Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown (Read 235 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown
07/16/19 at 10:51:43

I need to change my fork seals so I started disassembly based on some youtube videos but after I loosened the top caps and clamp screws on the lower crown I canät seem to get the fork legs to move at all. They are supposed to come out from what I understand but they won't budge. I suspect the alu spacer between the blinker lights and the lower part of the crown is the culprit but what can I do to loosen things up a bit?

DSC_1310.JPG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Re: Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown
Reply #1 - 07/16/19 at 10:52:05

pic 2

DSC_1311.JPG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #2 - 07/16/19 at 10:52:21

pic 3

DSC_1312.JPG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #3 - 07/16/19 at 10:52:43

pic 4

DSC_1313.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/16/19 at 11:02:49

RocketScienceSmurf wrote on 07/16/19 at 10:51:43:
I suspect the alu spacer between the blinker lights and the lower part of the crown is the culprit but what can I do to loosen things up a bit?

That aluminum spacer is not stock, so I don't know if we can help you.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 07/16/19 at 11:42:20

But...you could leave the upper legs mounted and still remove the lowers.

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #6 - 07/16/19 at 11:47:56

ohiomoto wrote on 07/16/19 at 11:42:20:

Excellent suggestion! That could probably work. I will bolt things back tomorrow and see if I can get the lower part off with the top part still mounted on the bike.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 07/16/19 at 15:58:20

RocketScienceSmurf wrote on 07/16/19 at 11:47:56:

Excellent suggestion! That could probably work. I will bolt things back tomorrow and see if I can get the lower part off with the top part still mounted on the bike.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147741#...

That wont work. Look at the diagram. Part#7 the bushing, ( suzuki calls it a slide) wont fit through the seal. The lower bushing has to go on the tube, the tube into the lower, the upper bushing and the seal into the lower by sliding them down from the top of the tube. You can get the forks apart with the tubes in the triple clamps, but you won't be able to get them back together.

Soak the tubes where they go through the trees and those spacers with some kind of penetrating oil, warm the aluminum with an electric heat gun or even a hair dryer, put a pipewrench on those spacers and see if anything turns. You've got to get the tubes out of the trees to be able to change the seals.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 07/16/19 at 16:02:11

If you go that route, you could use a piece of flat bar steel and bolt it across the llower legs using the fender bolts (or some a pit longer) to hold it while you release the allen head bolt in the bottom of the fork leg. I don't know what those "spacers" are either , but you may be able to release them by spraying and use of a strap wrench,  or drive the tubes out  with a piece of PVC pipe/wooden closet rod ?  I'm I seeing a bolt/set screw in the back of that spacer?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/16/19 at 19:05:52

Penetrating oil around the aluminum spacers. Dose it every time you can see the last dose has gone down. Wipe off the outside of the spacers so you'll know when it's worked through between the spacers and forks.

Start with either a pipe wrench or big channel locks and try to spin the spacers.
DO NOT CRUSH THEM and bind them against the forks.

You can use a small, like eight ounce ball pein on them, with a bigger, heavier hammer opposite of where you are spanking the spacers. Quick, light pops, working on a vertical line on each spacer , checking to see if you can spin them, that is how I would go at it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 07/16/19 at 19:49:10

The more I look at the"SPACERS" the more  I think their made from another set  of turn signal clamps (equal measurements all around-who would bother to make them?) which means they must have bolts that clamp them to the uppers also ,they may be just faced away  in the pic .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #11 - 07/16/19 at 22:42:07

They are not very thick so I doubt there is any room for a clamp screw but I will check more thoroughly today and snap some more pics. Thank you all for trying to help me. I don't know what I would do without you guys.

(I did splash a small drop of penetrating oil on them yesterday in the hopes that it might help a little.)

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 07/17/19 at 06:25:31

oldNslow wrote on 07/16/19 at 15:58:20:
RocketScienceSmurf wrote on 07/16/19 at 11:47:56:

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147741#...

That wont work. Look at the diagram. Part#7 the bushing, ( suzuki calls it a slide) wont fit through the seal. The lower bushing has to go on the tube, the tube into the lower, the upper bushing and the seal into the lower by sliding them down from the top of the tube. You can get the forks apart with the tubes in the triple clamps, but you won't be able to get them back together.

---------------------------------

Are you sure???  I think you and put the seals and spacers in from the bottom of the upper tube and reassemble.   I believe the only real issue is you would need a "split" tool to seat the seals after instead of a cheap piece of PVC pipe.   As a matter of fact, I think a member on here actually did their forks this way.  

EDIT:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1130248382/29#29

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #13 - 07/17/19 at 06:37:32

It appears that the spacers ARE stock/original item on this model of the bike. A while back I bought a big box of scrap parts from a guy who made a bobber out of his Savage. I took a look in that box today when frustration was about to get the better of me and found the exact same spacers. When examining them I discovered they have a small notch on one side and a small pin on the other side to help with alignment. That explains why I wasn't able to turn the spacer despite quite a bit of force. I have tried to use a knife as a wedge between it and the lower part of the crown to try and slide the spacer upwards on fork stem and it has worked to some extent but I only managed to slide less than a millimeter and I am concerned I may already have made some scratches to the fork.

DSC_1319.JPG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #14 - 07/17/19 at 06:38:39

This is the end of the spacer facing upwards.

DSC_1320.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 07:05:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having trouble loosening fork legs from crown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.