Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A good clutch diagram? (Read 170 times)
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A good clutch diagram?
06/21/20 at 17:22:19

Anyone have a good clutch assembly diagram?
My clymers actually discusses and has pics of two totally different clutches. It also says something about two washers, one larger than the other, that affect oil flow to the clutch?
I didn't see them when I was in it.
I did install the oil pump drive backward, but haven't run the bike, so I'm going back into it tomorrow.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: A good clutch diagram?
Reply #1 - 06/21/20 at 19:39:23

I checked both of my manuals and they don't show a good breakdown. So go to Suzukipartsmonster.com , usually a parts breakdown can help locate every part and sometimes the order of assembly. Good luck

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/22/20 at 08:20:22

If you don't have the The Savage Companion Photo CD, get it:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

Lots of good pictures about the clutch.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 06/22/20 at 09:20:19

I can't imagine a better exploded view than the one in the Clymer manual. I just re-read Chapter 5 in its entirety and it seems clear to me. Can you point there where it is providing conflicting information and perhaps we can clear it up.

ls650_clutch.jpg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 06/22/20 at 13:54:57

Exact same as the parts breakdown, well maybe even clearer.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/23/20 at 14:42:29

It may just be my book, but it goes from pics of the right clutch, to one with springs oriented horizontal around the clutch basket.
It also describe a different clutch on those pages.
Anyhow, the clutch is in now, and when I get a few more things done on it, I'll get it out to try.

IP Logged
armchairbiker
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/29/20 at 11:54:44

I keep reading about some pin that one needs to take special care not drop/lose or else the oil pump doesn't engage. Is that something I should keep in mind if I want to disassemble the clutch basket?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/29/20 at 14:19:09

Pay Particular attention to the oil pump drive gear. Its easy to get in backwards and the pump wotnt pump.

When ya get to that gear, I cant remember if you must remove it or not,, but what a bummer if it falls out,, not sure now,, its been years,, Clean a spot and put something on it,, I use sharpies,, just KNOW which is the outside of that gear..
Keep up with each side cover bolt, in order, and with the sealing washers, by sticking them in a piece of cardboard with an outline and a slot for every bolt

Avoid a puzzle,,

The care required to put it together without causing a problem cant be overstated..
Several easy passes torquing them, thumb on 1/4" ratchet head, fingertips bringing the ratchet around, no closed fist, dont use your arm, fingers,, FEEL of them,, If youre coming around on the third pass and one doeasnt wanna turn,, Dont turn it,,
Fixin a leak is a Lot easier than fixin stripped threads or busted bolt,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 06/29/20 at 19:05:04

Armchair, the pin in question is piece (26) in the illustration that Gary posted.  It's best to install some sort of cleanliness plugs in the openings in the crankcase before you try to pull off the clutch assembly.  It's easy to lose the pin.  It can drop out and roll into the crankcase.

The pin locks the oil pump drive gear (27) to the clutch basket.  If the pin isn't installed the drive gear won't turn with the clutch basket.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/11/23 at 13:59:56

Found this thread - I was just taking apart my clutch cover, and found the pin 26 inside the case. My mechanic replaced my clutch about a month ago, and the clutch just didn't feel right ever since, so I opened up the cover to inspect it and found the pin loose in the case. It is a 6mm by 6mm pin.

Does that mean my oil was not pumping? I have only put on maybe 200-300 miles on the bike since, and I just drained the oil to inspect the clutch, and the oil was completely black, worst I've ever seen.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/11/23 at 14:31:42

that's a shame... time to fire the mechanic.
not that anyone couldn't have made the same mistake.
no oil at speed will most likely take years off the engine.

there's also a possibility that the gear was installed backward and disengage with the pump gear.  both can easily be checked before sealing up.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/11/23 at 15:52:23

This gets worse. Took apart the clutch basket, the gear behind it was installed backwards and the pin dropped - at least luckily i found the pin in the engine case. The 32mm nut was also loose, luckily held by the bent washer. Being loose, i was able to take it off with my fingers, now i gotta run to home depot to get an impact to put it back on. What is the torque spec on that nut?

« Last Edit: 08/12/23 at 23:14:22 by och »  
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/11/23 at 15:56:20

I just shot this video and sent to my mechanic. I just hope my engine isn't toast at this point - he did the clutch twice, first time with Barnett springs and it was dragging badly, and then second time around with stock springs. I could've put on about 600 miles on the bike since then with the oil pump disengaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx6pIK9G-7I

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/11/23 at 19:26:59

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 08/12/23 at 09:51:34

OCH, fantastic video.  You did a great job on that video.  It should go in the tech section with a title like "Oil Pump Drive Pin - Installation Problem".  One of the moderators should grab that link and put it in the tech section.

All is not lost.  You have a number of things in your favor.

1.  The heavy wear on the engine case (around the transmission input bearing) shows that the gear was turning.  Based on the amount of wear (sufficient to hold the gear centered around the shaft when you release it) indicates that it was turning a lot and there must have been significant driving force.  The pin might have remained in place for the entire time you ran the engine, or at least most of the time you ran the engine.

2.  You removed the head cover, so you know what things look like in there.  I suspect the head assembly would be the first area in the engine that would fail due to low or no oil pressure.  Since you had the head cover off, you know what things look like in there.  As I recall, your valve clearance was normal (always a good sign), but you mentioned that the cam looked unusual.  If you have some pictures, maybe you could post them.  We could help you assess any damage.

3.  The engine was still operational when you started taking it apart, so you don't have any valves stuck open.

4.  Now you know for certain that the mechanic you were using is not a very good mechanic.  It's great that you shared that video with him/her.  It will help the mechanic learn and improve.  I am anxious to hear about the mechanic's response.  Also, curious to hear if the mechanic will reach out to you and try to compensate you for the trouble and damage.  They should at least return every penny of your money.

5.  You are learning a whole bunch of stuff, improving your skills, and probably acquiring a bunch of new tools.

Keep at it brother.  Don't give up.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 12:58:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A good clutch diagram?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.