Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Deficits Don't Matter... Right? (Read 182 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deficits Don't Matter... Right?
10/17/18 at 06:12:09

So say the moronic cons who gave the richest and corporations a huge tax cut.

So how does mitch want to reduce it?

You guessed it - cut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid...

FYI - The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015 - tell us all again how the repubs are fiscally responsible. Y'all have been in charge and this keeps happening... gee, I wonder why?

Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease on last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017.

http://www.newsweek.com/deficit-budget-tax-plan-social-security-medicaid-medi...

Hey all you cons nearing (or in) retirement - aren't you just so happy your party is "looking out for you"????

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Deficits Don't Matter... Right?
Reply #1 - 10/17/18 at 06:20:38

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/17/18 at 06:53:16

Wages are always the last to go up. I have no problem with corporations keeping more of the money they earn. I figure they'll do better with it that the Federal Goverment would.

But you're right, the deficit is too high. We spend an incredible amount of money; about 10 billion a day I remember reading. But taking more money out of the public's hands and giving it to Uncle Sam who created this problem in the first place can't be the long term answer.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wage-growth

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/17/18 at 08:25:23

All those years bashing Obama for deficits...
What a waste... Roll Eyes

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/17/18 at 08:36:16

WebsterMark wrote on 10/17/18 at 06:53:16:
Wages are always the last to go up. I have no problem with corporations keeping more of the money they earn. I figure they'll do better with it that the Federal Goverment would.

But you're right, the deficit is too high. We spend an incredible amount of money; about 10 billion a day I remember reading. But taking more money out of the public's hands and giving it to Uncle Sam who created this problem in the first place can't be the long term answer.

Then you're OK with them cutting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, even though the main reason for the shortfall was the tax cut?

So, you go to lunch with someone and what they order is twice as expensive as what you order, and then you split the bill 50/50??

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/17/18 at 08:39:23

WebsterMark wrote on 10/17/18 at 06:53:16:

wages haven't gone up SINCE REAGAN,  how long do we have to wait????  

I have no problem with the government, who gave them a HUGE tax cut, saying, now we are tying your wages to your profits and inflation. but I understand your greed, it's innate in our culture, all ME ME ME, even if that "ME" is a corporation, somehow they've bought your loyalty OVER YOUR FELLOW CITIZENS.  

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/17/18 at 09:12:31

Then you're OK with them cutting Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, even though the main reason for the shortfall was the tax cut?

The main reason for the shortfall is spending, not tax cuts. We've dug ourselves into quite a hole and the solution to get out of it is not to keep taking more and more money from people, is it? What catagories does the US spend the majority of our money in?

So, you go to lunch with someone and what they order is twice as expensive as what you order, and then you split the bill 50/50??
I'm not following your analogy, what are you asking?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/17/18 at 09:40:27

WebsterMark wrote on 10/17/18 at 09:12:31:

The main reason for the shortfall is spending, not tax cuts.

No, that's not right.  You say you're a salesman, then how can you say that when your clients stop paying you for a product that it's your fault because of your costs?

There is less revenue coming in - the bills are what they are.

We've dug ourselves into quite a hole and the solution to get out of it is not to keep taking more and more money from people, is it? What catagories does the US spend the majority of our money in?

Social Security and Medicare are funded by payroll deductions, not "taxes".  There's no reason that these should ever be touched.  Further, the ceiling on these programs should be raised.

You want to cut programs like entitlements to oil companies?  Fine.  You want to cut the military budget to a realistic number?  Fine.

I'm not following your analogy, what are you asking?

It's not that tough to follow.  If the 1% live high on the hog, then why is their burden less than the middle class?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/17/18 at 10:21:17

No, that's not right.  You say you're a salesman, then how can you say that when your clients stop paying you for a product that it's your fault because of your costs?

Not a perfect analogy but then most analogys aren't. However, within that context, if I continually increase my expenses without adding a corresponding value to my product, I cannot continually increase prices and expect the same level of revenue. The government increases spending year after year, but since it doesn't 'sell' a product, it can only increase revenue by raising 'prices' aka taxes.  "Customers", (US citizens) are objecting to the price increases so expenses have to be cut.

Social Security and Medicare are funded by payroll deductions, not "taxes".     That's a tax.

You want to cut programs like entitlements to oil companies?  Fine.  You want to cut the military budget to a realistic number?  Fine.

Anything's on the table, but the reality is the majority of the spending is on mandatory items like SS, Medicare etc...  

Here's a point to consider. I'll be careful here because I don't want to say too much what I do because I would be easy to find, but if I break down into the various cost components of what my product has an impact on, energy cost is 70%. Four other components make up the remaining 30%. If an end user wants to address their overall cost concerns, they’ve got a choice of five components to look at. You could spend an enormous amount of time and money addressing each of the four and perhaps lower them by 5% each. Or you could lower 70% of your total cost by 20%. You lower your cost far more and the energy expended to do so is far less which maximizes your returns.
So sure, everything’s on the table but the bulk of what we spend is in a few areas.

There are no easy answers. We've dug ourselves this hole. Everyone is to blame, some more than others, but we are where we are.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/17/18 at 10:25:09

It's not that tough to follow. (don't be a d!ck, I'm not)  If the 1% live high on the hog, then why is their burden less than the middle class?

The 1% contribute far more than the remaining 99% for one. Secondly, I don't believe it's fair to take more than a certain % from anyone. I'm not sure what that number is but I'd be in favor of a flat tax % and whatever revenue it brings in, that's what the government has to spend and no more.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/17/18 at 10:40:33

WebsterMark wrote on 10/17/18 at 10:21:17:

Not a perfect analogy but then most analogys aren't. However, within that context, if I continually increase my expenses without adding a corresponding value to my product, I cannot continually increase prices and expect the same level of revenue. The government increases spending year after year, but since it doesn't 'sell' a product, it can only increase revenue by raising 'prices' aka taxes.  "Customers", (US citizens) are objecting to the price increases so expenses have to be cut.

No, they're not.  There are far more complaints that the 1% and corporations don't pay enough.  Yes, there was a small tax break to the average middle class person in trump's plan.  But it is far, far less a percent drop than it was for the 1% and corporations.  It's about fair share.

Social Security and Medicare are funded by payroll deductions, not "taxes".     That's a tax.

Go ahead and call it a tax - but it's the only tax that goes directly back to the citizen.  Not in a road, or the military, or a school.  The likes of mitch have no right to cut SS.

Anything's on the table, but the reality is the majority of the spending is on mandatory items like SS, Medicare etc...  

How do you not know that SS and Medicare are fully funded?  There is no reason to touch them.  But in 10 years, there's going to have to be something done, because by then, they'll be insolvent.  One easy way is to raise the income level of SS.  

Here's a point to consider. I'll be careful here because I don't want to say too much what I do because I would be easy to find, but if I break down into the various cost components of what my product has an impact on, energy cost is 70%. Four other components make up the remaining 30%. If an end user wants to address their overall cost concerns, they’ve got a choice of five components to look at. You could spend an enormous amount of time and money addressing each of the four and perhaps lower them by 5% each. Or you could lower 70% of your total cost by 20%. You lower your cost far more and the energy expended to do so is far less which maximizes your returns.
So sure, everything’s on the table but the bulk of what we spend is in a few areas.

There are no easy answers. We've dug ourselves this hole. Everyone is to blame, some more than others, but we are where we are.

I don't think your analogy is sufficient.  However, you are right, everyone is to blame.  But it's guys like mitch that got us in this deep and now, instead of cutting out corporate welfare and putting back taxes to where they should be for the 1%, he's coming after our SS that we already paid for.

I have no problems with cutting spending.  I have a problem with them cutting what's rightfully ours.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/17/18 at 10:45:10

WebsterMark wrote on 10/17/18 at 10:25:09:
It's not that tough to follow. (don't be a d!ck, I'm not)  If the 1% live high on the hog, then why is their burden less than the middle class?

The 1% contribute far more than the remaining 99% for one. Secondly, I don't believe it's fair to take more than a certain % from anyone. I'm not sure what that number is but I'd be in favor of a flat tax % and whatever revenue it brings in, that's what the government has to spend and no more.

Only because they make so much more than the lower 80%.  The rich would LOVE a flat tax.

I'm talking about burden, not amount.

A guy with only a dollar in his pocket has to be very careful where he spends it.  A guy with $100 could easily lose a dollar and not notice it at all.

I'm not saying tax them at 90%, but I don't think that it's fair that my intern pays the same rate as me.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/17/18 at 11:04:55

How do you not know that SS and Medicare are fully funded?  There is no reason to touch them.

Medicare is most certainly NOT fully funded and the Feds have 'borrowed' from since its beginning, or shortly thereafter if i recall. Not positive about that.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/17/18 at 11:12:40

I don't think your analogy is sufficient.

My analogy is good, but okay, consider other finances.

I was on the committee of a non-profit once. Revenues were dropping. We worked to cut expenses everywhere, but ultimately in the end, 75% of the budget was salaries. We could only cut so much from the remaining 25%. You have to pay the light bill, you have to pay for gas, minimal building maintenance, but the only way to stay afloat was to cut from the single largest expense that could be cut. 25% cut out of 75% (or whatever the actual number was, I don’t remember)

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/17/18 at 11:19:22

but I don't think that it's fair that my intern pays the same rate as me.

I do. I don't understand the thinking why it should be anything other than that. If you want to explain it away with fairness, then I'd argue you don’t really mean that. The owner of my company is filthy rich. He literally owns an island overseas with 7 houses on it. I’m sure he’s got a crap load of lawyers who figure out a way for him to pay less in taxes than I do.
Do I care? No. He employs over 7,000 people worldwide. The economic trickle down from the cities where our manufacturing plants are located is enormous. I don’t think he owes a thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 13:35:16

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Deficits Don't Matter... Right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.