Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clunky/Tapping engine sound (Read 355 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Clunky/Tapping engine sound
Reply #15 - 11/14/20 at 11:03:56

jd290, you actually wiped out the reservoir directly beneath your cam lobes?  That reservoir should have been full of oil.  Was the reservoir full of oil when you removed the head cover?

niceast, can you tell us all a little more regarding how you were able to remove your cylinder head without pulling the engine?  That would be some valuable info.  Please give some detail on how you did it.  Did you remove mount bolts and let the engine drop in the frame?  How did you get the head high enough to clear the right-rear cylinder stud?

Anyone else able to remove the cylinder head with the engine still in the frame?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #16 - 11/14/20 at 14:44:11

(jd290, you actually wiped out the reservoir directly beneath your cam lobes?  That reservoir should have been full of oil.  Was the reservoir full of oil when you removed the head cover?)
I did not wipe out underneath the came lobes. That area had some oil down there but definitely not filled. That small cutout near the bottom of the intake valve spring seems to be the only place where oil can get in/out of the reservoir. I suppose the cam chain dragging oil up to the head would explain why I was still getting oil leaking out of the head plug even if there was little or no oil pressure. What do you think? Seems like an awful lot destruction just from low oil.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 11/15/20 at 15:33:36

" What do you think?"

I think you didn't have any oil pressure/oil flow to your top end.  That reservoir (I call it a "trough") should have been full of oil.  And there should have been oil all over everything up there.  Like a complete sloppy mess of oil all over everything.

The top end is pressure fed, not splash oil off the cam chain.  Oil enters the head cover here.

Head_Cvr_Oil_Feed_markup2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 11/15/20 at 15:36:16

Then the pressurized oil flows through passages in the head cover to the two cam bearings.  The oil enters each bearing through these feed holes.

jd290_Fried_Head_2_oil_feeds2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 11/15/20 at 15:44:44

Each bearing has chamfers at the split line.  These chamfers are critical as they route pressurized oil off the bearings to the oil reservoir (trough) for the cam lobes and also to the center of the hollow camshaft.  The chamfers are shown here.

Cam_Brg_Chmfrs_mkup2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 11/15/20 at 15:50:59

The cam lobes dip into the oil reservoir (trough) as the cam rotates.  In addition, the pressurized oil is forced through the hollow camshaft and exits the cam lobes through these holes to provide additional oil film between the lobe and rocker arm pad.  Some of the oil flowing through these holes most certainly ends up dribbling down into the reservoir.

Oil_Hole_in_lobe_mrkp.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 11/15/20 at 15:53:02

Sealant is a common problem with oil flow to the critical components in the head.  I can see from your photos that there was a heavy application of sealant.  See the heavy globs of sealant that were squeezed out from the head cover to cylinder head joint adjacent to the cam sprocket.

jd290_Fried_Head_sealant_markup2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 11/15/20 at 16:03:29

If that sealant is applied around the cam bearings, and if it gets squeezed out into the critical chamfers in the cam bearings, oil flow is cut off to the reservoir (trough) and to the center of the hollow cam.  

Your failure is so dramatic it's impossible to tell if there was sealant in your cam bearing chamfers.  But the damage to your cam journal could only have been the result of zero oil.

jd290_Cam_Journal.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 11/15/20 at 16:04:17

And the rocker arm follower pads sure look like they could have used a squirt or two.

jd290_Rocker_Pads.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 11/15/20 at 16:06:42

When you have it apart, check the oil passages from the lower end to the top end.  Make sure that they are clear all the way up to and through the cylinder head cover.  I don't think you are getting pressurized oil up to your camshaft and rocker arms.

Make sure you check the passages along the clutch cover.

OilFlow01-11.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 11/15/20 at 16:13:24

Also, check the oil passages from the pump through the clutch cover and filter.  This old post provides info on the clutch cover oil passages.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1586363497

You must figure out why it wasn't getting oil to the top end.

Good luck,

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #26 - 11/16/20 at 14:02:55

DragBikeMike-- Excellent tutorial on how the oil system works on these engines! Will make troubleshooting so much easier. Very much appreciated.
First thing I did after taking possession of the bike was change the oil. (not the filter) It had a strange dull look to it and was thicker than what I would have expected. Wondering now if the previous owner tried using some sort of 'stop leak' to 'fix' the head plug leak. He did mention doing some work on the clutch and the side cover gasket doesn't look OEM. Sticks out about a quarter inch around cover. Someone on this forum mentioned the importance of using an OEM gasket and judging from those photos you posted of the oil passage locations, a badly fitting gasket might block those passages. Another post mentions losing the locator pin behind the oil pump gear when taking off clutch the basket causing the oil pump to disengage. Only one way to find out.

IP Logged
jd290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brooklyn N.Y.
Reply #27 - 03/28/21 at 11:34:19

So, the weather warmed up around here and I was able to pop off the clutch cover to find out why the motors top end grenaded. First thing I checked was the oil pump driven gear and sure enough it just spun freely. Very bad. (DragBikeMike, you called it when you said the top end was getting little or no pressurized oil.) Turns out the previous owner put the oil pump drive gear in backwards when he took the clutch apart.  The pin was still intact so I didn't have to go fishing for it inside the engine case. Surprisingly there was no obvious damage to the bottom end of the motor or cylinder bore from what I could see, so I took a chance and re-installed the the oil pump drive gear correctly, found a matching  head, cam and head cover on E-bay and bolted it all up. Sounds and rides great. Absolutely no unusual noises. Valve train is quiet when cold and slight ticking when hot.
Will be making a donation to this site.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 03/29/21 at 16:23:23

Bravo.  Good job.  Good info.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged