Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Bought an S40 (Read 570 times)
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bought an S40
Reply #15 - 01/22/20 at 11:27:11

All good thanks for the feedback on the tyre too. Ive noted the replacements you have given me  Smiley

Havent had a problem with the rear drum ( yet ) but do like the feel it has compared to the rear ( and useless), wooden feeling, discs on every other bike ive owned.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 01/23/20 at 21:04:40

I note some of your photos appear to be taken at or near Devonport. if you live on the shore or out west, why not give the little girl some excercise up Highway 16 and return by SH1 from Wellsford avoiding the tunnels. Wouldn't do it this weekend though.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/23/20 at 23:23:25

I know the route only too well  Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 01/24/20 at 14:53:47

If you do try it on 16 going north, try and avoid downshifts and just test the torque for your own satisfaction, you should be able to do mucgh of 16 in 5th if you get a traffic free run. You may need a change down on Cleasby's hill near a 30km corner and goinsouth you will need to be down for much of Cleasbys. but you will find the torque excellent, just watch overtaking at highway speeds, might pay to be down for that.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #19 - 01/24/20 at 16:12:06

I'm jealous of you guys living in New Zealand.  I would love to visit there.  It's on my bucket list -- but not likely to get done before I get to the dirt nap.  Oh well, I can dream.

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/24/20 at 18:02:49

Aww i hope you can visit one day. Its a perfect country for a bike .

Ive just got back from an absolutely beautiful ride in the summer sun along the coast, ( 120 km )  even stopped for a skinny dip haha.

Loving the ride, just riding the torque, and enjoying a slower pace.

Really, my only criticism of the bike overall is the rear shocks which give me a pounding. Progressives on order so Ill let you know how they are.

The ergonomics ( bars, seat,  pegs ) are a perfect fit for me, but then im only 5.6. Id imagine a 6 footer would need to be doing some adjustments !. It sure makes a change, its usually me fiddling about with bar risers and lowering kits et al.   Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 01/25/20 at 00:45:25

Desert Cat, you would get roughly $1.30 NZ for $1US, petrol is dear by your standards as far as I can work out about $US5.07 per US gal, we're in litres so it gets hard to calculate· Petrol for S40's is 91 RON, which seems to equate to 87AKI.

IP Logged
DesertCat

Reply #22 - 01/25/20 at 02:21:26

Last time I flew it was for work -- back in the late 90s.  I swore I'd never fly again, and I haven't.  It does limit the places I can go.

Not only would I like to see the beauty of New Zealand, but I'm an amateur astronomer and I'd love to see the southern hemisphere sky.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 01/25/20 at 15:36:28

DesertCat wrote on 01/25/20 at 02:21:26:
Last time I flew it was for work -- back in the late 90s.  I swore I'd never fly again, and I haven't.  It does limit the places I can go.

Not only would I like to see the beauty of New Zealand, but I'm an amateur astronomer and I'd love to see the southern hemisphere sky.

When standing you see the northern hemisphere, so if you stand on your head you should be able to see the southern hemisphere.   Cool

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 01/25/20 at 18:42:17

And proof positive that the s40 can even fit a 4 foot something size. My umm short buddy on a beach ride today
She makes the little suzuki look huge haha

IMG_0982.JPG
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #25 - 01/25/20 at 19:09:50

Was the Lady riding or pillioning, and if pillioning how did she like the rear seat?

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 01/25/20 at 20:01:47

Well it was rather strange JC, i asked how was it on the back ? She said oh its very comfortable! Even worse she said she kept nodding off on the ride home haha. I said did you notice any jarring through the suspension? ( i sure did ), No, she said, its super comfy  Smiley. The ride was about 80kms.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #27 - 01/25/20 at 22:45:59

Can't pick the beach, but with your model of bike about the only piece of shyte chrome would be the exhaust system. I'm not sure how the powder coating or paint on the forks and crank case will stand up to our chip seal. I note the fork protectors or what ever they are were removed when you fitted the brace. Might pay to keep that area and above it clean. Oh and the chrome difficult to clean screen mounts are absolute shyte.

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 01/26/20 at 00:06:25

Yeps  I know what you mean about corrosion of Suzuki plating on nuts/bolts. large surfaces.

Ive noticed the quality varies from Suzuki model to model and sometimes even in the same model.

Before my SV1000 I had a sv650 that i bought from new and noticed how crappy so much of the plating was. I tried various things but after years of Suzukis have settled on a regime that works for me. I live a stones throw from the beach and all my bikes have salty breeze over them pretty much all year round.

What works for me is a an oily rag wiped over the exposed fork slides, and once a month a spray of CRC Marine on all metal surfaces. Its cheap doesnt make a mess or leave sticky coat, and it works  Smiley I had my very corrosion inclined sv650 for 5 years and the metalwork and plating were as new when i sold it. The trick is simply to keep on top of it and its a job  i dont mind.

Already had the axles out and greased them...haha can you tell ive owned Suzukis?

That Suzuki oem screen, despite appearances, is really effective by the way. But yes the chrome stays on the inside might be tricky to keep corrosion free..ill see how it goes.

Still got your 650?

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #29 - 01/26/20 at 07:08:43

I used ACF-50 and CorrosionX as an anti-corrosion agents.  ACF-50 was designed for the aircraft subframes.  Both work quite well; however, they do leave a film on the bike for a good while.  Once a year I take off the plastics, cover up everything I don't want to get it on a, and fog it.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:10:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bought an S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.