Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test (Read 1121 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test
Reply #45 - 05/11/19 at 04:02:11

Any of the WIseco pistons works just fine.  Which one depends on whether you want to bore the cylinder and the added expense of it. The 94mm just requires honing the cylinder, very easy.  The benefits of adding a few cc’s to overall cylinder volume is minimal compared to the boost in CR.  
They are all the same price, 94-97mm.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #46 - 05/11/19 at 04:08:44

[quote author=363C3A323E316B6E666C5F0 link=1554362214/30#44 date=1557538261]DragBikeMike wrote on 05/06/19 at 23:30:36:
I ah see it now. I am trying to decide between a 95 or a 96mm wiseco piston right now and I am assuming opening up the exhaust a bit to allow for better flow for larger displacement would be good. Any ideas on the 95 vs the 96?

When I built my engine I chose the 95mm, as it was the smallest Wiseco piston available at the time (Lancer had not had the custom Wiseco in the stock 94mm size being built yet).

The reason I used the smallest piston - is that I seldom need to use "all" the HP that my engine can make, and the majority of my riding is done on twisty county roads between 40-60 mph....and this requires 1/4 - 1/2 throttle.  I wanted an engine that was economical, reliable and ran well - I was not after maximum HP.  I also wanted to be able to bore the cylinder again if needed - however I now realize that the Savage engine really doesn't have any piston/cylinder issues as long as you keep the oil level up and use a good oil - Youzguyz got 160,000 miles on his bike and was able to re-use the piston and cylinder when he had his engine overhauled.

I think the cylinder head is the big restriction in how much power the engine can produce - and on a dyno the piston size is likely to make a difference on "where" the power is produce - more than on how much power is produced.  I believe there is a possibility the larger pistons will reach the airflow limits of the head at a lower rpm than the smaller pistons will.  So....I would expect the 94mm piston will have the maximum torque at a bit higher rpm than the 97mm piston will.  The bigger pistons will make a bit more torque than the smaller pistons....but they will likely start to run out of air a bit sooner than the smaller pistons will.

So - I believe that if you want maximum bottom end grunt, you should go with the bigger piston.....even as big as the 97mm.  If you want a good running engine that makes more HP because of the higher compression ratio.......but do not use full throttle often.....go with a 94mm piston and save the cost of the cylinder boring if your cylinder is in good shape.

I am well satisfied with how my 95mm Wiseco engine runs.....it is a joy to ride.  Maybe someday I will build a 97mm engine and see if I am missing anything.

So

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #47 - 05/11/19 at 10:13:09

I put the very last 666cc kit on my bike and the two most noticeable things was the increase in torque and the improvement in gas mileage due to higher CR. However I put the stage 2 cam in at the same time so I don’t know what had the most influence on the overall power spread, the big bore or the cam. But with the combo my engine makes much more torque in mid and upper range than before. Low RPM torque can nearly get the front wheel off the ground and probably would if the clutch wasn’t slipping. This clutch slipping started after the engine work and has been getting worse the past two years. None of the common remedies has helped so I’m saving up for a Barnett clutch kit. Hopefully that will be the solution.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #48 - 05/11/19 at 10:23:39

philthymike, You say you say better mileage with the big kit, with the h/c piston do you run hitest? Is the better mileage enough to make up for the increase in cost for hitest?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #49 - 05/11/19 at 10:26:53

Riding in the mountains a couple years ago, Dave, MMRanch, and I would all use about the same amount of gas per fill-up, but Dave always paid more for hitest.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #50 - 05/11/19 at 13:12:58

badwolf wrote on 05/11/19 at 10:23:39:
philthymike, You say you say better mileage with the big kit, with the h/c piston do you run hitest? Is the better mileage enough to make up for the increase in cost for hitest?

Yeah I’ve got to run super now but the engine runs more efficiently with higher CR and takes alot less throttle than before. Up on the interstate I used to have to keep the throttle nearly pegged to keep up with 70 mph traffic. Now it’s quite alot less throttle for the same speed. To be perfectly honest I haven’t pegged the throttle at all since the upgrade. Once I get the bike up to 85 the light weight starts freaking me out on the rutted washboard mess PA calls a highway. But I’ve hit 90 and still had a bit of throttle left.

I don’t sweat about the cost of super with such a small tank. My Ducati averages 49 mpg according to its calculator and i go much much farther on a tank of gas in the Thumper than I can on the Ducati. If I was to guess I’d say I’m in the neighborhood of 56+ mpg. That’s riding heavy handed too.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #51 - 05/11/19 at 13:16:53

Also there’s probably a traction component at work too. I’ve got really stiff shocks on their stiffest setting along with a 140/90 Avon AV72 Cobra tire in back so I get massive traction now. More power to the pavement. Rear wheel slippage became problematic after the upgrade. The back wheel would break free in 3rd gear when I got on it. Powering out of turns turned into barely controlled power slides. It would even happen riding in a straight line.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #52 - 05/12/19 at 17:02:58

My most recent check yielded milage in the low 60’s.
Good efficient performance and milage can co-exist and be fun at the same time.  
Besides, REX SOUNDS GREAT when HE is howling !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 05/12/19 at 17:37:27

Since hopping up my engine (cam, Wiseco, porting, Mikuni) I have gotten as high as 62 mpg while riding 40-60 mph around the county roads in my home turf - but I have also gotten down as low as the high 40's if I am chasing folks around in the mountains!

I don't believe the performance cams that are used in the Savage engine are wild enough to be wasteful if you are riding conservatively - but if you decide to use the HP it does take fuel to make power.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #54 - 05/12/19 at 19:34:50

60's?!   Huh Huh

Crap, I struggle to get 50's out of my cleanly jetted mostly stock bike with my fat ass (6'3" 250 lbs)  on it.  :'(

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 05/22/19 at 17:26:24

Thanks for the replies guys. So the piston size will more shift the power curve rather than add power. Most of the change will be in head work, carb and a cam.

So I am thinking I will do a 95mm Wiseco, Mikuni carb, do some light porting and polishing, and look into cam options.
Are comp cams still the main option people are going with right now?
What other options are out there that are cost effective?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 05/23/19 at 03:56:55

Iceman4193 wrote on 05/22/19 at 17:26:24:
Thanks for the replies guys. So the piston size will more shift the power curve rather than add power.
I believe the piston will add power across the entire rpm range.

Are cams still the main option people are going with right now?
Cams are more often done than pistons, as the cam can be replaced with the engine in the frame......or the original cams/rockers may be worn and need to be replaced anyhow.

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 05/25/19 at 19:10:24

Dave wrote on 05/23/19 at 03:56:55:
Iceman4193 wrote on 05/22/19 at 17:26:24:
Thanks for the replies guys. So the piston size will more shift the power curve rather than add power.
I believe the piston will add power across the entire rpm range.

Are cams still the main option people are going with right now?
Cams are more often done than pistons, as the cam can be replaced with the engine in the frame......or the original cams/rockers may be worn and need to be replaced anyhow.

I meant comp cams as in the company who regrinds cams. I was talking with Mike and he said the cam from a DR650 is good to use too. Just the stock one I assume.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 05/26/19 at 03:21:51

I don't know if Comp Cams does Savage Cams.

Web Cam does - but their cam grinds for the Savage aren't much better than stock.  The Stage 3 that Lancer sells is his own design, and Web Cam does not offer that grind to the retail market.

The stock DR650 cam has the oil system set up a bit different.  The center hole is smaller, and there are no holes at the base of the ramp in the cam like the Savage has.  DragBikeMike has been using the DR650 cam successfully without the holes - however we have also found that the holes can be drilled.

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 05/27/19 at 09:32:00

I found the DR650 cam on bike bandit for $250. Is this the best place to pick one up? Any downsides to drilling that oil hole or is the consensus that it is ok without it?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 00:55:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.