Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
WTF is WRONG with people? (Read 488 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: WTF is WRONG with people?
Reply #60 - 10/28/18 at 09:08:15

MnSpring wrote on 10/28/18 at 09:03:39:
T And T Garage wrote on 10/28/18 at 08:29:37:
Why do you feel the need to protect your precious little mn?  He lied.  Flat out. No questions about it.

LOLOLOLOLOL, given the absolute, proven, (and re-provable), truth.
The he/she called tt still does not believe it.

Well perhaps the tt will believe:
'I just got a job as a male stripper,
I go on stage at 1:45 AM,
and by 2:00 AM, the place is cleaned out.'
(Bar closing time is 2:00 AM here)

mn:
"It's already being done in some schools here in the inner city.
YET, teachings from the Bible AND The Torah, are BANNED."

You lied.  You're a liar.  Own it.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #61 - 10/28/18 at 09:21:00

Truly unfortunate the he/she called tt,
cannot read.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 10/28/18 at 09:22:13

MnSpring wrote on 10/28/18 at 09:21:00:
Truly unfortunate the he/she called tt,
cannot read.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You're just a liar.

That's all that needs to be said.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 10/29/18 at 06:57:11

What I find interesting is that in most cases Christians are ok with a school teaching Christianity in exclusivity, but not ok if any other religion gets and extra day in a course curriculum.

I remember when we had to remove all the religious material from the high school library and there was this uproar about removing bibles.  Bibles are religious material, the ruling was that religious material be removed.  What they really wanted was everything except Christian/Catholic bibles removed.  

Then it was this big ordeal when the religious material was brought back in about how bibles were removed and everything else was let in.  Except the bibles were there, right with all the other material.  Then it came down to book numbers, there was one more book about Buddhism than there were bibles, so that was a big deal even though it wasn't an issue that there were 4 more bibles than any other religion.

So it was ok to have more bibles but not ok to have less bibles than any other religion.  I feel that this is part of the problem, people want more of their religion and less of others, not exactly the same.  Also some people refuse to allow exposure to other religions, which is fine for them and their kids, but why stop anyone else from learning something new?

I have no data or references, this reflects my personal experiences and memories regarding religious materials in high school libraries that when compiled and posted represents my opinion.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 10/29/18 at 06:59:11

Eegore wrote on 10/29/18 at 06:57:11:
 What I find interesting is that in most cases Christians are ok with a school teaching Christianity in exclusivity, but not ok if any other religion gets and extra day in a course curriculum.

I remember when we had to remove all the religious material from the high school library and there was this uproar about removing bibles.  Bibles are religious material, the ruling was that religious material be removed.  What they really wanted was everything except Christian/Catholic bibles.  

Then it was this big ordeal when the religious material was brought back in about how bibles were removed and everything else was let in.  Except the bibles were there, right with all the other material.  Then it came down to book numbers, there was one more book about Buddhism than there were bibles, so that was a big deal even though it wasn't an issue that there were 4 more bibles than any other religion.

So it was ok to have more bibles but not ok to have less bibles than any other religion.  I feel that this is part of the problem, people want more of their religion and less of others, not exactly the same.  Also some people refuse to allow exposure to other religions, which is fine for them and their kids, but why stop anyone else from learning something new?

I have no data or references, this reflects my personal experiences and memories regarding religious materials in high school libraries that when compiled and posted represents my opinion.

Once again - well put Eegore

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 10/29/18 at 07:42:46

Christianity and the United States are closely woven together. I'm not positive the success and growth of the USA would have been possible without the influence of Christianity on America.  It's a long, difficult process to pull them apart.

If you view the history of nations mostly Christian vs mostly Muslim vs mostly one of the various Eastern religions vs mostly secular, I think it's fair to say the mostly Christian nations have had the most positive influence on the world. But to be fair, when the world really began flourishing only a couple hundred years ago, Christianity dominated Europe and it was Europe who dominated the world so it's not like today.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 10/29/18 at 10:01:03

I agree with the European distribution of Christianity, however I do not necessarily think it was the religion that helped Europeans initiate The Age of Discovery, but more so the environment they came from.

I think given the natural resources of the globe at that time that Europe would have began their expansion no matter what religion they mostly were, and spread.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 10/29/18 at 10:10:53

I don't think so. One evidence to support that is much older civilizations such as China and Japan did not dominate the world as the Europeans and mostly Great Britain, did. (it's the same question I would ask of native Americans, if the north American continent is so loaded with natural resources, why didn't they develop modern technology before the Europeans did?) For all it's faults and certainly there were many, Christianity was more liberating for the society. Sure, you can point to Galileo being destroyed by the Church but it was that same society that allowed the genius of Galileo to flourish in the first place.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 10/29/18 at 10:29:56

WebsterMark wrote on 10/29/18 at 10:10:53:
I don't think so. One evidence to support that is much older civilizations such as China and Japan did not dominate the world as the Europeans and mostly Great Britain, did. (it's the same question I would ask of native Americans, if the north American continent is so loaded with natural resources, why didn't they develop modern technology before the Europeans did?) For all it's faults and certainly there were many, Christianity was more liberating for the society. Sure, you can point to Galileo being destroyed by the Church but it was that same society that allowed the genius of Galileo to flourish in the first place.

There are reasons for what happened and Worldviews matter. Muslim countries used to be much more influential however the Muslim faith defines God as one that is inconsistent. What I mean is that God can make what is cold today hot tomorrow.  What is considered wrong today can be considered right tomorrow. Since there are no real consistency in God's nature they do not consider LAWS of science to be valid (Of course if they design a building they do follow the laws of physics.

More pantheistic world views such as found in the Native Americans see Mother Earth as an autonomous thing which is not to be intervened upon. Their cultures never looked to such things because it would be an infringement of their purpose in nature.

The Christian faith says God created the world and man was put into dominion over it. It also claims the unchangeable Nature of God. Therefore we have the Laws of Science and Physics along with God's permission to pursue science.

I know that today it is believed that you can not mix science and the Christian faith (although I do not believe this) however it was the Christian faith that allowed scientist the path to science.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #69 - 10/29/18 at 10:51:11

Gravity is just a theory...
In what context have we all heard that?... Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 10/29/18 at 12:19:44

"it's the same question I would ask of native Americans, if the north American continent is so loaded with natural resources, why didn't they develop modern technology before the Europeans did?) "

I recommend reading The Third Chimpanzee which provides a deal of insight regarding this.  For instance European horses were considerably larger, and easier to tame and natural resource perception was considerably different.  Nomadic lifestyles had more to do with conservation and natural travel than it did with religion.  

To clarify I am not saying religion had nothing to do with it, I am saying that religion wasn't the thing that made Europe capable of mass travel, enslavement and colonization before others.  My studies have shown it was a balance of economic and natural resource, technology, social structure, weather patterns and geographical location.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 10/29/18 at 12:22:27

"I know that today it is believed that you can not mix science and the Christian faith (although I do not believe this) however it was the Christian faith that allowed scientist the path to science."

Isn't it just a matter of saying that each scientific advancement, like living-donor liver transplants is just another thing God gave us the ability to do?

Similar to the question of why God cures some ailments but not others, like cancer remission = God's Cure, but amputees have never grown back a limb so that's Gods Will.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 10/29/18 at 12:42:12

To clarify I am not saying religion had nothing to do with it, I am saying that religion wasn't the thing that made Europe capable of mass travel, enslavement and colonization before others.  My studies have shown it was a balance of economic and natural resource, technology, social structure, weather patterns and geographical location.

I don't buy the natural resource angle. The geographical landscape of the US is no more or less than that of continental Europe. Africa is likely the most blessed continent as far as natural resources goes, but most of it is a giant $hithole for humanity. Unless you're comparing Antarctica, natural resources isn't a factor.

Economies, technology are the result of society. Society is strongly influence by religion. Europe dominated and was dominated by Christianity. Too coincidental for my taste.  

The Third Chimpanzee sounds interesting.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 10/29/18 at 12:56:55

Eegore wrote on 10/29/18 at 12:22:27:
"I know that today it is believed that you can not mix science and the Christian faith (although I do not believe this) however it was the Christian faith that allowed scientist the path to science."

Isn't it just a matter of saying that each scientific advancement, like living-donor liver transplants is just another thing God gave us the ability to do?

Similar to the question of why God cures some ailments but not others, like cancer remission = God's Cure, but amputees have never grown back a limb so that's Gods Will.

Actually not at all, these things are not related: My statement means that the way we look at the world influences the way we react toward it. If you believe it is OK to build a castle then you will figure it out. If you believe it is Bad to build a castle then you will not ever attempt it nor figure out how to do it.

Toward your statements: If God does exist and he/she/it (wanna be proper) did create all that exist, then yes he already knows everything that we will ever discover.

As far as miracles go, no I do not think God chooses to heal this disease or that one. I think he will heal random people as he wishes. Yes, I think Science and discovery was given to us. Knowledge and discovery including how to do a transplant can only be discovered because it is possible in the first place. Man does not make anything possible, they only discover what is possible. What you see on TV by so called Christians is just crap. But remember, anyone can claim to be anything in this world including a Christian.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 10/29/18 at 12:59:51

Web said: Economies, technology are the result of society. Society is strongly influence by religion. Europe dominated and was dominated by Christianity. Too coincidental for my taste.  

For a good example look at the little island that holds Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Society and belief makes a big difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 15:19:39

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › WTF is WRONG with people?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.