has a 7:1 ratio, meaning for every 7mm that the lever arm travels the release cam pushes the pushrod 1mm.  I checked the release travel several ways to get an idea how much the clutch springs would be compressed when the lever on the handlebars was pulled all the way in.

First adjust the clutch cable to remove all the slack.  Then loosen all the clutch cover bolts.  Then pull the clutch lever on the handlebars all the way in and lock it in place.

Checking_Release_Travel_12.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 03/12/21 at 03:15:11

Lightly tighten all the clutch cover bolts (finger tight only).  Adjust the bolts until the gap between the cover and the gasket is uniform all the way around.  Then measure the gap with a feeler gage.  It’s 1.8mm (.070”).  That’s how much the release cam can move the clutch release plate, which is how much the springs will be compressed.

Checking_Release_Travel_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 03/12/21 at 03:16:41

I double checked the release travel with the clutch cover removed.  When the release lever was moved ½” (12.7mm), the release cam pushed a dial indicator .065” (1.65mm).  Pretty close.  I think we have that piece of data nailed down.

Release_Cam_Travel2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 03/12/21 at 03:18:16

Let’s look at some of the things that affect the pressure disk travel.  This is the pressure disk.  It’s the part that the springs act on to squeeze all the plates together.

Pressure_Disk_22.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 03/12/21 at 03:19:43

If you assemble the clutch with a couple of light springs, you can cycle the pressure disk with your fingers.  It makes it easy to check a few things.

Checking_Springs_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 03/12/21 at 03:21:46

On the stock clutch assembly, there is .243” clearance between the inner-most friction plate and the bottom of the clutch basket slot.  I call it the “bottom plate gap”.  Note how the edge of the hub flange is flush with the outer edge of the basket.  The hub rotates but it does not move in & out.  It’s position is fixed on the transmission input shaft.  Throw in some extra plates and the only component that will change position is the pressure disk.

Stock_Bottom_Plate_Gap__2432.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 03/12/21 at 03:23:41

When I push in on the spring bolts, I can move the pressure disk inward until it hits the stops in the clutch basket.  Then I can use feeler gages to measure how much it moved.  On the stock clutch, the pressure disk moves about .157” (4mm).  That’s well shy of coil bind, and way more than the available release mechanism travel.  Nothing will interfere with clutch operation.

Press_Disc_Travel_Stock__1572.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 14:38:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beefing up the Clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.