Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Ethanol (Read 767 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ethanol
Reply #30 - 02/14/18 at 11:56:18

Available sources of non-ethanol gasoline include airports (100LowLead) and marinas. But expect to pay ridiculous prices for it! The low compression S40/Savage can run just fine on regular, so those sources are likely higher octane and expensive overkill.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #31 - 02/14/18 at 12:48:31

batman wrote on 02/14/18 at 11:41:55:
Your motor is a Heat engine less heat output means less power,and E-85 also gives at least 1/3 less mileage. while it does have 105 octane that may make cold weather starting more difficult. As Finland is a bit north of the equator, I'd think the results may be disappointing .

I don't ride when it's cold, so that's fine.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #32 - 02/14/18 at 14:08:09

kojones wrote on 02/14/18 at 11:06:28:
I'm really interested in converting my bike to ethanol, at least as a test if it isn't too expensive. I'm fine with a cooler running engine with less pollution. Not suitable for longer trips, but if it's just minor changes in the carb, maybe just some new jets required? The bike has a a VM36 w. UFO, DR cam, 95 mm Wiseco and a fast looking muffler  Grin

You will just have to rejet it I have done it to lawn mowers weed wackers lawn tractors stock cars modified cars turbo cars roots  blower cars bikes you name it we've played with it it's fun to test stuff and just play with it

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 02/14/18 at 15:41:12

a fast looking muffler  

That's a good start, but you need to paint it red or a vibrant yellow.
Those are the fastest colors.
I can't Believe you don't know that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #34 - 02/14/18 at 15:57:35

One thing I do know. If I had alcohol fuel in my aeroplane, it wouldn't go anywhere near as far as it would on gasoline. The sudden silence is a bit disappointing :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 02/14/18 at 20:38:03

100 octane AV gas is great if your bike runs at 8000ft an you want to cruise at a steady 3400 rpm ,if not ,don't bother. "I wouldn't mind E85 so my bike will run cooler" it won't! when you jet up 33% to replace the power you lost ,you'll have the same combustion temperatures, and half the mileage. why bother?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #36 - 02/15/18 at 08:01:48

batman wrote on 02/14/18 at 20:38:03:
100 why bother?

Because it's better for the environment. The E85 they sell in Finland is made of waste. Marginally cheaper to use than gas, too.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 02/15/18 at 08:25:40

kojones wrote on 02/15/18 at 08:01:48:
Because it's better for the environment. The E85 they sell in Finland is made of waste. Marginally cheaper to use than gas, too.

Converting your Savage to run on ethanol or E85 is far beyond the ability of most of us on this forum.   I feel that trying to run E85 in an engine with 8.5:1 compression is going to significantly reduce the power and mpg you can expect....and it will likely start and run poorly.  (I have a friend that runs 100% ethanol in his drag race car - and he and all the others in his class need to squirt gasoline down the carb to get the engine to start).  You would probably need to raise the compression ration up to the 14:1 kind of numbers that start to make ethanol performance reasonable.  I seriously doubt the stock starter motor can overcome that kind of compression......on my 10.5:1 compression Savage engine the starter can't get the engine over TDC if the engine happens to be on the compression stroke when you hit the starter button.

The other issue that is of concern to me - is that ethanol is corrosive to aluminum and steel.  Cars/trucks that are built to run E85 have fuel systems that are not bothered by ethanol.....your Savage does not have anything to protect the fuel tank or float bowl from ethanol.

If you want to continue down this path....you need to do a lot of reading and planning, and you might want to get a second bike so you have something to ride while you are experimenting.

Do a search...and you can find a lot of reading material.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0611-e85-ethanol-fuel-test/

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/20/ask-away-with-jeff-smith-what-is-saf...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #38 - 02/15/18 at 09:06:30

I have a question, how much pollution does a ethanol processing plant put out? is E85 really better for the planet ? Or are we just robbing Peter to pay Paul. while burning alcohol does slow global warming, it also adds more hydrocarbons (smog) again robbing Peter to pay Paul. So it begs the last question,would you rather use sun block or drag an oxygen tank everywhere you go?

« Last Edit: 02/15/18 at 10:28:55 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #39 - 02/15/18 at 11:48:52

Dave wrote on 02/15/18 at 08:25:40:
kojones wrote on 02/15/18 at 08:01:48:

Converting your Savage to run on ethanol or E85 is far beyond the ability of most of us on this forum.   I feel that trying to run E85 in an engine with 8.5:1 compression is going to significantly reduce the power and mpg you can expect....and it will likely start and run poorly.  (I have a friend that runs 100% ethanol in his drag race car - and he and all the others in his class need to squirt gasoline down the carb to get the engine to start).  You would probably need to raise the compression ration up to the 14:1 kind of numbers that start to make ethanol performance reasonable.  I seriously doubt the stock starter motor can overcome that kind of compression......on my 10.5:1 compression Savage engine the starter can't get the engine over TDC if the engine happens to be on the compression stroke when you hit the starter button.

The other issue that is of concern to me - is that ethanol is corrosive to aluminum and steel.  Cars/trucks that are built to run E85 have fuel systems that are not bothered by ethanol.....your Savage does not have anything to protect the fuel tank or float bowl from ethanol.

If you want to continue down this path....you need to do a lot of reading and planning, and you might want to get a second bike so you have something to ride while you are experimenting.

Do a search...and you can find a lot of reading material.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0611-e85-ethanol-fuel-test/

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/20/ask-away-with-jeff-smith-what-is-saf...

Mine with a 10,5 to 1 CR turns fine, even without the decompression solenoid. Not going to do any further modifications to the engine, but if all it needs is some new jets then I would give it a try.

However, corrosion of the aluminium and brass parts is something I'd like to avoid.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #40 - 02/15/18 at 11:51:27

batman wrote on 02/15/18 at 09:06:30:
I have a question, how much pollution does a ethanol processing plant put out? is E85 really better for the planet ? Or are we just robbing Peter to pay Paul. while burning alcohol does slow global warming, it also adds more hydrocarbons (smog) again robbing Peter to pay Paul. So it begs the last question,would you rather use sun block or drag an oxygen tank everywhere you go?

If the ethanol is made of waste it's much better than gasoline, but I don't know the situation elsewhere.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 02/15/18 at 13:17:21

kojones wrote on 02/15/18 at 11:51:27:
If the ethanol is made of waste it's much better than gasoline, but I don't know the situation elsewhere.

The ethanol issue is a bit controversial.  Ethanol is made form corn in the US, and the farmers use diesel fuel to do the planting, harvesting and transportation of the corn.....then more energy is needed to process the corn into ethanol.  Some folks claim it takes more energy to make the ethanol than it returns.....and the cost of the ethanol is subsidized by the US Government to make it cost less at the pump, and they are using our tax dollars to help finance a money losing scheme (in an effort to reduce the US dependency on foreign oil and satisfy the EPA lobbyist).  The ethanol is also supposed to burn cleaner (but I don't know if they take into account the tractors and trucks and plants it took to grow the corn and convert it to ethanol.  It is kind of ironic that the machinery used to create the ethanol uses other fossil fuels in the process.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #42 - 02/15/18 at 16:58:39

I used to use 87 octane avgas in my bike when I got it free. It ran very well but I did not check the fuel consumption.

Now that is not an option because I have to pay for it and the FBOs are charging a fortune for 100LL

Avgas 80/87 used to be comparable to motor fuel but not any more. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #43 - 02/15/18 at 17:00:06

I still think ethanol is a cruel joke on the consumer!

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #44 - 02/15/18 at 17:25:41

The EPA has nothing to do with ethanol requirements. That's all Dept of Ag and  Agribusiness lobbyists. They're also the ones pushing the BS "cleaner option" argument. It can be done well in other places, but not when you grow corn for it.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 19:45:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.