Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.
Reply #270 - 02/21/18 at 10:07:22

Beartooth still sounds good to me. And August is probably a good time for it. God willing, I am still in. Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #271 - 02/21/18 at 10:09:31

And as far as I know, Steve (my brother-in-law) expressed interest last time I mentioned this trip. As dates firm up a bit I will bring him up to date.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #272 - 02/21/18 at 10:33:53

Savage Events for 2018
========================================
Bike Week Trip to Florida   March 8-17
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1518729607
Oldfeller/MMRanch/stewmills meeting badwolf/EdL
Twisted Sister Run, Texas Hill Country Mid to Late April  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438888894
Springman/MMRanch/Verslagen1/Lancer meeting Youzguyz
TRIP TO SUCHES GEORGIA - May 30 to June 3rd
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1518871430
http://twowheelsofsuches.com/
Dave/Oldfeller/MMRanch/stewmills
Beartooth/Cody WY - August
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cody-wy/82414/month/336560?monyr=8/01/2018
Springman/MMRanch/Verslagen1/Oldfeller/Lancer?/Hammer?

« Last Edit: 02/22/18 at 22:22:05 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #273 - 02/21/18 at 19:59:05

I'll  measure the rear opening of the Van tomorrow.  

I measured the opening at the back of my van today ... 43" ... my bike will not fit    .      So  much for that idea  !  Roll Eyes

After the Florida trip , I'll know if I'm ready for a 4,000 mile round  bike trip to Bear Tooth Pass.   I'm thinking 10 to 12 days round trip.  That would sure take a lot of States off my Bucket list !  Wink
or
If I need to truck and unload ?

Huh

Either way , we can use my place as a "Staging Area" , for those who are passing through the neighborrow anyway.   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #274 - 02/22/18 at 06:12:42

MMRanch wrote on 02/21/18 at 19:59:05:
I measured the opening at the back of my van today ... 43" ... my bike will not fit    .      So  much for that idea  !  Roll Eyes

You might get creative and make it work.  If the problem is the handlebar height, you can remove the preload spacers (and/or springs) on top of the fork springs and let the front sag to reduce the height - if you do this I would put a block under the frame when you tie the bike down to prevent bottoming out the forks.  You will then need to be able to prop the bike up on something while you put the spacers/springs back in the forks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #275 - 02/22/18 at 07:55:46

you can remove the preload spacers (and/or springs) on top of the fork springs and let the front sag to reduce the height  

Its good to have "Many Minds" pooling in the same direction sometimes !  Wink

While  getting the Harley ready to sell I  had the idea to remove the 4" long top bolts that (in effect) made the forks longer separately instead of letting them go with the bike and sell them seperately .  Their about $100 by themselves.   The bike was jacked up till the front wheel was off the ground and I couldn't get the springs compressed and the (standard) bolts started into the fork tubes ... Clearly a case of the Springs were stronger than me.
So
I put a ratchet strap over the top of the nut (w/drift spacer) and pulled the nut down and into the threads (gently) to get it started ...
That whole episode left me wondering "what do those Really Heavy bike have "  .    
I'm thinking "Just stick to the truck idea" ,  Smiley ... or better yet, Just Ride to the Events and enjoy the trip.  

From personal experience I've observed that :  500 miles a day at 70 mph (500 divided by 70) does not equal 7.14 hours ...
It usually equals about 9-to-10 hours.

But , if we're traveling as a group and having fun ... who cares !   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #276 - 02/22/18 at 08:18:49

MMRanch wrote on 02/22/18 at 07:55:46:
From personal experience I've observed that :  500 miles a day at 70 mph (500 divided by 70) does not equal 7.14 hours ...
It usually equals about 9-to-10 hours.

I have also noticed the same thing with Mapquest or GPS devices.  For short trips that can be done without stopping for fuel, rest stops or food, the arrival time is believable provided that you don't get into any traffic snarls.  But on trips your chances of getting into construction or accident delays increases substantially, and on trips where you need to stop for fuel/food/rest - the travel time takes far longer.....especially on a bike where I tend to avoid riding on the interstate unless absolutely necessary.

Perhaps it is a result of my previous work schedule only allowing travel on holiday weekends - but I am amazed how hard it it to travel and make good time.....it seems we always get into a long traffic jam somewhere along the route.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #277 - 02/22/18 at 08:44:22

With some time spent choosing the route and the night stops, a long trip by bike becomes a journey worth doing, rather than an ordeal to be suffered through.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #278 - 02/22/18 at 09:59:04

10-4 Oldfeller. I'm witcha.

I have to admit that even though I have the highway gearing on the S40, I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on possibly a Suzuki M50, a Vulcan 900 or a Triumph America. I think the 800-900cc with EFI could make a real difference on the highway. Not to mention 2 cylinders.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #279 - 02/22/18 at 11:17:56

SpringMan :     I have to admit that even though I have the highway gearing on the S40, I am keeping my eyes open for a good deal on possibly a Suzuki M50, a Vulcan 900 or a Triumph America. I think the 800-900cc with EFI could make a real difference on the highway. Not to mention 2 cylinders.  

SpringMan , I'm hate to admit it ... but ...  Roll Eyes ... : Well , I've noticed I don't have the Strength I used to and I've seen friends who refuse to admit the same thing to themselves , then end-up getting over-powered by their Bigger bikes.   Some of them go to Three-Wheelers (ain't no fun to ride) only to find they suck fuel like a car.    My solution is to go to a lighter machine.   Thats why I got the Guzzi V-7 (750cc-400 lbs).  

I said all that to say all this :

I know a feller who has a Very Road Worthy 883 Harley w/the tall 1200cc primary w/new-chain on it.  It also has a like new 888 Metzeler  tire on the front and a Very long life Michelin Commander II on the back.
It also has soft saddle bags , short back rest , luggage rack , and crash bars already installed   .    Fuel injected too ..    

If a feller had $2500.oo he could probably drive it home any dry weekend he wanted to .  

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #280 - 02/22/18 at 11:26:02

Thanks for the info MM. I have to admit that the HD sportster just does not appeal to me. When I get a chance to test ride the bikes I mentioned, if they feel too heavy for me I might take a look at the Honda CTX700 or maybe a Suzuki GS500. I know the GS500 has a large gas tank, and a six speed tranny. Who knows, I really do like my S40! Huh

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #281 - 02/22/18 at 12:17:33

a Suzuki GS500. I know the GS500 has a large gas tank, and a six speed tranny.    

One of my brothers boys has a GS500 ,   45HP , 60+ mpg , 4+ gal tank , he liked it till his GRSX buddy's ran-off and left him a few times.   Then he got him a GRSX (GRXS ???) 750 ... 140 ish HP , and six speeds.    Then he almost went to jail for driving it .   Grin  Now they are both up for sale.  Sad

I'll probably ride my long legged, under powered , Comfortable , and light   S-40 to Florida .    Its just so easy to like !  Cool

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #282 - 02/22/18 at 12:20:17

That's funny. I'm glad he is OK and not in jail, but that is funny. Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #283 - 02/22/18 at 13:56:55

You know I can have any bike I want (w/wife's blessing even) ... my Favorite is my S-40 w/H.D.wide  seat , and full-size floorboards .  Sometimes , more HP might be good ...  Roll Eyes   But , its got "enough"  HP. to work  Wink

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #284 - 02/23/18 at 07:51:28

MMRanch wrote on 02/22/18 at 13:56:55:
 Sometimes , more HP might be good ...  Roll Eyes

MM.....you are only a Wiseco piston and cam away from the Savage engine you have always wanted.  Even it you aren't wanting the piston - a cam change can be done in an afternoon.

When are you going to need a cam chain replacement?  That might be the perfect time for a new performance cam!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 01:11:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.