Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Retro Thumper project
Reply #30 - 02/27/21 at 11:37:51

Then I used body solder to fill in the holes.  There are a few small divots - but unfortunately you can not add solder easily - as everything remelts and you have to start filing all over again.  The small pits will be easily filled in the painting stage.

IMG_7654.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #31 - 02/27/21 at 11:39:34

What size tire are you using? Should you wait to make this adjustment until you select a wheel and tire?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 02/27/21 at 11:40:21

The bolt holes being closer together caused a bit of a problem inside the fender, as the bolt heads would have one side sitting on an uneven surface.

I made plates that will provide a level inside surface for the bolt heads.  These plates are being attached with JBWeld....the epoxy is already applied and the fender is sitting in my car out in the sun (poor mans solar oven).

IMG_7656.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 02/27/21 at 12:11:28

JB Weld curing in the sun!

I put masking tape around the piece while I tightened the plate down, and then scraped off the excess that oozed out with a screwdriver - then peeled up the tape once the JBWeld had stopped oozing.

IMG_7657.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #34 - 02/27/21 at 15:26:36

Gary is right my old & new front tires are both 120/80-18 over 3/4” height difference maybe closer to 1”. Old is dual purpose and new is a performance/touring tire , that’s a huge difference for the same size. I guess there is no industry standards for sizing except the rim sizes. They should use a physical height and width in specs. I hate buying and then shipping them back.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 02/27/21 at 16:40:13

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/27/21 at 11:39:34:
What size tire are you using? Should you wait to make this adjustment until you select a wheel and tire?

The front will be a 100/90=19, and I have a used  Dunlop tire and wheel that size on the bike right now.  I taped sections of a kitchen sponge to the tire to set the clearance when I marked the hole location.  I think there will be enough clearance even with a new tire - if I need more clearance I can slot the holes......I will be getting the bike all put together and running before I do the final paint.

For the rear tire I am planning on using a 130/90-16 tire - I am currently shopping for a cast wheel, and then I will buy a set of tires.  Initially I am going to buy a set of Shinko tires = no sense buying expensive tires to mount and let sit for a year or two as the bike is finished.  Having the rear shocks and correct size tire is what will determine the fender height and most likely the seat height as well.  Although spoked wheels will look more appropriate on this bike - I do want to be able to run tubeless so patching is easier when riding a long way from home.

I think the tank, seat and rear fender orientation is very important to making the bike look proper......so no permanent structure will be built until I have the rear wheel and tire, shocks, seat and tank all mocked up and I like the lines.  In making that decision I also need to consider how the tail light, turn signals and luggage fit onto the frame.  After that I believe the foot peg and handlebar choices will be made. Then I believe the work to determine how the air cleaner, battery and other electronics will be laid out.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #36 - 02/27/21 at 19:21:23

Dave is so much a enigneer! Everything planed out in order in advance, I think most of us are of the ''Yea, what do I feel like working on today? '' school.
A couple sugestions from a long ride junkie,
1- You can't have too big a gas tank ! 4 gallons is good. 5 gallons is better! When you want to ride the twistys, just don't fill it full.
2- Small windshields look cool, but you will hate it in the rain, and cold. I like mine high enough the top edge is directly in my line of sight. You won't notice it after a while and you can roll your neck a little to see over, or under it. ( fog, rain, bright lights at night, and bugs )
3- Hand guards keep your fingers a LOT warmer.
4- When you ride solo, a short backrest means A LOT on a long day.
5- Soft luggage is handi to take off and carry with you,,,, BUT,,, if you have to leave it on the bike unsupervised, you want at least one hard box you can lock.
6- Buy a GOOD rainsuit, and ALWAYS have it with you.

Just a few of my thoughts, I'm sure some will disagree, so ignore if you wish.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 02/28/21 at 02:13:39

badwolf:

Part of this is a balancing act between having a bike that looks like a vintage bike, and also having a bike that is comfortable to ride.

The gas tank I am using is right around 4 gallons - it is the same one I have on the Cafe' bike and has a range around 160 miles before reserve.  Having saddlebags and a windshield will likely cut that down a bit.

I have a Suzuki OEM windshield to try - it came along at a good price so I bought it a couple years ago.  There really won't be a lot of protection on this bike compared to a real touring or sport touring bike.  I am putting fenders on that will do a much better job than the tiny fenders on the Cafe' bike.....that is a horrid bike to ride on wet roads, as it throws water all over me.  I really try to avoid rainy days - but you know how often a sunny day can have a pop up shower that comes out of nowhere!

I was able to buy some very nice used GIVI hard saddlebags.  They are really nice as they have a small door that opens on the top - and they also open completely along a bottom hinge. I got them on Craigslist and the owner never used them!  If I need more luggage I will likely strap things to the seat behind me.....not sure is I will have any kind of a small luggage rack on top behind the seat.

I do have a rainsuit - but not a fantastic one.  The leg zipper is always a bit troublesome and gets that little piece of fabric in it that jams the zipper.  It is hard to be careful and precise about zipping it up when you are in a hurry!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 02/28/21 at 13:36:17

The front fender is modified and mounted.

It may get a small mud flap on the bottom if I think it needs less spray from the tire.  I will ride it first and then decide before the final paint is applied.

IMG_7658.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #39 - 02/28/21 at 16:24:51

Looks good Dave. A flap will give it a British look as well as period correct. I was trying my stock fender , looks ok but 19”” fenders just don’t look good with 18” wheel. Maybe I’ll just lower it and call it done

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 02/28/21 at 16:37:34

Ruttly wrote on 02/28/21 at 16:24:51:
19”” fenders just don’t look good with 18” wheel. Maybe I’ll just lower it and call it done

I know exactly what you are dealing with......I am currently looking to do another fender for the Cafe' bike.  I found an 18" fender from a Honda CB250 Nighthawk that fits well - but it was too long and the mount needs to be revised.  I have cut the fender apart to shorten it, and also cut the mount to reshape it.  Here is link to what it look like before being modified.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/91-Honda-Nighthawk-CB250-Red-Front-Fender-w-Reflecto...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 02/28/21 at 17:15:17

Ruttly:

Here is how I have cut the fender to work on the Cafe'.

It needs the front welded back on....and the mounts just need a horizontal bar welded on and the holes drilled.

IMG_7669.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 02/28/21 at 17:16:22

Here is how it fits onto a 90/90-18 tire.  When it is spaced up off the tire a bit the curve matches really well.

IMG_7670.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 02/28/21 at 20:27:45

Your fender lines up perfectly it looks good and low to tire , very nice. I’m looking for easy replacement cause it may never get it mounted on the tracker. Just want a decent steel fender handy just in case I need to do any serious road time. It’s lighter and faster without it. I’ll just lower it a little bit and then if I like it I’ll get it powder coated. Simple and cheap.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #44 - 03/02/21 at 01:27:25

The red bike looks great! Can't wait to see how your new project develops.
Although it sounds backwards, I'm thinking about doing a double leading shoe drum brake for the front of my bike.
I'm going with a retro/cafe look, and the drum def looks the part.
At less than 300 pounds, and maybe 40 HP, it doesn't need a ton of brakes. I think a 2LS with modern brake shoe material, properly set up, will provide plenty of braking.
Seeing the pic you posted of the 400, reinforces my interest.
I found a very clean front hub/brake on Ebay and am cleaning it up. Most of the 4LS units weigh a ton, this 2LS unit is not too porky.
Keep those pics coming, Dave!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 01:12:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retro Thumper project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.