Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #225 - 03/08/24 at 05:10:23

Thanks for all your kind words and support.

I am posting so many of these photos and descriptions so that others may get an idea of how to do things (or how not to do them when the results aren't good).  Also to let folks know that modifying a bike is not for the faint hearted or those who cannot remain focused - and it takes a lot of work to get it done.  (I have a nephew that can start projects - but he never gets them completed and has filled his parents farm buildings with all of his failed projects......the farm will be sold in a year or two and it remains to be seen what will happen with all of this junk).

This is the time of year when I can get a lot of garage time, and being retired helps considerably.  There isn't much of anything I can do outside as the ground is just too wet to allow any kind of wood cutting or equipment travel across the yard.

I did take a few days last week to build a waste oil burner to put in my outdoor wood furnace.  With our cars and equipment I get a significant amount of waste oil that I need to do something with.  I had seen on YouTube a number of folks who had built burners that can burn waste oil efficiently.  I built this from an old freon tank and some exhaust pipe and copper tubing.  It uses gravity flow for the oil - and the oil tank is another old freon tank that sits a couple of feet higher than the burner.  The air supply is a 50cfm electric blower.  

IMG_3125.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #226 - 03/08/24 at 05:13:53

It burns about 5 hours of oil in 8 hours.  It does not provide as much heat as a wood fire - but for the current 50 degree outdoor temperatures it does keep up with heating the garage and the house.  I have been burning it in the daytime when I can watch it - there are no automatic controls or safeties and I need to keep an eye on how it is running and adjust the oil flow to get the burn proper.  The fuel/air mixture does change when you switch from burning 5W-20 from a car versus the sooty 15W-50 from the diesel engines - and you have to tweak the valve to get a clean burn.

It has turned out to be a winner and I have burned about 30 gallons of oil the past week - I only have about 4 gallons left and I will have used up all the oil I had saved!

Capture_016.PNG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #227 - 03/08/24 at 06:50:43

Well....I am bailing out on the XS400 pegs.  They just seem a bit too hard to get right - the brake lever and clearance of the swingarm and header is just too restrictive.....and the shifter lever remains a concern.

I am going with a modern set of folding rearsets that will be far easier to adapt.

Rearsets_001.PNG

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #228 - 03/08/24 at 17:52:20

The build is looking good Dave.  It's fun to follow your progress, thanks for sharing.

Build threads are my favorite.  I enjoy seeing how others solve problems or improve on what others have done before.  I "stole" my front tank mount from your original cafe build and probably some other stuff I forgot about.  I know I got ideas from others and of course, I stole some RYCA ideas.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #229 - 03/08/24 at 21:23:44

I have a set like that I bought for the tracker cause they were folding , unlike the Ryca set. They won’t work on the 250 , maybe for the SR500. Super easy to mount and fab control rods , good choice. Good to keep a set on the shelf , never know when you’ll build a bike ! LOL

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #230 - 03/14/24 at 17:22:51

We had a big rain storm this afternoon - and I was able to get into the garage for a bit.  (Deb and I had our 30 year anniversary on Tuesday....so working in the garage on that day was not an option).

Mounting these folding pegs with built in brake/shift levers is going to make this task so much easier.  I only need one mounting point, and it is not located remotely from the peg as the XS400 pegs were - plus I only need to make the linkage for the brake pedal and shifter to function.

I wanted to use some 1-1/4" square tubing with 1/8" wall - but I didn't have any.  I drove to Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware and Home Depot and they didn't have anything useful.  It seems that all the new hardware suppliers are stocking angles...not much else.

I did have some 1-1/4" tubing that was 1/16" wall.  It was about 2 feet long and I supported each end on a board and jumped on it - it didn't bend or deflect.  I decided that I will use it - but reinforce it with a 3/8" bolt in the center.  "IF" the mounts were to fail, it would likely be from a tension event that pulls/tears the tubing from the weld.  Therefore I can tighten the bolt and put some preload compression on the steel tubing and reduce the tension loads it sees.

IMG_3181.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #231 - 03/14/24 at 17:26:16

The square tubing is right at 2-1/4" long, and it is close to being correct.  If I want to reduce how far the pegs are out - I can take a bit off prior to welding on the outer plates.  I will weld the tubes to the inner plates, then use the bolts to hold the outer plates while I figure out how they will be shaped and the location of the pegs.

IMG_3182.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #232 - 03/14/24 at 17:30:04

The curved area behind the peg mount is to allow a cross bar to be installed to link the right and left side mounts.  This will help to reduce the stresses and flex when I stand on the pegs (to see farther down the road or make adjustments to my Fruit of the Loom).

I will not install the cross bar until everything else is complete - once the bar is installed it will be necessary to have the muffler and muffler bracket removed from the bike.

UPDATE:  Last night while I was sleeping........my mind decided that the cross bar will have threaded inserts in both ends, and it will be bolted between the inner plates.  This will allow it to be bolted into place and it will be easier to install.
« Last Edit: 03/15/24 at 04:00:11 by Dave »  

IMG_3183_001.JPG

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #233 - 03/15/24 at 19:40:21

That looks awesome Dave.  I was going to add a center brace to my mids but it turned out strong enough without it.  But, the brace is a superior design for sure.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #234 - 03/15/24 at 21:55:05

I thought there was a relief cut from square tubing on belt side ? Same as Ryca just different end plates ? I like it , has to be strong enough to stand on the pegs. Tracker with mids , hmmm.  Roll Eyes

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #235 - 03/16/24 at 08:25:04

It turns out that I could not use hex head bolts inside the square tubing, as the back side where the hex head is located has a frame member behind - so I had to use countersunk head bolts.

I tried all the local hardware stores and I could not find a 3/8" countersunk bolt that was 2.5" long.  I drove over to Florence Hardware and they did not have a 3/8" that was long enough - but they did have one in the 1/2" diameter box.  So I switched to 1/2" bolts.

IMG_3186.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #236 - 03/16/24 at 08:27:50

I also found that I had some bolts left over from a previous project that I had center drilled and threaded for a 5/16" center bolt - and they just happened to be a perfect fit for inside the tubing that will be used for the cross bar.  I just had to cut the head off and they were perfect!

I have cut the bar to the correct length and will plug weld the threaded piece inside the tubing.

IMG_3188.JPG

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #237 - 03/16/24 at 10:11:10

So, is the intent of the long countersunk bolt simply to hold things together while toy weld it up?  Do you think a set of these mid controls could be fabricated without welding.  Almost looks like you could do that.  

Very nice job.  Looks factory.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #238 - 03/16/24 at 15:27:20

The long countersunk bolt is intended to supplement the square tube for strength - as I would have preferred for the tubing to be a bit thicker.

However - it is allowing me to assemble all this stuff and hold it together prior to welding.  Once I get the parts bolted together, I can leave them like that until I get the seat figured out - which has the added benefit of allowing me to sit on the set and grab the handlebars and see if I like the position of the footpegs before things are welded up permanently.

You could almost bolt a set of mid footpegs together - except for the torque that would occur when the pegs are offset forward or rearward of the square tubing.  On vintage motorcycles that have a single bolt and are adjustable - the mounting point and peg have teeth/splines that prevent the piece from rotating once you get it where you want it.

I plug welded the cross tube and then used my lathe to cut off the high part of the weld.  I cut a small groove between the tube and the inner piece and filled it with JB Weld to make the seam watertight.  I will clean that up once the JB Weld is fully set.

IMG_3189.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 01:37:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.