Bought an S40 (Read 570 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Bought an S40
Reply #30 - 01/26/20 at 10:16:14

I've only got the S40 with just under 79000 kms on it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 01/26/20 at 12:24:09

pg wrote on 01/26/20 at 07:08:43:
I used ACF-50 and CorrosionX as an anti-corrosion agents.  ACF-50 was designed for the aircraft subframes.  Both work quite well; however, they do leave a film on the bike for a good while.  Once a year I take off the plastics, cover up everything I don't want to get it on a, and fog it.

Hi, yes ive got a couple of tins of ACF-50. here its pricey but agree its good stuff. I dont like the sticky film much, but if im storing a bike/parts for a while i do use it  Smiley

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 01/26/20 at 12:27:09

79k Jc? wow thats a significant mileage. Any major issues during that time?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #33 - 01/26/20 at 13:51:15

Two dead lead acid batteries, if you contemplate going gel in the standard battery box, you may have to trim a small rubber/foam pad the battery sits on. I tried going gel, but the gel battery was 1mm or so too high for the box, gave up and went back to lead acid. I have the "Notorious Head Plug Leak" I think, I just watch the oil level and tip some in now and again. If this happens to you, you can buy a better one from Verslagen and there are posts on how to install it. One poster from this country claimed he installed one by removing the front tappet cover. I don't know how true this is. I did have the speedo rattle which the servicing dealer fixed some years ago. There's clamp below the exhaust pipe which has rattled loose, bolt probably frozen due to heat and rust, not sure if the nut is captive or not, living with rattle. At the 72000km dealer service, the mechanic claimed the clutch was slipping under moderate acceleration. I'd had a ride with much lane splitting, hate that, and no doubt the oil was hot and the clutch hard worked. This may occur but the bike can still cruise respectably at, or dear I say it, above our ridiculous open road limits. Speaking of clutch, another thing to watch is so called "moving block" at road works. This only happened once on Schedyways Hill out of Warkworth. A truck moving at 20km was set in front of a line of traffic to reduce speed over new chip seal. I was on and off the clutch until it pretty much disappeared. Turned round and went back towards Puhoi, as the oil cooled the clutch returned. Those are my issues.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #34 - 01/26/20 at 15:19:35

jcstokes wrote on 01/26/20 at 13:51:15:
One poster from this country claimed he installed one by removing the front tappet cover. I don't know how true this is..

Training the chipmunk took months... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 01/26/20 at 15:53:29

JC  

I was reading about your slipping clutch on a high millage bike.  

When the Aluminum clutch pack gets hot it swells , but the steel/fiber plates don't.    So ...

I experienced the same thing.  (a little over 50,000 miles.)

Upon investigation I found the clutch pack with no disk in it can only collapse so much.   Well , I measured the thickness of each disk in the pack added them together and found the empty clutch pack could not collapse enough.
Apparently , the steel disk are all in tolerance and the fiber disk are in tolerance .  
So ... " What the **** " .    
The deal is :   Those fiber plates and steel plates don't wear ,
but ,
the back of the clutch pack "does the same job as the steel plates". It's ALUMINUM and it does wear , the solution is to add an extra steel disk into the clutch pack.  $8.50 +-   99% chance the dealer will have to order it.

Steel plates = about .060"
Fiber plates = about  .130"

1 steel plate is enough , you may need to increase the length of the push rod in the middle of the clutch pack for the thicker disk pack ... but maybe not ?   It's only .060" we are adding !   Mine has enough adjustment to work like a new one !   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #36 - 01/26/20 at 16:26:05

@JCStokes, I discovered the same issue with the gel battery. I removed the padding from the bottom of the holder, as you suggested and it still took some 'encouragement' (accompanied by a sprinkling of swearing).

I got it in. I wouldn't want to be taking it out again any time soon though!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 01/26/20 at 17:34:09

[quote author=767F6F687377796F1C0 link=1579595271/30#33 date=1580075475]Two dead lead acid batteries, if you contemplate going gel in the standard battery box, you may have to trim a small rubber/foam pad the battery sits on etc

Thanks for your experiences. over 77k its a pretty modest list thank goodness  Smiley

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 01/26/20 at 17:39:48

IslandRoad wrote on 01/26/20 at 16:26:05:
@JCStokes, I discovered the same issue with the gel battery. I removed the padding from the bottom of the holder, as you suggested and it still took some 'encouragement' (accompanied by a sprinkling of swearing).

I got it in. I wouldn't want to be taking it out again any time soon though!

When  i bought the bike a couple of weeks ago, i noted the battery was a pain to get to and thought to myself i bet no ones looked at that. Sure enough all the cells were way down and needed topping up. Actually i was suprised to see a wet acid battery and will replace it with a gel one when it dies.

Im pretty good at "encouragement" and a sprinkiing of swear words myself so i dont anticipate too much trouble haha.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #39 - 01/26/20 at 18:18:30

One other point Juliana, The belt guard broke twice at the rear where it is clamped by the shock absorber bolt/mounting. The first time I was able to patch it with a larger packer, second time no go. Suzuki NZ wanted $NZ 400, but I got lucky and got one off Trade Me for $150 or so, and a virtually new drive belt was thrown in, could have had the pulleys but too much postage.
You will also have noted your 8litre/2litre reserve tank. I once crammed 11 litres in. If you cram fill, there will be leakage around the tank cap. It's only serious if you fill on a hot day and wander off for coffee or something, cram fill and go. I've done Camebridge Waiouru, but I was on fumes when I got there.

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 01/27/20 at 00:32:40

Thanks and yes i note the point about about the gas tank.

Although i do also run another beastie that has a 6.5 L tank so Im well used to keeping an eyes on distance /fuel. Although the Van Van is blessed with a trip meter ! ( fuel injection too! )

27400104_335467066969305_747113703_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 01/27/20 at 00:37:41

Serowbot wrote on 01/26/20 at 15:19:35:
One poster from this country claimed he installed one by removing the front tappet cover. I don't know how true this is..

Training the chipmunk took months... Huh

Might be the  same guy who asked me if it was hard to adjust the valves on the Titan haha

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 01/27/20 at 07:34:13

I have the "Notorious Head Plug Leak" I think, I just watch the oil level and tip some in now and again. If this happens to you, you can buy a better one from Verslagen and there are posts on how to install it. One poster from this country claimed he installed one by removing the front tappet cover. I don't know how true this is. .

Not possible, the head cover sits on the plug to hold it down.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #43 - 01/27/20 at 10:05:29

Ok maybe it was the head cover that he removed.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 01/27/20 at 19:00:32

Ok maybe it was the head cover that he removed.  

Yea , I've had two bikes and three frames .   On the two frames I've need to remove the top cam cover.  
The middle bolt has to be in the hole as the cover is eased on/off.   There is about 1/2" space extra so its really not that big of a deal.   Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 00:28:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bought an S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.