Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"No clutch required to start in neutral" mod (Read 596 times)
caseyLA

Los Angeles
"No clutch required to start in neutral" mod
10/25/12 at 11:08:58

DISCLAIMER: 1. This mod is in beta testing. 2. If you use the mod as described, the side stand switch will need to be bypassed.

Purpose: This mod will allow your S40/Savage to be started in neutral without the clutch engaged. Since the clutch switch is not bypassed, the clutch will still need to be engaged to start in gear.

Method: The side stand relay is re-purposed as a clutch switch relay. The relay is activated by the neutral switch.

Reason: If you are replacing the automatic decompression mechanism with a manual thumb lever, you need a free left hand to start the bike. You also don't want the bike accidentally starting in gear.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: "No clutch required to start in neutral" mod
Reply #1 - 10/25/12 at 11:30:12

Moved to RSD until tested and answer question phase.

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 10/25/12 at 11:34:33

What happens when you get a false neutral?  i.e., when the neutral light is on, but the transmission is in gear (which has been known to happen), does the bike start as it takes off down the driveway? Huh

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 10/25/12 at 12:01:42

This mod appears to disable the sidestand safety, which is not the best of ideas.

I have never seen a "false neutral" of the type which turns on the Neutral light when the bike is in gear. I suppose it could happen with damaged wiring or a damaged switch.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: "No clutch required to start in neutral
Reply #4 - 10/25/12 at 12:09:03

Charon wrote on 10/25/12 at 12:01:42:
This mod appears to disable the sidestand safety, which is not the best of ideas.

I really am not a fan of all the safety switches on the Savage.  This is the first motorycle I have even owned with all that stuff on it.  I suppose it helps new riders.....and maybe it will help me when I get senile.....but at the moment the side stand switch is not an issue.  I get on the bike, sit down and pull up the side stand, turn on the fuel, turn on the switch, then start the bike.

I can see that the clutch safety switch would be one that I might/could reap benefits someday, as trying to start in gear is more of a possibility.

I believe this modification is a good solution to getting a free hand to operate a manual decompressor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/25/12 at 12:09:28

SALB wrote on 10/25/12 at 11:34:33:
What happens when you get a false neutral?  i.e., when the neutral light is on, but the transmission is in gear (which has been known to happen), does the bike start as it takes off down the driveway? Huh

Haven't heard anyone complain about this.

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 10/25/12 at 12:24:52

verslagen1 wrote on 10/25/12 at 12:09:28:
SALB wrote on 10/25/12 at 11:34:33:

Haven't heard anyone complain about this.

I'm probably out in la la land again. Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/25/12 at 12:52:40

SALB wrote on 10/25/12 at 12:24:52:
I'm probably out in la la land again. Grin

Naw, you're in Id, I'm in La La land.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 10/25/12 at 16:35:02

I have seen a circuit which allows a start in Neutral with the clutch lever released. In every other way it acts stock. But because I do not condone tampering with safety circuits, you are on your own to discover or devise it.

I am not an attorney, and have no idea what legal liability might attach to me if I told someone how to bypass a safety system and they subsequently got hurt or killed. I am not willing to risk it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/25/12 at 16:46:53

Charon wrote on 10/25/12 at 16:35:02:
I am not an attorney, and have no idea what legal liability might attach to me if I told someone how to bypass a safety system and they subsequently got hurt or killed. I am not willing to risk it.

You mean... if I tell someone to take a long walk off a short pier,... and they do,... I'm in trouble?...
Huh...

Oh boy,.. I'm in trouble... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #10 - 10/25/12 at 19:12:04

I officially advise everyone here to stop riding motorcycles. And walking on piers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/25/12 at 21:41:16

caseyLA wrote on 10/25/12 at 19:12:04:
I officially advise everyone here to stop riding motorcycles. And walking on piers.

What? All the piers Ive seen were long enough & wide enough to ride a bike on,, theres no REASON to tell someone to take a long walk on one,, tell them to ride their bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #12 - 10/26/12 at 07:55:47

I bypassed the clutch safety switch when I put together my Ryca last year. I went with a manual decompression lever instead of the foot actuated one in the Ryca kit. As I do not have three hands, the clutch safety switch had to be bypassed (right hand for the starter button and left one for the decompression lever). My starting drill is to get the bike in neutral -- verify this with the green neutral light and a quick rocking of the bike. Then step on the rear brake, hands in place, and fire it up. Release the decompression lever just as the starter engages.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #13 - 09/18/13 at 11:44:48

Has anyone completed this mod on your RYCA conversion? Did you have any issues?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 09/18/13 at 12:45:51

No safety switches, relocated starter button, no dash lights (or speedometer for that matter) for several years. It is a 1950s engine, with a 1970s electrical system, and 1980s safety junk. At least Toyota was nice enough to have a clutch safety cancel button installed. I even bypassed it on my Ranger.

But, I'm also the guy who successfully installed a front drum this week... and is boxing/sending away the stock front wheel. AND gave away the master cylinder, hose, lever and caliper (plus mounting bolts)...

I may be the wrong one to ask, but... delete them. Preferably well before the kickstand starts to bounce going down the road and shuts you off in traffic. Been there, bike was 2 months old, Savages CAN fly if you have to sidewalk it to stay upright.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:34:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "No clutch required to start in neutral" mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.