Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #450 - 10/24/20 at 05:51:44

I then rode back south on the Dragon and stopped at Deals Gap to get a drink and take off a bit of clothing.  Unfortunately - the rain started and looking south you could see a lot of dark clouds and rain.  The rain lasted about an hour and I started to pack and get ready to go home as there was no foreseeable end to the rain.  The rain let up a bit - but the pavement was soaked and it would not dry for hours.

I got all packed up and headed north on the Dragon, and within a couple miles the pavement was dry and there was no rain!  If I had ridden north I could have gotten out of the rain and onto dry roads!  By the time I got to Lake Fontana it was sunny, dry and 75 degrees.....it was 81 when I got to Maryville!

Here is a shot of the Tree of Shame just after the rain started.  If you look to the bottom right you can see I stuck my bike in the work area to keep it dry......I didn't want to pack a wet bike into the enclosed trailer for the trip home.

The trip was definitely the right thing to do and get the last trip of 2020! The weather was in the high 50's overnight and in the 60's-70's for the day rides........it is 46 degrees and damp here today.  The forecast for the next week is cloudy and rainy and 40-60 degrees.....there likely won't be any riding here for a week!  

TreeofShame.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #451 - 10/24/20 at 20:08:59

Glad you was able to stay dry !  Smiley

Don't bury the bikes too deep ?    We have some nice days in December here in Tn.   Wink  

If we have a nice three days in a roll after we get Anders settled in his new base , then I can go North or you can head South !     Maybe someone else might even join us ?  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #452 - 11/06/20 at 20:25:16

Glad you had a fun ride Dave.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #453 - 11/20/20 at 05:56:10

Hey ya'll. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the gathering in Arkansas. I had a tremendous time. And it was a great pleasure getting to meet both Dave's and MM's better halves, Deb and Marcia. Thanks to everyone one of you for being such good people. I really look forward to getting together with ya'll again sometime in 2021.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #454 - 11/20/20 at 07:55:49

It was a good time.....maybe someday this Covid thing will let loose and we can have fun again (KY just closed all restaurant dining and univesuties are not allowed to have anyone on campus).

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #455 - 11/20/20 at 12:12:30

This Covid thing is getting ridiculous. We are a country built by pioneers. When danger crops up we don't freeze up and die. We acknowledge the danger, take the necessary measures to deal with it, and move on with our lives. Covid is serious but it seems the response the government is taking is even worse.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #456 - 11/21/20 at 07:52:14

Thanks Springman

I sure enjoyed my Arkansas ride too , Marcia also.

Next year we'll have one of the bikes in the truck and making several trips.

I wonder who they blamed the pandimic on in the early 1900's ?    Untill nature takes it course we're sorta helpless .   I wear my mask at walmart and carry santizer anyway.  

It seems the protective hand of the Lord has been lifted off of us.   So untill we repair our (as a nation) relationship upstairs anything we do will be in vain.   Even if we do get some tempory relief with a vacine ... there will be something else come along.    I don't see the Nation coming to a revival anytime soom.  

Didn't we have a record storm season in 2020 ?   Deuteronomy 4:42 tell us that in the last days , we will  be in tribulation and we will return to the Lord.  Its just a matter of time ... kind of like Jonah telling the Lord he's not going to Nivina .   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #457 - 12/08/20 at 14:29:15

MM:

Just so you know - next time it would be OK to buy the smaller cut of Pork.

I am still eating left over BBQ that you cooked in Arkansas.....this is my third sandwich this week from the leftovers!
« Last Edit: 12/08/20 at 17:57:16 by Dave »  

IMG_7266.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #458 - 12/08/20 at 18:20:08

Grin

Dang !   I'm having left-over Chili ...  Embarrassed

Left-overs.jpg

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #459 - 12/18/20 at 20:25:32

That's pretty funny Dave. But I'm sure you are enjoying it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #460 - 12/19/20 at 14:32:48

Ive had leftovers today, not from Arkansas, but they are still leftovers.  
Oh, and then Paula made tacos for lunch.  
Mmmmmmmmmm 😎

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #461 - 12/19/20 at 19:46:10

Your a Blessed man Lancer !     Smiley

Events for 2020  ain't over yet !  

It got up to 50 deg. today so I took Kate over to my daughters house two towns over (90 miles / round trip) .   It was "COOL" on the way home as the sun was going down !

I'm still waiting on parts for the Savage , but I did buy an extra long (12") 1/4" drill bit - so I can cut a new clutch rod out of it ... as soon as the pusher and new pushed plate get here  Roll Eyes .    
But
Both pieces were under $30.00 delivered  .   Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/21/20 at 07:23:59 by MMRanch »  

badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #462 - 12/19/20 at 20:23:40

MMRanch,
When I made a new longer pushrod, the old one measured .236'', or 6mm in dia. You will need to make it longer than stock if you have a extra steel plate.
The ends need to be rounded and as hard as you can get them. My first try mushroomed on the inside end and got shorter quick!
My rule for working hard steel without taking the temper out is, Never get it too hot to hold in your bare hand.

badwolf

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #463 - 12/20/20 at 22:23:12

I gave up on High Speed Steel stock as it is too soft and must be hardened for this job.

Harbor freight sells lathe bit kits that include a quarter inch round M2 bit for boring bars -- I had a couple left over so I went with lathe bit M2 steel and found my perfect material for my clutch pushers.

This is a trick for you to try, drop a single round quarter inch ball bearing underneath your old stock push rod, it is suddenly now "long enough" to be shortened to fit your new pack's need.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #464 - 12/21/20 at 08:32:36

That sound like some fine advice !

Carl , the old push rod was make out of a broken hay-rake tooth .   They are  1/4" dia. and tempered spring steel.   I might have got it too hot while cutting it.   It was mushroomed on one end when I took it out , so I knew I needed better stuff to make the next one out of.
I suspect the rod getting shorter (mushroomed) might have contributed to the rocker having to work out of its prime area leading to braking .

So

OldFeller , that idea of a bearing in the mix leaves me wondering ???
Where the ball and the pushrod meet there might need to be a dimple to keep the ball in the middle to fight the "Double-stacking" tendency .    

That might be what happened to the Guzzi ?  If the ball and the rod were trying to double stack that might explain the behavior :
The ADJUSTMENT kept getting to much slack .
The FORCE to pull kept getting greater.
Even if it was only mushrooming and getting shorter a problem with increased dia. of the rod could make the clutch harder to pull. ??

So OldFeller ,

you got any ideas about keeping to ball/rod junction in good shape ?

I'll start looking for some ball bearings , I'll need one for the Savage and another for the Guzzi.
................................................................................

I took machine shop in trade school after the Army.   It was a 18 month class and so I've been a "Journey-man machinist ever since.   I only worked in the field long enough to find out what a dirty job it really is , but all knowledge is good to have.
So its easy to introduce some extra Carbon to steel and easy to case harden it too.   I didn't know the pushrod was going to take such a beating or I would have treated it differently.

« Last Edit: 12/21/20 at 09:43:46 by MMRanch »  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 09:15:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.