YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #75 - 03/21/21 at 03:14:57

Zippy:

A 120/90-16 rear tire is really not an option - I did a search and there are only about 2 tires available in that size (Kenda,IRC).....and none of them are a tire I want to use.  I really want a common tire size so I can buy a tire that will be available if I ruin a tire and need a replacement while far away from home.

As I am getting farther along in the fitting process and have been able to get the rear fender fitting more properly - the rear tire size becomes far less evident.  The large rear fender does a good job of covering a lot of the tire.

I agree that an 18" diameter rear wheel and a 120/80-18 tire would be a lot more in helping to achieve the proper look - but it just isn't an option in a tubeless cast wheel.  

I believe I can make this setup work in a way that will be acceptable - although not necessarily ideal.  The goal is to make a reliable, comfortable bike I can use to go touring - and make it reasonably retro looking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #76 - 03/21/21 at 08:43:33

Dave, There is always some conflict between building a bike to look great (only), and buiding  bike to ride like YOU want and still look good.
I checked the Shinko website and the 230's are
100/90-19 front-26.1" od
130/90-16 rear-25.2" od
And the 250's are
mj90-19 front-25.59" od
mt90-16 rear-25.59" od

The 250's have a modern tread and would be fine for your first set.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 03/21/21 at 09:41:42

badwolf wrote on 03/21/21 at 08:43:33:
I checked the Shinko website and the 230's are
100/90-19 front-26.1" od
130/90-16 rear-25.2" od
And the 250's are
mj90-19 front-25.59" od
mt90-16 rear-25.59" od

The 250's have a modern tread and would be fine for your first set.

Are you suggesting I should take the new 230's I bought and installed off the rims - then buy some 250's and use them instead? Shocked

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #78 - 03/21/21 at 10:17:01

No, I am running 230's on mine and am very pleased. But if you don't want  the front to look taller than the back, the 250's are the same size. Unless you ride beside a mirror you won't be able to see them while you're riding anyways! With that big rear fender,(wich I like) and the rear having way more rubber than the front it will be hard to tell the front is a pinch taller than the back.
After static balancing the drive pulley/hub, and tire/rim seperatly I now have 6k on the rear 130/90-16 230 and it is wearing very even, should get 9-10k on it.

One last thing about lowering your forks 1 1/2", when I run my 16" front wheel with a 100/90-16 tire it lowers the front about the same. You know I'm not normaly a peg dragger, but I have noticed the footboards scraping quite often. Keep that in mind when you mount your pegs. Measure your other bikes footpeg height, don't just go with the botton of the frame.,,,,,(unless you WANT to drag your pegs all the time, it always makes it seem like you're going faster)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 03/21/21 at 10:41:24

I believe the proper sequence for getting the seat/footpeg/handlebar layout - is to first get the seat mounted (it's location will be controlled by the fuel tank and rear fender).  Once the seat is fixed - then the footpegs will be laid out to provide a comfortable position.  I believe they should be somewhere very close to being directly under my knees when seated - without my lower leg having to angle very much forward or back.  I will try to keep the pegs close the frame and narrow - and not too low so they are apt to drag easily.  Then finally I believe the handlebars are the last thing to fit.

I really do want to try and keep the 100/90-19 front and 130/60-16 rear, as the tire selection is really good in those sizes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 01/03/22 at 03:42:34

Hard to believe it has been more than 8 months since I have done anything on this project.  When summer arrives I move on to the yard work that is required, cutting firewood for the coming winter.....and going riding on the bikes that are functional!

I have started working on the bike again now that winter has arrived.  My fork tubes are still at Gordy's Goodworks........more than 8 months and I still haven't got them back.  I have started calling on a regular basis and I keep getting promises that they are the "next" thing on his agenda.  At this point I am told they are shortened and the threading is what will be done next.

I did a bit of work on the rear hub bearing spacer.  In order to install the double pulley bearing I machined the spacer, then machined and soldered on a washer to protect the rubber bearing seal.

Here is the bearing and spacer in the Cafe' bike hub......it will be replated before it is installed permanently.  This is the KZ750 rear pulley from the Cafe' bike, and I will also be putting the double Kawasaki pulley set on this bike.  The gearing change really makes a huge difference......3,500 rpm at 60mph and 4,000 rpm at 70mph really makes for a nice relaxed ride on the highway.

IMG_9575_001.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #81 - 01/03/22 at 03:45:40

I also worked on the adapter bracket to mount the SV650 brake caliper on the Savage forks.  (The GS450/550 cast wheel rotor has been cut down to the same diameter as a stock Savage rotor).

Here is what the bracket looks like.  I used steel as I had a nice piece the proper thickness....I might have been able to use aluminum but the piece really isn't very heavy.

IMG_9578.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #82 - 01/03/22 at 03:47:09

This is what it looks like when mounted.  I didn't have the proper length bolts so please ignore the washers and spacers I needed to use while making the bracket.

I wanted to get the caliper as close to the original position as possible - but the limiting issue was the interference of the inner caliper bolt with the lug on the fork leg.....this is as close as I can get it.

IMG_9577.JPG

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #83 - 01/03/22 at 05:04:11

I’m glad that the wayward SV caliper finally found a good home.

It seems to be the winter for motorcycle projects. Every motorcycle forum that I participate in has multiple winter projects. I’m at the reassembly phase of a CB900 restoration that included a full engine tear down.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #84 - 01/03/22 at 07:12:59

Great work Dave!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #85 - 01/06/22 at 10:44:56

I was able to machine a pulley hub for a Kawasaki KZ750 rear pulley....it requires taking a bit off the hub to move the pulley in a bit.

IMG_9580.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #86 - 01/06/22 at 10:47:08

Then I machined a stainless cover for use under the nuts - to hide the extra set of holes that had to be drilled in the pulley flange.  Then I got the pulley hub powder coated, the near double bearing installed and mounted the pulley I finished last year.

IMG_9583.JPG

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #87 - 01/06/22 at 11:13:29

So, aside from the added flange, is the new left side wheel spacer the same as the modified one for a double row bearing Savage?

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #88 - 01/06/22 at 11:58:55

Armen wrote on 01/06/22 at 11:13:29:
So, aside from the added flange, is the new left side wheel spacer the same as the modified one for a double row bearing Savage?

Yep....the bearing location and spacers are the same.  The Kawasaki pulley just has a different offset and bolt circle.  The hub just needs the mounting surface shaved off 0.12" for the pulley to be in alignment.  I also make a bush to fit the larger center hole in the Kawasaki pulley - but it is not really needed.  The Kawasaki pulley needs to have 6 new holes drilled to match the Suzuki bolt circle....and it is easier for me to drill those if the pulley is centered on the Suzuki hub and I can use the existing hub holes to mark where the new holes need to be drilled.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #89 - 01/07/22 at 15:25:58

Looks like Dave is bucking for some new Gold stars.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:43:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.