Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wiring help, lost manual. (Read 171 times)
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wiring help, lost manual.
05/01/19 at 15:15:15

I want to bypass the  side stand and clutch safeties.
I have the wire harness out in front of me.
Anyone know what to do?
My bike is an 88.
If anyone has a  list of the plugs and photos ID'ing, extra kudos given.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Wiring help, lost manual.
Reply #1 - 05/01/19 at 17:58:58

Both of these switches have two wires running to them , and each can be bypassed by simply cutting the two wires and joining them together.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/01/19 at 18:14:52

http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/clutch-mod-wiring.jpg

Does it matter which orange wire goes where in the above diagram?
Also, do i keep the diode wired in the harness?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/01/19 at 19:46:53

You're not removing the diode, your removing the side stand relay, I don't understand why. If the side stand switch is working I'd leave it for safety reasons, and just bypass the clutch ,by unplugging it at the clutch lever and tracing it back to  the main harness where the two wires can be cut and joined .

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/01/19 at 19:53:14

Why?

Because I want it that way.
I want only a neutral safety interlock to the starter.
I'm trying to use the ryca plan to do so.
When done I want it to start when only in neutral.
Next will be a manual decompression lever.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 05/01/19 at 20:19:55

Ok, what the heck is a "neutral safety interlock" ????  The only thing that stops the bike from starting in gear,  with the clutch switch bypassed,  IS  the side stand switch !  If Ryca is telling you that the side stand switch needs to be bypassed that lowers my already low opinion of them.
If you're going to a manual decomp lever then you only need to bypass the clutch switch to free up your left hand to use it, but if you bypass the side stand switch, and forget to put the bike in neutral ,you'll have one hand on the bars to push the starter button and one on the decomp lever ,when the starter makes the bike jump forward , off the side stand and your right hand pulls the front wheel to the right and your bike (and maybe you ) crash to the ground. Not only embarrassing ,but it's broken a lot of turn signals. (maybe Ryca will have some for sale).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/01/19 at 20:34:50

When done I want it to start when only in neutral.

Leave the sidestand interlock alone
Only hit start
In neutral
With the sidestand down

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/01/19 at 21:18:34

The way I'm trying to do it, it will need to be in neutral to start.
No clutch needed. No side stand switch.

IP Logged
TimK
YaBB Newbies

Canby Oregon
Reply #8 - 05/01/19 at 21:50:22

it's cool, your project. just short the wires together that you want the associated switch bypassed.

If it doesn't ever start, then just check the remaining neutral switch.

reminds me,.. back when my grandpa drove a broken down 1948 International Harvester 6 volt farm truck full of crop up from the field just by holding the floor starter switch down with his foot. I learned to double clutch on that thing, lol, think it had no synchro's and square gears.

1996 LS650... also TW200
in work on GL500, GL650, & CX650
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/01/19 at 23:06:34

Savageman 99 , You can lead a horse to water ,but you can't make him think. Cheesy. Please go back and read  JOG's and my last entries .
  The only  purpose of the side stand  switch is to prevent you from trying to start the bike in gear, if you bypass it you will fail to have the bike try to start only in neutral.
   It's not crazy ,it's just the truth.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/01/19 at 23:38:16

It's possible to accomplish that, but the explanation is gonna be all based on
Hoping it works.
But
IF you can figure out how to use the neutral light circuit in the decompression timer firing circuit
You can have your setup

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/02/19 at 02:58:19

I believe the side stand switch kills the ignition if you try to put the bike in gear while the engine is running....it doesn't affect the starting process unless you are trying to start the bike in gear with the side stand down - if you get the bike started and put it in gear....the ignition circuit stops working and the bike stops running.  The clutch safety does prevent the starter from working if the bike is in gear and you push the starter button without first pulling in the clutch.

The sidestand switch does go bad sometimes - we have had several forum members who have had problems with it and been stranded.....or at least inconvenienced when they can't get their bike to run.  If you remove the clutch safety switch......you will not have the "neutral" safety anymore....the starter will function in or out of gear if you push the starter button (the starter circuit believes you have already pulled in the clutch).  There have been a handful of people with clutch safety issues - most of them from broken or loose wiring....or the plastic tab broken from the switch.

I have no problem with you removing the safety switches if you don't  want them and you won't get a lecture from me - mine have been gone for 6 years and I am not dead yet. (I want the bike as simple as possible to prevent being stranded by a faulty switch....and I have also removed the decompression circuit and have a manual decompression release).  I grew up in an era when safety switches didn't exist exist....and my dirt bikes didn't have neutral lights.  The drill was to get on the bike and grab the handlebars, pull it up off the kickstand, roll it forward/back to check for neutral, turn on the petcock, turn on the ignition, set the choke....and kick start the bike.  (I still do the same today - I just don't have a kick starter anymore).

The RYCA instructions on their website or YouTube go into great detail about how to bypass the decompression release.  For the clutch and sidestand safety switches you just need to remove the wires from the switches and join them together - don't worry about what color they are....there are only 2 wires to each switch and they just need to be wired together).

Here is a link to a thread about wiring mods that will allow you to make a change that allows you to start the bike in neutral without having to use the clutch (just adds complexity in my opinion).
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1351188539

« Last Edit: 05/02/19 at 04:13:59 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/02/19 at 07:06:00

The last post is the diagram I am referencing.
I am curious if it matters which orange wire goes where.
Thank you.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/02/19 at 07:38:51

SavageMan99 wrote on 05/02/19 at 07:06:00:
The last post is the diagram I am referencing.
I am curious if it matters which orange wire goes where.
Thank you.

Dunno - but I suspect not.

In "stock condition" - Solid Orange wires in the wiring harness are power wires - they carry the power supply and are generally not switched if the wire doesn't have a white stripe (they may be activated by the key switch but not by any control switch).  Once you start cutting and splicing......the standard colors and stripes may no longer be applicable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/02/19 at 09:20:02

Thank you all.
I appreciate all the help and advice here. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, and always fixing old stuff.
I've got a yard full of projects, from a Miller welder generator,  to a Snapper 1650 garden tractor,  to a Ford jubilee and a couple Ford diesel 3000's, to my vehicles. I've also an intruder 1400 I just traded into, honestly it seems a bit over powered to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:53:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring help, lost manual.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.