Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25
Send Topic Print
Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings. (Read 3593 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Savage Events for 2018
Reply #240 - 02/11/18 at 19:26:46

No, I think a 60 series tire has very stiff walls and is a very short tire -- too mean for this old man to wrassle with.

I think the 155-80r15 has been a thing we have both done before, somewhat tougher to mount than the 165-80r but doable with care.   Certainly a bit less wide and less tall than what I have on the Savage right now.   This "shorter/skinnier" is needed because shaft drive bike tires are fixed, no adjustments available for fudging for clearance .....

Reminds me to bring your cast lead .308 lubed and sized bullets for the K-31 though.

Meet up area by Lake City Florida, near Jacksonville.    Dates May 8th and May 16-17

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-city-fl/32055/month/332305?monyr=3/01/...

Improved.   Thursday and Friday are nice now.

Daytona Beach area (Bike Week area)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/daytona-beach-fl/32114/month/328173?monyr=3...

Improved.   Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday are nice now.

Down by DuPuis / Indiantown (main camping place)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/indiantown-fl/34956/month/15185_pc?monyr=3/...    

Changed      Wednesday and Thursday are RAIN days now.

Results are really still too vague to get overly excited over, but they are there for your viewing pleasure ......     We know they shift some two weeks out, and become much more specific for days and amounts of precipitation during that last week.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #241 - 02/11/18 at 21:03:32

Smiley  

Like a perfect ride !    Cool

so

Wednesday afternoon we might get to try-out a rain suit ... or not ?  Looks great !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #242 - 02/12/18 at 02:58:47

I went ahead and ordered the Federal 155-80r15 from Walmart, as I have no idea what the rear tire (brand new as of last spring) will look like after running the world this summer.    Since most of it is all 4 lane out West a big ol' flat spot will be what kills it quick most likely.

Also, Wally offered to bribe me with a $25 new card credit for starting up a credit card which will only be used for the one purchase, so the tire will only cost me $27 delivered to my local Wally.

At that sort of price, I'll risk it.    I know I'll have to get out the electric knife and cut the tubeless lips off the beads (turn them car beads into tube style motorcycle tire beads).

« Last Edit: 02/12/18 at 10:04:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #243 - 02/12/18 at 06:10:32

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/12/18 at 02:58:47:

I went ahead and ordered the Federal 155-80r15 from Walmart, as I have no idea what the rear tire (brand new as of last spring) will look like after running the world this summer.    Since most of it is all 4 lane out West a big ol' flat spot will be what kills it most likely.

Also, Wally offered to bribe me with a $25 new card credit for starting a credit card, so the tire will only cost me $27 delivered to my local Wally.

At that sort of price, I'll risk it.    I know I'll have to get out the electric knife and cut the tubeless lips off the beads (turn them car beads into tube style motorcycle tire beads).

Electric knife ?  Don't you mean a power grinder !  Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #244 - 02/12/18 at 09:50:51

When cutting away the large tubeless rubber sealing lips, an electric knife with some olive oil to lube the blade motion, allowing for frequent rest breaks to cool the electric motor down is the best/quickest method found in the past.   You pull up on the cut off lip to create some running clearance for the blade and it cuts the fiber-free sealing rubber lips quite easily.

A tube type motorcycle tire has NO BIG SEALING LIPS (the tube does that job) and the rim recess makes no provisions for holding such large flabby rubber lips anyway.    They totally get in the way and increase the seating air pressure required tremendously.

Roll Eyes

OFF WITH THEIR LIPS !!!   sez the red queen to Alice .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #245 - 02/12/18 at 17:31:29

A tube type motorcycle tire has NO BIG SEALING LIPS (the tube does that job) and the rim recess makes no provisions for holding such large flabby rubber lips anyway.    They totally get in the way and increase the seating air pressure required tremendously.    

Ain't there some way of making a spoke wheel into a tubless wheel and just forget the tube alltogether ?  

If so , I believe I'd run tire slim in it also !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #246 - 02/12/18 at 17:36:49

I tried that and found that to seal the spoke nipples required layering rubber in the mounting well which took up critical space needed to offset the beads enough to mount the tire.

It was just easier to use the tube.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #247 - 02/12/18 at 19:29:51

I was thinking of the 145/60-15 I've got  .    It might serve on the hay rake one day !  Huh

Roll Eyes

What if a Savage type person took : JB Marine and put a small "beade" of it around each spoke-head so that gravity ran it into the right place for it to be.   I suppect doing 6 at a time would be all you could do before Gravity quit being such a friend .   Then after making it all the way around , that same Savge person used a shot of " Tire-Sealer " inside ... just to make sure air did'nt hunt-up no extra little pin-holes !  

I think I'm about thought my self into trying this next time my Commander II needs replaceing .     On'y thing is that will be near 20,000 miles from now ---- Maybe ----  Huh  halfway through the summer  Grin  Grin Grin   2019

« Last Edit: 02/13/18 at 14:15:01 by MMRanch »  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #248 - 02/14/18 at 17:25:06

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/14/18 at 11:18:44:

Simply gluing your spoke heads into place means you can never true your wheel ever again.

Well......how many folks ever true their wheels after the first 50,000 miles?  By that time I suspect the spokes/nipples are rusted so tightly together you won't ever get them to move anyhow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #249 - 02/14/18 at 21:20:51

I've NEVER turned a spoke on mine .   When I got my second S-40 my good tire was on my old Savage rim ... So I just kept the Savage rim.   So , all my LS-650 miles have been on the same wheel ... not far from 100,000 miles by now , but never turned a spoke on it ... I'm wondering if I might ought to check it ???     Roll Eyes

It don't matter , I'm getting over 20k miles from the Commander II tires , and have learned to know what they can and can't do.  Just Staying away from WET ROADS is the main thing , anywhere else they are as good as anything out there.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #250 - 02/15/18 at 06:41:10

MMRanch wrote on 02/14/18 at 21:20:51:
 Just Staying away from WET ROADS is the main thing.

That has always been one of my goals........ Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #251 - 02/15/18 at 09:36:41

The back wheel of the Savage should be pretty strong.  It has a very heavy steel rim, and the spokes are thick and very short in length as a result of the 15" rim on a drum hub....and it has a beefy tire with plenty of sidewall to soak up a heavy impact.  After the initial settling in......I would think it would take a pretty heavy hit to bump the wheel out of alignment.

MM.....go ahead and make your rim tubeless if you want and get that 60 series tire mounted.  It won't be hard to get a replacement rear rim if it doesn't work out......between Lancer, Verslagen and I - I betcha we will always have a spare laying around somewhere.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #252 - 02/15/18 at 10:00:15

if you need a rear rim, let me know, I have a couple.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #253 - 02/15/18 at 10:01:51

Hey gang!  Sorry I have not been very attentive here lately. Traveling a lot with work, not riding much at all due to busy work schedule and crazy weather.  

So...what is the current list of Spring and Fall trips?  I scanned back a few pages and can't seem to locate a good summary.  I want to make sure I get plugged in where my schedule will allow, and reserve those dates so I don't double book a work trip on a riding weekend!

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #254 - 02/15/18 at 12:14:09

Since this has turned into discussion about everything remotely related to the trips, I haven't followed.  They've even resisted breaking out individual trip planning.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 04:42:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Savage Events for 2018 and other ramblings.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.