What Dave said!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gas in my oil
Reply #31 - 03/02/19 at 12:49:29

I got the screw out holding in the seat and now working on getting the seat itself out.  I remember reading how someone did this to make sure they didn't damage it but can't remember exactly how.  Gonna try to look it to before i start using a pliers.  Pictures to come of screen and seat tonight

IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 03/02/19 at 20:24:54

Ok, I made a lot of progress. Took most of the carb apart and cleaned it.  Notes:
significant dirt on screen
the diaphragm seems loose to me (does seat well)
dirt behind the main jet
I reset the brass mix screw to 2 turns out.  I was significantly more than that.

Right now, I'm debating which parts I'm going to replace.  I'm on a budget, but don't want to regret not doing the job right and having the same problem after I reassemble.  

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 03/02/19 at 21:31:55

The screen just sits on a ledge on the valve seat and lifts straight off for cleaning (back flushing).

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #34 - 03/02/19 at 21:39:45

I just went thru my carb when I put the new cam chain on at 81,000. The wear on your slide looks same as mine, normal. If the rubber diafram on top the slide has no cracks or leaks that is good to go. ( On that note, be sure to put the spring UNDER the needle clip on re-assembly, it will run too lean and surge, with no top end if it's over the clip. Guess how I know.)
The dirt does NOT belong anywhere in the carb and can cause a LOT of issues. Blow out all the passages with carb cleaner or spray brake cleaner, and if your not sure a passageway is clear unravel a piece of electrical wire and take a strand of the copper and poke it thru.
When it comes to carbs, cleanlyness is the best tune-up!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 03/03/19 at 03:50:35

Clean everything, and make sure you can see daylight through the small holes in the jets before you put them back in.  (Are you changing jet sizes and doing the white spacer mod while the bike is apart?)

At a minimum the needle should be replaced (the rubber tip has a noticeable groove in your photograph).  They are usually sold in a matched set....however I doubt the brass seat has any damage.

When a slide is worn like that - I spray a coating of dry graphite on it - but it most likely wears off pretty quickly anyhow and may not help much....but it makes me feel better.

Turning the idle fuel screw out 1.5 - 2 turns is a good starting point - but you need to adjust it by "ear" with the engine running.

Have you ever drained the oil breather reservoir in the air box?  There is a tube that come from the bottom of the air box that goes down to the back of the engine, and it is supposed to have a cap on the end of the tube.  When you change your oil you should drain the breather.....then put the cap back on.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #36 - 03/03/19 at 04:22:11

Replace the slide.  That's what mine looked like and it was sticky.  I bet there are a lot of people on here who have been tricked into thinking they had jetting issues that had sticky slides.  Mine had me poking around a little bit before I realized what was happening.  

As for the needle and seat, yeah sure that rubber is machined to such a high tolerance that it surely needs a perfectly matching seat.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 03/04/19 at 14:38:15

I cleaned the carb thoroughly and can post photos post cleaning.
I am not rejetting. I have 153.8 main jet and a 52.5 pilot.  Until this issue of  running rich, those sizes seemed to have worked well for me.  I haven't and wasn't planning on doing the white spacer mod.  I've heard getting those screws back in is a headache and not too interested in tackling that task unless highly recommended.

Valve needle assemble is what we're talking about right? On ron ayers it's running $53.57

What slide is ohiomoto referring to getting sticky?

I reset the idle fuel screw out to 2 turns and will adjust once it's up and running again

I'm pretty sure the oil breather is uncapped and probably responsible for the dirt in the carb or my dirty air filter or both.
When I was struggling to get my bike started/dealing with a rich mix I noticed a couple drops of gas coming out of the breather tube.  I only noticed this that last few times.  There was oil on the tube as well but I think that was from my oil leak i don't think it was leaking oil from the tube, only gas.

Right now, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to purchase the needle assembly and put it back together, start turning the petcock off at the end of the day hope for the best.  

Additionally, I am about to take the cylinder head cover off, reseal and install a helycoil and might make a second post if any issues to attempt to address my oil leak.  If I come across any issues there I'll be making a second post to seek advice.

Thanks for all the help so far, it's much appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 03/04/19 at 15:55:01

there's a carb rebuild kit on fleabay that contains a float valve for about $20
might contain the valve, a gasket and a couple other things.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #39 - 03/05/19 at 05:59:23

The diaphragm assembly.  It's not cheap, but it critical to engine performance/throttle response.  

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/13500-24B40?ref=790f88abdec56396303b...

IP Logged
JohnsonLager

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 03/09/19 at 12:30:56

thanks verslagen1.  I'm thinking that's the route I'm going to go.

Does anyone have experience buying those rebuild kits off ebay?  I'm seeing a few different options.  One from taiwan for $12 that I'm making some assumptions on it quality and others that ship from the states that range from $15-40+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LS650-650-86-08-Savage-05-09-Boulevard-S40-Ca...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 03/09/19 at 17:13:44

The rebuild kits from Japan ,may contain jets that were made for the 400 cc Tempter , a bike not sold here but shares nearly the same bottom end as the Savage, all other parts should work , and jets run less than $10 each. The jets for the smaller bike are 47.5/135(kit) -  jets for the Savage (newer 95 and up) 52.5/145.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 03/09/19 at 22:50:24

Typically what is said about the rebuild kits are the jets are more precise from the OEM.  More critical when you have multiple carbs, but what we have found is there are several variations by the year.  What you get with the kit you buy is not likely to be the one you want.  I would stick to kits w/out jets unless you get a really good price.  And $12 for a full kit is a good price.

WWW   IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #43 - 03/10/19 at 05:57:34

Dave wrote on 02/18/19 at 13:40:12:
The fuel system runs by gravity.

The fuel flows down to the carb and into the float bowl.  When the fuel level in the float bowl rises it lifts the float, and it pushes the tapered needle up against the seat....and that is supposed to shut off the fuel flow.

If there is a leak in the float, or if the float sticks because of some corrosion on the hinge, or if the needle or seat is damaged or corroded/eroded....or if there is some small piece of junk on the needle or seat - the fuel can continue to flow a small amount and overflow the float bowl. Sometimes there is a very slow seep and it causes no problem when the bike is running - but it can cause a problem when the engine is not running.

Shutting off the petcock stops the flow and prevents an accidental overflow of the carb - back in the old days before vacuum petcocks, the owners manual instructed you to always turn off the petcock when you were done riding......in these modern days of automatic petcocks and fuel injected engines - riders have not learned to shut the petcock OFF like us old farts learned to do 50 years ago.  

old school trick I do when I arrive for the night or know I will be putting the bike away for a extended period of inactivity  > 1 month. Is when nearing my destination I will close the petcock to run the fuel bowl low/ dry. The distance depends on the bike, the PuchI almost have to be in the driveway but the matchless 1/4 mile from the home. [/color]

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 03/10/19 at 10:05:48

Matchless G11 wrote on 03/10/19 at 05:57:34:
Is when nearing my destination I will close the petcock to run the fuel bowl low/ dry. The distance depends on the bike, the PuchI almost have to be in the driveway but the matchless 1/4 mile from the home. [/color]

I do that every time I approach my house at the end of the ride.  The STOP sign at the end of the street is my signal to shut off the petcock, and by the time I start down my drive the bike starts to sputter.  My bike is stored with a nearly empty float bowl - which provides very little ethanol swill to corrode anything.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:45:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas in my oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.