Send Topic Print
Fuel tank coating (Read 52 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Fuel tank coating
06/04/18 at 19:39:15

I'm considering coating my fuel tank and have some questions. Who makes the best coating kit ? And what are the pros & cons of coating the tank ? Tank was modified by RYCA and then again to remove the unsightly speedo hole. It's going to look so much better. Thanks for any advice.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Fuel tank coating
Reply #1 - 06/04/18 at 21:37:40

If you mean internal, i have used RedKote on a severely rusted 4 wheeler tank with good results. Key was removing rust with muriatic acid and small nails as an abrasive, flushing with water then 2 rinses with acetone, immediately followed by the product, which is acetone based. I did 2 or 3 coats because of my tanks condition.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/05/18 at 02:53:39

I've used the 2 part epoxy version with okay results.  I say okay because on aluminum they suggest you do an etch with something caustic.  Even though I rinsed as prescribed the caustic lodged in the pinholes and bubbled up through the pinholes months after finishing when the tank sat in the sun.  I don't think steel needs the etching so you should not experience what I did.

I've heard the redkote version eventually delaminates and causes troubles down the road.  If you go epoxy just don't cheap out like I did and buy a kit that's too small.

For the epoxy version the pros would be that any pinhole leaks are sealed.  Cons would be that any future mods that require welding are complicated by the need cut open and remove the lining in the weld areas and then reseal.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 06/05/18 at 06:49:20

sandmanred wrote on 06/05/18 at 02:53:39:
I've heard the redkote version eventually delaminates and causes troubles down the road.  If you go epoxy just don't cheap out like I did and buy a kit that's too small.

Can't say I totally disagree with this thought. If not properly prepared, I can see where this may be possible especially if there is ANY source of oil or residue in the tank, which is why the acid and acetone prep are critical. It dries, literally, just like the hard candy shell of a candy apple coating and I can see that if it ever starts to get compromised and peel it'll probably all come off. My application was done maybe 18 months ago and so far it is holding up.  Time will tell.

Attached pic after 1 coat.

IMG_20170501_211337.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/05/18 at 09:00:40

I used Redkote on an old Honda tank and it did the job but I eventually let the same bike sit with fuel in it for 2 or 3 years and I noticed that the fuel had taken on a red tint when I drained it.  It seemed like some of the Redkote had been dissolved into it but there is still an adequate coating in there and it was simple and easy to apply.  Will I use it again on another project, I'm still debating that.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 06/05/18 at 10:30:00

I always put a tiny drop of engine oil in the fuel, about 400/1. My tank always looks pristine. Anything to try to offset the bloody ethanol which is unavoidable here. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/06/18 at 04:13:36

I have used Kreem and Eastwood sealers - but the POR15 epoxy is my current favorite.

You need to use it with a warm tank and warm garage, as the sealer gets really thick in colder temperatures and is hard to get sloshed around the tank when it is like molasses.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 18:46:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fuel tank coating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.