Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test (Read 1121 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test
Reply #60 - 05/27/19 at 12:46:56

That price sounds way too high.  I bought mine for around $165 from Babbitts.  Make sure you are looking at a 1995 or earlier DR650.  I believe my post on the DR cam provided the OEM part number.  Try and dig that post up to make sure you are buying the correct part.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #61 - 05/27/19 at 14:17:20

I believe that number is  12711-12D00   $165 @ Partzilla

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 05/28/19 at 17:04:24

Awesome, glad I asked lol

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 05/31/19 at 04:55:35

philthymike wrote on 05/11/19 at 10:13:09:
I put the very last 666cc kit on my bike and the two most noticeable things was the increase in torque and the improvement in gas mileage due to higher CR. However I put the stage 2 cam in at the same time so I don’t know what had the most influence on the overall power spread, the big bore or the cam. But with the combo my engine makes much more torque in mid and upper range than before. Low RPM torque can nearly get the front wheel off the ground and probably would if the clutch wasn’t slipping. This clutch slipping started after the engine work and has been getting worse the past two years. None of the common remedies has helped so I’m saving up for a Barnett clutch kit. Hopefully that will be the solution.

A few years ago I put a Web cam and Wiseco piston in my Honda CRF230F.  The Web cam is a very mild grind with a profile for low-mid work.  The stock piston was ~9:1 and the Wiseco piston is about ~10:1.

The difference is quite amazing -- More power from idle to top.  The engine also has an aftermrket CDI with more lead and faster curve and that also boosted off-idle and low TQ.

I later added a full custom reverse-cone megaphone system from Frank Nye at Engines Only and that added a pretty good amount of extra power from high-mid to the top.  It also has a stepped pipe which broadens the TQ curve.

These engines are like the old lazy GM L-48 350 SBC.  Add a good cam, raise the CR, and give it a good timing curve and new power is very easy to find.  Just a pipe and rejet alone will yield a very real power increase.

This is one of the things that make these bikes so much fun...

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #64 - 06/01/19 at 21:32:08

I sorta wish I’d done the cam before the big bore just to know what effect it had alone. I’m not an expert but I have ridden bikes with competition cams and this webcam is definitely not that. The engine on mine has the stock carb and filter so it’s probably better that I have a mild grind that doesn’t necessitate increased intake flow.
What I love most is cruising along at 60 and then overtaking someone in front of me. It’s still a surprisingly rapid surge of speed. The bike can really take off at higher RPMs. It’s not shoulder dislocating like it can get on my Ducati but for a thumper it’s very gratifying and smile inducing. Wish I had a tach, it would be interesting to watch the how fast it revs up once that main jet hits. It’s a good strong pull. One of these days I’m going to focus on my intake and maybe put in the Mikuni like others here have suggested. But the bike needs better brakes before I make it any faster.
I didn’t tune the carb so I don’t have any details to share about that except it was done really well. I do know that the main jet is bigger but the rest is a mystery to me.

I agree that this is a very fun bike. And I’ve had alot of satisfaction from modding it. Even little things make a noticeable difference. Just dropping a few pounds from removing my rusted highway bars resulted in a difference I could actually feel.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #65 - 06/02/19 at 05:41:08

Philthymike, I think you might enjoy a ride on a modified Savage.

Try it, you’ll like it.

« Last Edit: 06/02/19 at 12:26:08 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #66 - 06/02/19 at 07:42:13

Mikuni VM with a UFO and a Quad flow wing and a Intelajet for that extra shitngit !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #67 - 06/02/19 at 12:27:16

Ruttly wrote on 06/02/19 at 07:42:13:
Mikuni VM with a UFO and a Quad flow Torque wing and a Dial/Intel-a-jet for that extra shitngit !

And it does, quite handily.  
Great milage to boot too.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #68 - 06/02/19 at 13:41:20

LANCER wrote on 06/02/19 at 05:41:08:
Philthymike, I think you might enjoy a ride on a modified Savage.

Try it, you’ll like it.

But I do this every day  Cool

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #69 - 07/10/19 at 08:31:41

I was staring at this ugly hole the other day thinking about your "flow bridge" and wondered why do we have a 1 1/2" pipe in a 2" shell?

If we drop the pipe to the bottom of the exhaust port, filled in the difference, would that improve flow?

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #70 - 07/10/19 at 14:58:13

Regarding the 1.27" pipe in a 2" shell, only da shadow knows.  Who knows what the factory had in mind?  Here's my guess.

A 1.27" ID pipe is gonna have about a 1.30" OD (or somewhere around 1-5/16").  I personally think that would be ugly.  You gots this GREAT BIG cylinder with this puny little pipe sticking out.  Since it's a cruzer bike, it gots to have the cool factor, so along with those way cool phony chrome valve covers, the design team decides its gotta have a way cool phony BIG exhaust pipe.  It wont have the tractor torque they are lookin for with a 2" pipe so they do the double wall thing.  To make things sweeter, the double wall is gonna help keep that outer pipe cool and the chrome will stay shiny longer.

SO, IMO the double wall thing is intended for cosmetics.  It looks really cool with the BIG pipe.

Regarding lowering the pipe.  I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind.  Can you do a sketch, scan it as a jpeg, and post it?

I can tell you that the MAC pipe I am currently running with my modified stock muffler is running way sweet.  I'm likin it.  Cool

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #71 - 07/10/19 at 15:34:46

While you're talking headers what is the deal with those powerbomb headers for dirtbikes. The ones with the lump in the middle like a snake swallowing a rat. Is that a gimmick?

I don't get where an expansion chamber type deal makes sense if it's not a 2 stroke.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #72 - 07/10/19 at 19:11:50

philthymike wrote on 07/10/19 at 15:34:46:
While you're talking headers what is the deal with those powerbomb headers for dirtbikes. The ones with the lump in the middle like a snake swallowing a rat. Is that a gimmick?

I don't get where an expansion chamber type deal makes sense if it's not a 2 stroke.

I am not sure exactly what is in that lump.......it has always "wondered me"?

I also don't know how those pipe work that are parallel and connected to the header pipe by a short stub pipe.....I suppose it does some kind of damping of pressure pulses.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #73 - 07/10/19 at 19:38:25

Dave wrote on 07/10/19 at 19:11:50:
philthymike wrote on 07/10/19 at 15:34:46:

I am not sure exactly what is in that lump.......it has always "wondered me"?

I also don't know how those pipe work that are parallel and connected to the header pipe by a short stub pipe.....I suppose it does some kind of damping of pressure pulses.

Regarding the parallel pipes, could it be some sort acoustic thing? Like using phase shifting to boost or attenuate harmonic bands? Makes me think of an eqhalizer or tone control. Basically parallel tuned circuits which when recombined can cause phase cancellations.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #74 - 07/10/19 at 20:39:03

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/10/19 at 14:58:13:
Regarding lowering the pipe.  I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind.  Can you do a sketch, scan it as a jpeg, and post it?

Top is the stock pipe with the ego shell.
Bottom is the modified pipe.  Still shows the ego shell, but the pipe is lowered and you fill and trim the port to match.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 21:51:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.