Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown (Read 235 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown
Reply #15 - 07/17/19 at 06:42:30

I could be wrong, but I THINK if you remove the lower bushing from the upper, you can remove the seals from the bottom.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 07/17/19 at 08:24:55

ohiomoto wrote on 07/17/19 at 06:42:30:
I could be wrong, but I THINK if you remove the lower bushing from the upper, you can remove the seals from the bottom.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/punkskalar/LS650%20Savage%20Forks/100...

But with the lower bushing on the tube and the upper bushing and the seal installed in the lower, I don't think you can then slide the lower back on to the tube. I've never done a set of Savage seals though, but I've done others and they have all required the tube to be in the lower before the seal and upper bushing were installed. The upper bush and the seal have to be slid down the tube from the top, which means the tube has to be removed from the triple trees.

If that's not the case then our forks are different from any that I've ever seen and I've just learned something that I didn't know.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/17/19 at 08:29:13

oldNslow wrote on 07/17/19 at 08:24:55:
ohiomoto wrote on 07/17/19 at 06:42:30:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/punkskalar/LS650%20Savage%20Forks/100...

But with the lower bushing on the tube and the upper bushing and the seal installed in the lower, I don't think you can then slide the lower back on to the tube.

Slide them on to the upper then install after sliding the lower on.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 07/17/19 at 08:49:13

Quote:

OK, I can see that. What do you use to seat the upper bushing in the recess in the lower? I've  always used a piece of PVC pipe slid down over the tube to tap it in. Same for the seal.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 07/17/19 at 09:09:56

I' d remove the top bridge and handlebars and headlight.and turn signals then heat the spacers with a torch ( there alum.  and will expand faster than the steel fork tubes) then place a wooden board over the tops of the tube to prevent damage and drive them downward and out . repeating as needed . if the tubes are scratched in the process ,it might be ugly .but the seals don't ride in that area so use shouldn't be affected .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/17/19 at 09:23:35

oldNslow wrote on 07/17/19 at 08:49:13:
Quote:

OK, I can see that. What do you use to seat the upper bushing in the recess in the lower? I've  always used a piece of PVC pipe slid down over the tube to tap it in. Same for the seal.

Take and cut a tube in half, length wise would be my 1st guess.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #21 - 07/17/19 at 09:39:35

Correct,  that's what is called a split seal driver.  

They are required for USD (upside down) forks where the axle is mounted on the bottom of the fork and there is no way to slide the seal over it.

You can use saran wrap if you don't have a spare condom lying around and you'll have to be creative with the eeal driver.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #22 - 07/17/19 at 09:41:15

Just managed to move both spacers a bit. It looks like previous owner put glue or loctite or something EVERYWHERE. (Can't imagine it was done at the factory). The next problem is making the fork legs move in the lower crown. It seem to be just as stuck as the spacers was at first.

DSC_1322.JPG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #23 - 07/17/19 at 09:55:06

batman wrote on 07/17/19 at 09:09:56:
I' d remove the top bridge and handlebars and headlight.and turn signals then heat the spacers with a torch ( there alum.  and will expand faster than the steel fork tubes) then place a wooden board over the tops of the tube to prevent damage and drive them downward and out . repeating as needed . if the tubes are scratched in the process ,it might be ugly .but the seals don't ride in that area so use shouldn't be affected .

I was contemplating that but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to put everything back together properly. Still, it might be necessary to get the fork legs out from the lower part of the crown.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 07/17/19 at 12:32:06

Their not from any model of Savage , might be that's why they were glued , because they were off forks 1mm larger.
   taking off the top bridge only means removal of the chrome acorn cap , lifting the bars and controls on a padded gas tank surface. the stem and upper and lower bearings stay in place.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #25 - 07/17/19 at 12:42:47

Since you didn't follow my original advice and you appear to have a real mess on your hands, two words:  HEAT GUN!  Smiley

I can remove ahead from a golf club in less than 2 minutes with my heat gun set on high.  Maybe add two more words: PIPE WRENCH.

Good luck.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #26 - 07/17/19 at 13:09:17

ohiomoto wrote on 07/17/19 at 12:42:47:
Since you didn't follow my original advice and you appear to have a real mess on your hands, two words:  HEAT GUN!  Smiley
Good luck.

I decided I wanted to remove the fork legs, partly because I am not sure I can change the seals myself so I may need to bring them with me to a friend who will assist me if I fail. Also, It think it will be easier if they are removable the next time I need to change the seals for do some other work that normally requires the fork legs to be removed. I did not mean to seem ungrateful.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #27 - 07/18/19 at 02:14:19

Todays quick investigation has led me to believe tha fork leg is somehow stuck in the top crown plate and not the lower one. Is it only the 29mm nut I have to remove on the top plate?

DSC_1326.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #28 - 07/18/19 at 05:51:34

RocketScienceSmurf wrote on 07/17/19 at 13:09:17:
ohiomoto wrote on 07/17/19 at 12:42:47:
Good luck.

I decided I wanted to remove the fork legs, partly because I am not sure I can change the seals myself so I may need to bring them with me to a friend who will assist me if I fail. Also, It think it will be easier if they are removable the next time I need to change the seals for do some other work that normally requires the fork legs to be removed. I did not mean to seem ungrateful.
-------------------------------------

Haha, no offense taken here.  I was half-joking around and I totally understand your desire to remove the tubes.

Yes, to remove to top clamp, simply remove the center nut.  Once removed, you can remove the spanner nut and drop the whole front end.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #29 - 07/20/19 at 06:31:24

Finally managed to get the fork tubes out of the crown and away from the bike. They were stuck in the top plate pretty hard.

DSC_1327.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 07:16:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.