rear tire 1 - me 0 (Read 245 times)
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Re: rear tire 1 - me 0
Reply #15 - 05/29/18 at 20:13:32

Stringman my last tire change I was removing a Shinko 145/85/15 and installing a 135 R 15 car tire.  Removing the Shinko was a bear, it took 2 hours of sweat and considerable cussing. I was prepared for a real job on the car tire, but it was a piece of cake. It was on in ten minutes. I eventually took it to a used tire store that had a big air compressor to seat the car tire bead. It took 135 psi. Jeff

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/29/18 at 21:47:37

took 135 psi. Jeff

That's fatal

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 05/29/18 at 21:52:32

If you have a big c clamp, I would use it to squeeze the sides together.
Next I had to roll the end of the tie wrap to get it to get thru to the other side.  I think the point just gets caught in the well.  but even then it went under the rim strip.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/30/18 at 09:27:15

I did finally get the zip ties on it but still requires too much muscle to get off the rim. I will try to go by Cycle Gear and pick up some rim protectors and then I will not be afraid to muscle it. I tried making rim protectors from a laundry jug but even with two of those on on the same spot I just cut right through them with the spoons. I think this is just one supremely stubborn tire. I have not given up yet. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/30/18 at 09:52:08

IF you can't get the tires bead into the well, popping the bead over the rim is about impossible.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #20 - 05/30/18 at 11:18:46

I know it is doable. I just need to protect the rim before I can get that much force into it. I really think I am almost there. Probably won't be able to go to Cycle Gear until tomorrow though.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #21 - 05/31/18 at 20:51:20

ok. Done. The tire leaks. I must have punctured the new tube. Will order new tube and never ever try this again on a tubed tire. The effort it took, even had I been successful is just not worth it. Angry Angry

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 06/01/18 at 04:08:12

springman wrote on 05/31/18 at 20:51:20:
The effort it took, even had I been successful is just not worth it. Angry Angry

If you ever come up to my house for a group ride - we can have a lesson on tire changes.  It is a bit of a hassle - but once you have done it a few times it isn't all that bad.  Once you get the first bead mounted and install the tube - you need to inflate the tube and then release the air before you mount the second bead.......this allows the tube to straighten out and helps to prevent any tube pinching.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 06/01/18 at 09:20:38

Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I was thinking I should have done. Oh well, this will be the most expensive tire I ever have on the bike. By the time it is all done, after I have it mounted with a new tube this Saturday, it will have cost me an extra $70.00 roughly. Now I cannot say it was a total loss, I did learn a few things. The main thing that I learned though is that I really do not want to do this again!!!! (OK, if there is an easier way, then maybe.) Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 06/01/18 at 19:41:26

WoW

All that work and fretting just for 10,000  miles worth of tire !   If the tire lasted 50,000 miles it might be worth it … ya think ???   Roll Eyes

Do ya have any idea why its so hard to get over the rim edge ?   Its not a 14" tire going on a 15" rim is it ?

One item on any new bike I get ... Must be tubeless rims !   Wink  

What kind of tire was that you got  ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 06/01/18 at 22:03:59

Yeah, that was pretty much my 1st experience too.
But $30 + $15 + whatever for a new tire twice every year changed my mind.
I spent $100 on a no mar tire changing bar.  That made it possible for me to get a tire on w/out pinching it.

And the front tire is much easier to do.  Next time start with that whatever method you choose.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 06/02/18 at 02:58:21

verslagen1 wrote on 06/01/18 at 22:03:59:
But $30 + $15 + whatever for a new tire twice every year changed my mind.

And the front tire is much easier to do.  Next time start with that whatever method you choose.

On most front tires I can lube up the tire, and get the first bead on without any tools - just hold the tire and rim upright and start pushing.  (Sure wish the tube and second bead was that easy).

I seem to get about 2 years of riding out of a set of tires.  With 3 running bikes (6 tires), that means I am mounting 3 tires a year.  I am just too cheap to pay someone else to do it - and too impatient to get it done on their schedule.  I never am anxious to do it - but I do get anxious for a new tire when the old one starts handling weird or doesn't have any tread left.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/02/18 at 15:20:06

Who knows. Maybe I'll try the front tire when it is time.

The tire is on the wheel now with a new tube. $20.00 for the mounting and $27.00 for the new tube since I just bout it at the shop and not online. The tube had one tiny hole in it close to the valve stem which implies I pinched it on one of the last bites to get the tire on. Yeah, I think I could probably mount one correctly now but it sure was a lot of work.

I have to admit, I only have one bike and paying $20 every 2 years for mounting and I guess $40 every 4th year is actually ok with me.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #28 - 06/04/18 at 06:53:58

I just replaced my rear tire.  I tried the zip tie method for the first time and had mixed results.

I thought it worked great for mounting the tire with the tube in it.  I pinched the beads together making sure not to pinch the tube before mounting the tire.  Insterted the stem and popped the whole deal on without too much drama.  I'll probably always mount my tires like this.

Not sure I would use it for dismounting and the tube was pinched between the tire bead as I pulled the tire off and I snapped a few ties.  My tube was fine, but I could have broken down the tire and pulled the tube faster without the ties.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #29 - 06/04/18 at 08:53:37

Oh by the way, once I actually got the wheel back on the bike and thought the belt was aligned I kept getting a slight rubbing of the back sprocket against the belt guard. I fiddled with that thing for about an hour and could not figure out the rubbing as the belt sure looked straight and the measurements I took were all good. Well I finally came up with an incredible, high tech idea. I gave the belt guard a good hard smack with my palm and voila, problem resolved, no more rubbing. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 06:48:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › rear tire 1 - me 0

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.