Cam Chain (Read 497 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cam Chain
Reply #45 - 04/02/22 at 11:29:11

Thanks for the data Sneezy.  Do you think it's safe to assume your chain had roughly 10K on it?  Can you look at the pics I posted earlier to see if your chain is the old style or the new lighter style.  It's less than half-way to the wear limit.  If it's the original chain, it's only about 35 years old.  Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Cam Chain
Reply #46 - 12/24/23 at 10:27:01

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/10/20 at 11:26:13:
Norm, it's fairly easy to remove the rear guide with the cylinder in place.  I checked that when I first set up my tight quench engine.  Did some mockups with the engine out of the bike to make sure I would be able to do it.  I wanted to be able to periodically inspect the guide.  

You have to remove the clutch to provide enough room to pull the guide down & out.  You also have to pull pretty darned hard.  When it goes back in you also have to push up pretty darned hard.  Putting a small chamfer in the material around the pivot bolt helps.  Then you have to get that bolt through the hole in the head & guide, but I did it without wrecking anything.  Just takes patience.  Tenacity helps too.

Mike, thanks for directing me to this very informative post.  It puts my concern about chain stretch to rest.  The rear chain guide/follower is the weakest link in the system and would need replacement long before the cam chain itself.  Reading your quote, I'm not exactly looking forward to removing and re-installing it.   Embarrassed  

It's interesting that the Verslavy CCT is more to do with compensating for the aging weak tensioner than actual cam chain stretching itself.  And, of course, Suzuki is proud of their rear chain guide follower at $100.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 14:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.