YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #435 - 10/13/20 at 14:13:07

I smell it in the morning only but mostly gone.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #436 - 10/13/20 at 18:24:28

Hay Versey ,

How's the November weather in California ?    I'm not sure yet  on when or even IF ?

But

Even if we don't get to in Nov. , our son will be in Northern Calf. for two years .    I'm suspecting sometime durning that time we'll come visit .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #437 - 10/13/20 at 19:06:54

MM:

It looks like the Lynchburg weather next week will be 10 degrees warmer....night and day.

Could we ride next week?

I could ride down Wednesday afternoon and hopefully arrive before dark.  We could ride Thursday/Friday, and I could go home on Saturday? (Weather permitting).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #438 - 10/13/20 at 19:55:30

MMRanch wrote on 10/13/20 at 18:24:28:
Hay Versey ,

How's the November weather in California ?    I'm not sure yet  on when or even IF ?

But

Even if we don't get to in Nov. , our son will be in Northern Calf. for two years .    I'm suspecting sometime durning that time we'll come visit .  

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/los-angeles/90012/november-weather/347625?y...

looks great to me, 80's decreasing to 70's
A guy from back east told me on the days the local weather casters were saying were dreary days would pass for sunny days back east.

We don't get a lot of rain as it is, but you might around Frisco on up.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #439 - 10/14/20 at 08:08:27

Could we ride next week?

I could ride down Wednesday afternoon and hopefully arrive before dark.  We could ride Thursday/Friday, and I could go home on Saturday? (Weather permitting).  

Next week (Tuesday) we're going to the airport to pick Anders up .   He plans to stay a month then drive to his new base in Norther California .   So , next week is going to be all about having our young man back home for a while.   I suspect I'll be making excuses just to slip a ride around the block in for a while.
So
Basically I'm grounded for the month of October , but at the same time glad to have my son back home for a while.    Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #440 - 10/18/20 at 03:44:27

Dragon anyone?

The last of the good weather is likely this coming week.....I just can't sit at home and let it pass by.  Good riding weather will not return until April 2021 - nearly 5 months from now!

The Savage Cafe' bike has not been to Deals Gap at all this year - so I am loading up the Savage in the trailer and headed to visit Moe at the Kickstand Lodge early Wednesday morning.  I will arrive around noon and get some afternoon riding, then ride all day Thursday.  The weather on Friday is a bit iffy and there is a chance of some morning showers on Friday and I may not get any riding on dry roads......I will ride if I can or head home if wetness prevails.

The weather below begins on Sunday October 18 and goes through the following Saturday.  The weather is always subject to change.......adjustment will be made as necessary (the Cafe' bike is miserable to ride on wet roads, as it throws water all over me).

Accuweather.PNG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #441 - 10/19/20 at 14:32:34

The Kick Stand Lodge closed for the season yesterday.....looks like I will be staying at Deals Gap.

I will be leaving after work on Tuesday, riding all day Wednesday and Tuesday......not sure yet about Friday.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #442 - 10/20/20 at 07:34:25

Well Dave ,

Does Deals Gap still have the bag of ice w/camping fees deal ?

Hope , your staying dry.   I'm guessing you brought the trailer and the Savage.   Here in Tn. we're forecast rain Friday afternoon.  

Some of the CMAUSA guys are wanting to go to Yellow-Stone in May.   I think it will still be chilly in May ... but ... they are doing all the planning (the hard part) and they are bringing a truck to haul their camping gear , extra gas , and such.    Marcia don't want to go camping/ridding , but I'm working on getting to go.  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #443 - 10/22/20 at 05:10:03

The rates at Deals Gap are a bit interesting - but I can understand why they have done this.  To camp in a tent is $20 a night for 1-2 persons, you get a free bag of ice daily......and you can park whatever car/truck/trailer you brought - however if you just want to park your truck and trailer it is $40 a day!  This is a result of folks hauling their bikes down to the Deals Gap Inn and parking their trailers and unloading their bikes and then riding......without getting a room or campsite.  They just don't have enough parking available to allow free parking.

The rain chances for the next few days are slight.  They promised me a 80 degree day yesterday - it never happened and I dressed a bit too light and was on the verge of being chilly all day.  I rode the Dragon a couple times, then rode down 28 all the way to GA, then rode back up 107 to Cashiers, then rode on 281 over to Sylva....then the boring 4 lane ride for 35 miles west on 74 to get to 129 to ride back up to Deals Gap.  I rode 160 miles yesterday.  (I need to find a better way to get from Sylva back to Deals Gap without the 35 mile ride on 74 to make this a better day ride).

I think today I will take the Dragon north and then go west to Telling co Plains, ride the Cherohala Skyway, then Wayah road.

The Deals Gap resort is all spiffed up and they have repainted the hotel building, the bathrooms and showers are really clean, and the folks work really hard here to keep the place clean.  Every morning they blow the leaves off the parking lot and tidy up.  The campfire circle at night has had a lively discussion ......one fellow has had problems with his Harley for two days straight.  His bike was cutting out and shutting off while riding - he took it to the dealer and it turned out his electronic key FOB has a battery that was dying.......when the bike didn't sense the FOB the engine would shut off, and then the jerk of the bike would wake up the FOB and the bike would turn back on.  Then yesterday when he got up and tried to start the battery it was dead - $260 to come pick up the bike and a $160 battery and he was back in business.....hopefully!

« Last Edit: 10/22/20 at 07:07:48 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #444 - 10/22/20 at 08:51:46

Wow !  

Now that makes me want to go buy a new harley !    Grin

Really , it makes me want to stick with the "Pre-Fob" bikes !  Wink

There must have been a GOLDEN AGE , of motorcycles that had injection fuel but simple electronics .   I think my 2016 Guzzi might be one of them ?  

So , Dave  - I'd like to thank you for your SERVICE !   Running all over those mountains finding the best routes for us!  Cool

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #445 - 10/22/20 at 16:44:04

MMRanch wrote on 10/22/20 at 08:51:46:
So , Dave  - I'd like to thank you for your SERVICE !   Running all over those mountains finding the best routes for us!  Cool

My pleasure!  I am getting to know these roads pretty well.  Today was able to get ride north on the Dragon and get to Tellico Plains without using a map or getting lost - then I was able to ride the Skyway and get over to Wayah road, then find 28 to ride home all without a map!  I am not using a GPS as I don't have a mount or power supply for one on the Cafe' bike.  

The bike is running really well and the Michelin Pilot Activ tires are sticking to the pavement just fine and they don't seem to be wearing out quickly......maybe the lower temperatures are easier on tires than the 90+ that is normal when we come down here in summer.

I am not sure what I will ride tomorrow - but I have decided to stay and ride on Friday as the weather here will be nice.....and at home it will be cold and rainy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #446 - 10/24/20 at 05:31:30

I got back home about 10:30 last night.....I left Deals Gap about 4:15PM.

The trip was great and I am glad I did it - the weather was great for riding, and I learned that tire wear at 60 degrees and cloudy is so much less than occurs when it is 90+ and sunny.  I rode as I normally do and I was surprised when the tires didn't get all scuffy and I had no rubber dust on the rims.......the rubber seemed to stay on the tires!

On the first day I took this photo.  I can't remember where I was....somewhere along Moonshiner 28 I believe.

Somewhere.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #447 - 10/24/20 at 05:33:25

This photo is a lake on Route 72 that was along the way from the Dragon over to Tellico Plains.

Route72.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #448 - 10/24/20 at 05:38:56

Friday morning got to be very active at the Dragon.  While I was getting ready to go riding, a group of Porsche cars started coming down the hill and past the Deals Gap Inn.  The line just kept coming and coming and it appeared there were 100 plus bumper to bumper Porsches.....the good news is they kept going and went down 28 - anyplace they stopped would have to have a huge parking lot to hold them all.

This VW showed up - it was a creative approach to off roading.  They took a VW body and installed it on a "Side by Side" chassis.  It had a license plate on it - so I suspect they somehow convinced the Department of Motor Vehicles that is was somehow the VW with a new drive train......and was street legal.

Bug.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #449 - 10/24/20 at 05:51:12

On Friday the weather forecast was a bit iffy.....so I decided not to get too far away from Deals Gap - this decision may have cut my ride a bit short for the day.  I rode north on the Dragon, then rode the Foothill Parkway and got to ride on the new section for the first time.  The old section from 129 over to Townsend as a 45mph speed limit - the new section unfortunately has 35 and even 25mph speed limits!  The pavement is really nice for the entire 34 miles and I ended up riding about 40 mph....and on the way back I got behind a couple of sport bikes and we ended up going much faster (I stayed back far enough that if they got caught by radar.......it was not obvious that I was riding with them and going at the same speed).

FoothillsPKWY.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 04:55:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.