Send Topic Print
Ethanol (Read 767 times)
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Re: Ethanol
Reply #15 - 02/13/18 at 09:17:06

The benefits of running E85 is like running alcohol it cools the motor better and you will make more power but its design to allow you to get away with running away higher compression and still be on a pump gas fuel we use it a lot in the race bikes and race cars mostly cars though works really good under boost or was nitrous oxide I've been playing with E85 for years I like it but if you don't clean the carb every year you will have problems it's a cheap alternative to race gas when you're trying to run 14 and a half to 1 compression on an iron headed small block or big block Chevy or Ford or whatever you running you can get away of E85 on it I was figuring on this motorcycle an E85 I could get away with 16 and 1/2 to 1 no problem. Maybe higher don't know till I build the other motor.

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/13/18 at 09:26:47

And how does this E85 discussion relate to an 8.5:1 compression Savage engine?

And how do I start a 14.5:1 compression ratio with a Savage starter motor?

And where do I find E85 on my rides around the country....with a small  fuel tank that requires me to stop for fuel every 100 miles?

Sorry - my needs are a bit more basic, as I ride my motorcycle more than just 1/4 mile at a time.  I want a motorcycle that I can count on to get me there and back, and that can be fueled up at any local gas station or convenient store - including the ones scattered around the sparsely populated mountains.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 02/13/18 at 09:30:30

Don't you want all the torques?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #18 - 02/13/18 at 09:32:02

E85 would have another drawback for you Dave. It takes  more fuel to equal the same power as gasoline, so you would have to jet it a lot richer to compensate. With a corresponding drop in fuel mileage.

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #19 - 02/13/18 at 10:24:37

Just giving information we have e85 on every block around here darn near in Minnesota so E85 and hard to find and if I'm going long-distance riding I'll get on the big Goldwing or the big Harley Cruiser

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 02/13/18 at 11:04:44

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 02/13/18 at 10:24:37:
and if I'm going long-distance riding I'll get on the big Goldwing or the big Harley Cruiser...

...and I'll add NOx, a turbo charger and super charger and the loudest BOV on the the planet so everyone will know when I'm shifting gears.

- there, I finished your sentence.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/13/18 at 13:22:51

Just giving information we have e85 on every block around here darn near in Minnesota so E85 and hard to find and if I'm going long-distance riding I'll get on the big Goldwing or the big Harley Cruiser

If you are riding at the Tail of the Dragon....it is a 25 mile ride to get E85.  Most likely you can't ride more than 50 miles away from Andrews, NC......or you may not make it back to get another tank!

http://e85-gas-stations.localkk.com/nc/robbinsville
https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/north-carolina/deals-gap-motorcyc...

Just providing the useful information that converting your Savage to run E85 is a very bad idea.....unless you like tinkering and never want to go too far from your nearby E85 source. (I bet it is really hard to get a carb'd bike running E85 to start in cold weather).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #22 - 02/13/18 at 15:24:50

Dave wrote on 02/13/18 at 13:22:51:

If you are riding at the Tail of the Dragon....it is a 25 mile ride to get E85.  Most likely you can't ride more than 50 miles away from Andrews, NC......or you may not make it back to get another tank!

http://e85-gas-stations.localkk.com/nc/robbinsville
https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/north-carolina/deals-gap-motorcyc...

Just providing the useful information that converting your Savage to run E85 is a very bad idea.....unless you like tinkering and never want to go too far from your nearby E85 source. (I bet it is really hard to get a carb'd bike running E85 to start in cold weather).

No not really unless it's 30 degrees or colder which nobody is out riding anyway

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #23 - 02/13/18 at 15:54:01

Alcohol fuel is for the birds!!! Not the way I would have expressed it but trying to be polite I am sure everybody gets my meaning.

Alcohol is a nasty fuel.      Another form of it is not too bad. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
snels516

Reply #24 - 02/13/18 at 19:03:30

norm92de wrote on 02/13/18 at 15:54:01:
Alcohol fuel is for the birds!!! Not the way I would have expressed it but trying to be polite I am sure everybody gets my meaning.

I dunno man I fuel me with alcohol and I run ok

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #25 - 02/13/18 at 19:11:33

snels516 wrote on 02/13/18 at 19:03:30:
norm92de wrote on 02/13/18 at 15:54:01:

I dunno man I fuel me with alcohol and I run ok

Lol Grin  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #26 - 02/13/18 at 19:22:22

I guess my meaning was not to clear. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #27 - 02/14/18 at 08:21:59

Ethanol doesn't provide any real benefit with a normally aspirated motor either. Check out the Engine Masters E85 vs Gasoline shootout on Youtube. They used a very high compression engine for the test. from 3500 rpm to peak torque E85 made slightly more torque than gasoline, but the peak numbers stayed the same.The additional amount of fuel required for E85 displaced that same amount of air so the engine couldn't fill the cylinders well enough to make any more power. Under boost, E85 would likely show improvements. But in normally aspirated conditions it isn't worth it unless you are running  13 to 1 compression ratio..

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #28 - 02/14/18 at 11:06:28

I'm really interested in converting my bike to ethanol, at least as a test if it isn't too expensive. I'm fine with a cooler running engine with less pollution. Not suitable for longer trips, but if it's just minor changes in the carb, maybe just some new jets required? The bike has a a VM36 w. UFO, DR cam, 95 mm Wiseco and a fast looking muffler  Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 02/14/18 at 11:41:55

Your motor is a Heat engine less heat output means less power,and E-85 also gives at least 1/3 less mileage. while it does have 105 octane that may make cold weather starting more difficult. As Finland is a bit north of the equator, I'd think the results may be disappointing .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 22:05:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.