Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
UFO Installation & Test (Read 297 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: UFO Installation & Test
Reply #15 - 04/11/20 at 02:44:04

I observed the air/fuel ratio behavior during transient operation.  I would roll the throttle on and accelerate at a moderate pace, then shut the throttle and decelerate.  Note that on deceleration, the standard carb configuration had very mild afterfire, the typical cackle/crackle, but never any KABOOMS.  The UFO carb had absolutely zero afterfire, no cackle/crackle, no KABOOMS.

Transient_AF_Ratio_Tests.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 04/11/20 at 02:46:02

Now that all the air fuel/ratio checks were out of the way, I was ready to test acceleration.  I started with my standard 4000 rpm to 7000 rpm 2nd gear pulls.  The two configurations were close, within about one-tenth of a second.

Standard configuration:      2.86 seconds

UFO configuration:            3.00 seconds

Since the two configurations were close in 2nd gear, I decided to try pulls in 3rd gear.  That would be more rigorous and provide a better indication as to which configuration makes more WOT power.  I did timed pulls in 3rd gear from 4000 rpm to 7000 rpm.

Standard configuration:            7.72 seconds

UFO configuration:                    8.20 seconds

The standard configuration is the clear winner of the acceleration test.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 04/11/20 at 02:46:52

I don’t have a way to measure part throttle torque or power, but I felt that if part throttle torque is better, then fuel economy should also be improved.  I already had tested the fuel economy for the standard configuration when I did the carburetor shootout.  The VM38 got a best of 59.2 mpg.  So, I took the UFO configured carburetor on exactly the same fuel mileage test loop.  Due to the Covid19 shutdown, conditions were optimum for achieving good fuel economy.  There were almost no cars on the road.

The UFO carb used 1.66 gallons of 92 octane on the 79-mile test loop.  That works out to 47.6 mpg.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 04/11/20 at 02:47:44

Regarding the increased air flow with the UFO, I’m not sure if the slight increase (2 cfm) is due to the UFO, the shortened needle jet hood, or simply the margin of error.  There is a bit less clutter in the venturi with that hood out of the way.

VM38_with_Reduced_Hood_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 04/11/20 at 02:49:30

Conclusion:  Seat-o-da-pants the UFO carb and the standard carb are very close.  While the standard carb feels crisp the UFO carb feels torquey.  But that seat-o-da-pants stuff can fool you.  Hard data tells the real story.  IMO, the standard carburetor works much better without the UFO.  It mixes better.  It idles perfectly.  It makes more power.  It gets significantly better fuel mileage.  It’s way easier and cheaper to tune.  I really can’t see any advantage to the UFO other than zero afterfire.  I think I gave it a fair test.  I tried my best to get it to work as advertised.

I hope you find this report helpful.  Thanks to Lancer for letting me try out the UFO.

Knowledge is power.

Stay safe out there, respect the Vid19.  It’s serious stuff.

Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 04/12/20 at 06:14:45

Most people would have just installed the UFO and then came on here to tell everyone how awesome it is because they just spent all of this time and money on it.   Smiley

IP Logged
Fabricio Bino

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Santa Catarina, Brazil
Reply #21 - 04/30/20 at 04:57:03

Very good information!
It`s interesting, your vm38 is different from mine, I bought it used recently, but im not sure if its an older version

PHOTO_20200430_084458.jpg

95' 680cc Suzuki Savage "Tempestade"
  IP Logged
Fabricio Bino

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Santa Catarina, Brazil
Reply #22 - 04/30/20 at 04:58:05

The other side:

PHOTO_20200430_084532.jpg

95' 680cc Suzuki Savage "Tempestade"
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #23 - 04/30/20 at 06:40:24

Another well researched and well written piece. Thanks muchly!!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/01/20 at 07:43:25

I didn't switch UFO out on one carb but did multiple switches of identical carbs except for the UFO modification on one, and not the other.

I agree that the bike "feels" more responsive with the Mikuni and UFO, but performs on paper better without the UFO.  The stock is definitely more consistent.  I eventually tossed out all the additions and the Mikuni carbs.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #25 - 05/01/20 at 07:54:52

Maybe it's mind over matter. I'm sticking with the UFO. The bike feels like it has more power. My carb is a  vm 36mm.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 05/01/20 at 13:36:49

Fabricio, yes your VM is a bit different.  Any idea what this hose nipple is for?  I've never seen a nipple in that location.  It's not vacuum since it's upstream of the slide.

Fabricios_VM_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 05/01/20 at 13:44:57

Hey HotRod.  How did you set up your idle mixture?  Did you have issues with it being overly rich?  Lancer has posted that the UFO I had was a newer version.  It's supposedly a lot different than the older UFOs.  Do you know if your UFO is the newer version or the older version?  Do you have any pictures?  Do you happen to have any info regarding the difference between the newer version and the older version?

Eegore, you stated "I eventually tossed out all the additions and the Mikuni carbs."  Are you saying that you ditched the VM carb entirely?  What carb are you running now?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/01/20 at 20:47:26

I have one with a Mikuni VM-38-9  Part#001-040 with UFO.  .

The other two have stock carbs at this time, no UFO.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #29 - 05/02/20 at 10:26:14

DragBikeMike ; I got my UFO about 9 months ago. Not sure if it's a old or new style. I had to sand the outer edge a little so it would drop into the slide. Still a tight fit, but flush. At first I could not control the idle because the UFO would not let the slide close to the bottom. A little more fine sanding fixed that. I ended up with a #15 pilot jet, a hole drilled in the needle jet hood, and the mixture screw about 1.4 turns out. I did try the blocked pilot but didn't like the lack of control in that section. Only by checking the spark plug do I see any sign of over rich at idle. No smoke from the exhaust. I'm running a KN cone filter at the end of the stock manifold hose and the DR cam.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 02:15:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › UFO Installation & Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.