Send Topic Print
Bought an S40 (Read 570 times)
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bought an S40
01/21/20 at 00:27:50

Hi All,

My first post, ill try and not be too long winded.

Im in New Zealand and basking in summer heat right now and getting in a lot of riding.

Ive had quite a few bikes in fact still have a Suzuki SV1000 and my beloved Suzuki SG350 Goose.

Have to say Ive never liked crusiers regarding them as fat ugly and wallowy things, slow too. And while seeing many Suzuki S40s over the years ive never given them a second glance but my dad used to own A Velocette Venom 500 and a Matchless 500 g80 and so the big S40 lump was sort of familiar.

I also have been riding a little Suzuki vanvan 200 and loving it. Anyway a 2017 s40 came up for sale with only 2000kms on it and pretty much as new. Went for a ride and loved it and on impulse bought it  Smiley

Already put a superbrace on it, just looking at those raked forks gave me the shivers after my sportsbike riding.

Impressions? Well very comfortable after i adjusted to what, for me, is very strange feet forward, and high bars set up. Its super in town and love the torque. Being used to some pretty dubious build quality ( especially plating ) on various Suzukis ive owned, ive got it slathered in anti corrosion spray on various parts.

The large skinny front wheel is taking a bit of getting used to and im definately noticing the way it can flop into a corner. Dont mind the vibes one little bit but then im a girl haha.

Honestly my only real complaint so far ( given the nature of the bike) is the crap rear suspension. Bought a set of progressives 11 inch on ebay last night.

Hugely informative forum by the way, so impressed  Smiley

Juliana.

IMG_0973_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bought an S40
Reply #1 - 01/21/20 at 00:29:27

pics

user1649_pic408_1566905558.jpg
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/21/20 at 00:30:13

pic My Goose

user1649_pic313_1514867702.jpg
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/21/20 at 00:30:41

Came with great viking side bags and a screen too .

IMG_0971_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 01/21/20 at 07:31:35

Welcome...  
I've admired the Goose for years, if they sold them here in the US I'd have one.
PS.. those 11" shocks will help a lot.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 01/21/20 at 08:54:59

Welcome ,  the shocks will work nicely , they'll  reduce steering angle and stop the front footpegs from dragging . you may have to be carful of the passenger pegs /muffler hitting.
    If you like the header to not be bluing ,I'd check out the , white spacer mod , rejetting and adjusting the fuel mix screw .(They make a vast improvement on the way the bike runs)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 01/21/20 at 09:55:00

Some things depend on your height, I find I wouldn't want the bike sitting higher at the rear as it makes it harder to reverse the bike into garages and parking spaces. The stock S40 is easier to reverse than the GN 250 I used to own. After nearly 80000 km I've got used to it, I do use an Airhawk seat pad for a little extra comfort.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/21/20 at 16:06:20

Serowbot wrote on 01/21/20 at 07:31:35:
Welcome...  
I've admired the Goose for years, if they sold them here in the US I'd have one.
PS.. those 11" shocks will help a lot.

Thank you, hopefully they will be here in a week Smiley And yes the Goose probably fits me better than any bike ive owned...you wouldnt want to be much over 5.7 tho haha

Heres a bit of  Goose eye candy for you  Smiley
« Last Edit: 01/22/20 at 00:04:06 by Juliana »  

goosemod2.jpg
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/21/20 at 16:08:07

batman wrote on 01/21/20 at 08:54:59:
Welcome ,  the shocks will work nicely , they'll  reduce steering angle and stop the front footpegs from dragging . you may have to be carful of the passenger pegs /muffler hitting.
    If you like the header to not be bluing ,I'd check out the , white spacer mod , rejetting and adjusting the fuel mix screw .(They make a vast improvement on the way the bike runs)

Thanks and yes im hoping so. The fueling seems spot on at the moment although i suspect its on the lean side.

IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/21/20 at 16:12:27

jcstokes wrote on 01/21/20 at 09:55:00:
Some things depend on your height, I find I wouldn't want the bike sitting higher at the rear as it makes it harder to reverse the bike into garages and parking spaces. The stock S40 is easier to reverse than the GN 250 I used to own. After nearly 80000 km I've got used to it, I do use an Airhawk seat pad for a little extra comfort.

Im used to heaving my SV1000 about although it is lowered but  Iknow what you mean. And yep I have been using an airhawk cushion for about 15 years, great product!. It seems beyond the capabilities of most bike makers to make a comfy seat. Imagine buying a car and the first thing you needed to do was change the suspension and fit new seats.  haha

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 01/21/20 at 22:49:58

Welcome Juliana

I've ridden my Savage (S-40) on some 3000 mile per/week trips and its plenty capable of going anywhere its pointed.   Actually I re-fit-ed a Harley Soft-tail two piece seat to it.  A few of us have put the larger 25 tooth front pulley off a old belt drive Kawasaki 500 - onto the LS650's to take advantage of that long stroke engine.  But all those "MOD's will come along in their own time ... or lots of folks just ride-em like they are forever.   Our buddy in Texas YouzGuyz is coming up on 200,000 miles on his and it still looks stock w/shield and bags.

That fork brace is a mighty thing in the mountains !   Wink

« Last Edit: 01/22/20 at 07:50:32 by MMRanch »  

Mag_Wheels_002.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/22/20 at 00:01:22

Thanks  Smiley

Yes I noticed the difference with the fork brace fitted right away, it definately feels more taught and solid at the front end.

Ive only done 50 mile max rides so far. It seems a common thought expressed on the forum that a 100 mile ride  is a bit of a feat on the S40. Im not saying anything until Ive tried it haha but i have 500km ( 300 mile ) round trip coming up to visit my Mum so we will see. Im waiting for a pair of decent rear shocks to arrive first tho hopefully by the end of the month.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 01/22/20 at 01:44:46

Longest day ride I've done was Hokitika to Ivercargill a few years ago. yes I felt it at the end of the day. but I kept up with Triumph Bonnies, new ones, Harley 1200 sporster and a 1984 large Kawasaki. Covered Crown Range and Napier Taihape on the way home. Just play it easy on metal roads.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Juliana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/22/20 at 02:23:42

Hiya Kiwi, well that trip would definately qualify as a mission! Yes no metal roads on my trip lol Smiley Fyi I had it in heavy heavy Auckland traffic in the hot afternoon. The gearbox and clutch took a real beating but it performed fine and neutral and shifting was as easy as I when i started.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 01/22/20 at 02:37:43

Since you are still up a couple of pointers. The rear brake is very prone to lock up, so watch it in the wet. There are solutions on this site. I don't care what anyone else says, but the original IRC rear tyre is shyte. It terrified me in wet weather and on tar snakes or differences between tar heights in the wet. I don't have much skill but I rode reasonably hard, within the bikes capability and the rear tyre was worn to the canvas or nylon, whatever, in 6000 km, the front lasted better. I changed to a 140/90/15 Continental and the difference was profound, I now run 140/90/15 Michelin Commander and that's good too. Having said this some of the tech savvy people on this site prefer 130/90/15 because they maintain it improves handling. Watch that rear brake, even when it's dry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 23:13:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bought an S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.