Retro Thumper project (Read 1981 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #15 - 02/22/21 at 18:43:29

Dave, that engine combo sounds just right.  I think you will be pleased with the power delivery, and the vibes should be minimal too.  I'm curious how the stock CV carb will work with the bigger engine.  BTW, the Fastman is correct about the stock airbox.  It's easy to use with aftermarket carbs.

Being able to click off 160 miles between pit stops will be sweet.  That tank looks great on your cafe.  I'm sure it will be equally nice on the Retro Thumper.  

Am I seeing things or does that Tempter have a kink-free exhaust header?  That might be a good way to install a Dyna muffler without having to procure the special adapter.  Any one have an idea what the actual model designation is for the Tempter?  Is there any sort of parts fiche on-line so we could cross check the part number for the header?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/22/21 at 19:11:16

I don't know of any online parts source for the Tempter....or even what countries they were sold in.

There are some parts that would be nice to have access to:  Those head cover side pieces with the fins are nicer than the chrome ones on the Savage...and the header and muffler too!  And I sure could use a seat, front and rear fender for my project!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 02/22/21 at 20:12:24

I know for sure it was sold in Japan. I find one in auction house in Japan from time to time 3 to 5k + shipping/ customs. Yeah maybe when I win the lottery !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #18 - 02/22/21 at 22:21:31

Dave: the '03-'04 S40 seat is a single and uber comfy with the same cover as later seats. Fits directly into stock seat mounts. $40 on e-bay.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2BgAAOSwcIpeel72/s-l640.jpg
Also, remember this:http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/triumh_bonneville_seat.jpg ?
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 02/22/21 at 23:03:55

The model designation is ST400.  I found this source.

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-st400v-tempter-nk43a_model50188/partslist/

Looks like those head covers are no longer available.  They are part numbers 11171-07F00 and 11172-07F00.  Header 14150-07F00 also looks like it is no longer available.  I didn't look for the seat.  But the illustrated parts breakdowns and part numbers might help you track down some of the tidbits.

I did a cursory cross check and many of the Tempter parts are interchangeable.  For instance, all of the clutch parts seem to be interchangeable.  Same for valves, valve springs & cotters.

Anyone familiar with the CMS outfit?  I recall seeing it in one of the recent posts regarding muffler installation, the gasket/connector issue.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 02/23/21 at 08:30:36

I hope one of us wins the lottery, there are several here who would like a ST400. 😎🏍

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #21 - 02/23/21 at 08:42:59

Dave,

I think an ST650 would be a fine street bike for an aging (but not aging-out) rider.

If you follow Classic Octane on YouTube (and you should), Taylor uses custom saddles made by Tuffside. You might want to see if they can match a saddle to your tank to give you that Tempter look.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 02/23/21 at 16:52:44

I believe the front fender will be this from a 1980 KZ750.

It fits the curve of the tire nicely, it has good coverage and will provide a good amount of protection from road debris and water.  It needs just a little bit of tweaking at the fork mounts.

IMG_7628.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/23/21 at 16:56:27

I bought a KZ400 rear fender to graft onto the front part of the stock fender - it doesn't match up real well.

I also bought a 1981 Honda Goldwing rear fender to graft onto the stock fender - it hasn't arrived yet.

And - I think the winner is going to be a rear fender from a Moto Guzzi California.  It won't require grafting onto the stock fender - but it will require some work to make new fender mounts.  It appears to be a pretty good match to the front fender I chose and has a nice vintage look.

Fender.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 02/25/21 at 16:39:28

I had a bit of a disappointment today.  A few years ago while gathering up parts for this bike - I bought a really nice set of Intruder 800 shocks.  These are the forum recommended shocks for lifting the rear and getting a better ride.

I put them on the bike today - and discovered that although the shocks are bright and shiny and look like new....there is no dampening and the shocks bounce like a pogo stick.

These replacement shocks are offered by a motorcycle store in Cincinnati, and they list a telephone number.  I am going to see if these shocks would be a good replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VS700-VS800-Intruder-S50-Boulevard-12-25-Dual...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VS700-VS800-Intruder-S50-Boulevard-12-25-Dual...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VS1400-Intruder-S83-Boulevard-12-25-Short-Bla...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #25 - 02/27/21 at 09:21:25

This looks cool. I just wish your were in a hurry! Grin

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #26 - 02/27/21 at 10:28:47

He is in the vision stage , trying to imagine what he is building , remember shapes and lines are super important , colors are unimportant. Beginning the parts gathering stage , here is where it starts to take shape. Soon there after he will develop the sickness where the project becomes all consuming , everything all thoughts are of the project. Dreams , day dreams every minute of everyday is filled all the problem solving your brain can handle. Buying parts get out of hand , money is the avenue to an end , possible return too normalcy if you can just complete the task at hand. Can you finish it. And then ask yourself , Is it really done ? Of course not !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 02/27/21 at 11:34:56

Today I worked on the mount for the front fender.  The hoes needed for the Savage forks are a bit higher and a bit closer together than the KZ750 that this fender came from.  You can see the old holes in this photo.

IMG_7651.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 02/27/21 at 11:35:46

In order to close up the old holes, I cut some 3/8" steel rod on my lathe to use as plugs.

IMG_7652.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 02/27/21 at 11:36:25

I set the plugs in just a bit shy of the surface.

IMG_7653.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 02:56:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.