Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #210 - 03/02/18 at 06:50:43

Christof13T wrote on 03/02/18 at 04:21:50:
I'm running T4 in the Savage. Next oil change I will try t6.
Oil filter is aftermarket HiFlow HF137.

T4 has the same DDP as the synthetic, and costs almost half the price.

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #211 - 03/02/18 at 09:40:31

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #212 - 03/03/18 at 02:16:08

Lancer...
I know T4 is cheaper... just trying to consolidate to save space. My truck, the diesel generator, and my yzf600r all drink t6... so switching the savage over to it too makes my life easier.

Efficiency is still improving!
47mpg yesterday and we were not dilly dallying.
Averaging 70-75mph. Still running with the 52.5 pilot and 150 main.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #213 - 03/03/18 at 03:56:52

Christof13T wrote on 03/03/18 at 02:16:08:
Lancer...
I know T4 is cheaper... just trying to consolidate to save space. My truck, the diesel generator, and my yzf600r all drink t6... so switching the savage over to it too makes my life easier.

Efficiency is still improving!
47mpg yesterday and we were not dilly dallying.
Averaging 70-75mph. Still running with the 52.5 pilot and 150 main.

That makes sense then, keeping it easier.
47mpg is pretty good if you are running 70-75mph.
What is your needle setting ?
White spacer ?  Shaved ?  or washers ?

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #214 - 03/03/18 at 06:32:58

Needle setting is white spacer completely removed. Replaced with 2 washers.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #215 - 03/03/18 at 12:11:24

In case you are interested. The Suzuki standard slot width in the needle is .9mm, about .035". Our bikes sadly only have the one slot. But the measurement gives one an idea of how much to raise the needle when tuning.

Hope this will help your efforts.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #216 - 03/05/18 at 10:11:56

Chris ,I'd be going to a larger main asap ,if your going to run highway speeds you don't want to be running lean and hot ,you could cause damage ,even if you jumped to the 155 you might run rich but only foul a sparkplug (which could be cleaned and reused).I think it maybe a mistake to not stick with t-4 until you have at least 1500 miles on the bike and the break in period is complete.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #217 - 03/05/18 at 10:47:31

Christof13T wrote on 03/01/18 at 17:59:38:
Fresh filter, fresh oil, and no changes in jetting other than the jump from 145 to 150 main. It pulls like a freight train in 1st up to 40mph. Pulls all the way to redding without skipping a beat in 2nd. It flattens out at about 60 in 3rd. It makes it to 70 in 4th, could probably push it harder in no wind to 75. In 5th it does 75 at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. .

batman wrote on 03/05/18 at 10:11:56:
Chris ,I'd be going to a larger main asap ,if your going to run highway speeds you don't want to be running lean and hot.

What makes you think he needs a main jet bigger than a #150?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #218 - 03/05/18 at 11:47:13

Dave ,his elevation is only 90 /120ft. above sea level ,what makes you thing he doesn't? a 155 or 152.5 may well be to rich ,but won't cause damage and won't increase the added heat of break in ,he can settle on THE proper jet size later .He's running a larger piston( increased compression temps) and I believe a stock muffler that has been drilled ,that and his elevation ,makes me think 150 jet isn't going to cut it.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #219 - 03/05/18 at 15:30:15

Getting closer and closer...

I was pretty much convinced it was not getting enough air with that little RYCA pancake pod filter. I decided to play around with that big honking cone filter idea again...

I read the thread dood just posted about having too big of an air filter and the symptoms he described were exact mirrors of what mine was doing with the big cone filter installed.  His attempt to restrict airflow gave me the same idea. I pulled out my trusty roll of t-rex duct tape and proceeded to use it to block off about 3/4 of the filter element starting at the end, working back toward the mounting flange like opening. I started with just a single wrap of the full width tape and went to test it... it responded to the restriction and I got an extra 10mph out of 1st gear before it started stuttering.  Another overlapping wrap of tape to get to that 3/4 ish mark and tested it again... pure brilliance! She wraps all the way up through the rpm range with balls to the wall power without hiccups!

Next quest...

70+mph oomph!

I went ahead and threw in the 55 pilot... and after a test ride felt it could probably do with a bit more fuel at the top end. It would get to 70 and again just fall on its face...

So I huff and puff... just tired of opening that darn carburetor so much... and go out this morning to swap in the 155 main.

And boom goes the dynamite!

It now comfortably maintains 75 ish with room in the throttle.
I will have mileage numbers in the morning when we stop to fill up.
I'm already just assuming it will have dropped to the high 30's. It's added pep has enboldened the rider to more enthusiastic throttle control...

P.s.
Batz,
It is past the 1500 mile break in period. Back in service @ 4333.0, currently @5864.3.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #220 - 03/05/18 at 23:18:29

Restricting the air flow into the carb is ludicrous ,the problem isn't that you have to much air, ( the piston can only pull in what it displaces ) it's that you don't have enough fuel ,put in larger jets! Heck ,if the motor is pulling to much air ,you could sleeve the cylinder and put in a smaller piston ,that makes as much sense as closing off the carb inlet! restricting the air inlet is just masking the fact that your running the bike to lean! You tune a bike buy adjusting the carb ,not the air cleaner.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #221 - 03/06/18 at 04:23:08

I know it sounds ludicrous.  I would not have believed it myself until it worked. Without some restriction on the intake, the slide will not operate.
I have tried every jet combination I have with it unrestricted and get exactly the same result every time. As soon as I taped up the filter, problem was cured. So it seems for at least 2 of us, restriction at the intake is necessary.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #222 - 03/06/18 at 05:09:14

I agree with Batman - if you have to choke off the intake to make the bike run well.......there is some other issue that is being masked by the "artificial restriction".

I doubt that the big air cleaner has anything to do with how the slide moves - it is more likely that it is restricting the air flow and creating a richer fuel mixture.  If you need to block off air flow to obtain a proper mixture - then something else is wrong with your carb (it could be jetting, it could be fuel flow).

Sometimes issue are hard to find - but blocking off air flow is really not a proper fix.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #223 - 03/06/18 at 07:45:10

I think it may be that the motor is to "free flowing " it hasn't got enough backpressure due to the muffler (or rather the lack of a decent muffler) that both these bikes share. neither of the bikes started their builds by first securing a proper exhaust system. both would benefit more from restricting the exhaust rather than the intake. while both bikes may run fine at higher speeds due to the increased vacuum in the carb pulling added fuel from the jets, what they don't understand is this will probably not work at all at lower speeds ,where they could be running dangerously lean, when there restrictors ,slides and throttles are all cracked open almost equally ,  there is no added vacuum to enrich the fuel mixture.while theywere busy trying to obtain the speed of 75 -80 they haven't considered what the bike is doing at 35-40 in town traffic.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #224 - 03/06/18 at 07:58:01

This air filter is huge compared to the RYCA pancake pod. I have basically mimicked the amount of available surface space of the filter element to come close to matching the pancake filter. There is literally 4 times the surface area available to the carb with this big cone unrestricted. Reducing that surface area to what was available with the pancake has cured the issue of the slide failing to operate. There is clearly a necessity for balance between the available filter element surface area and the intake restriction factors from the carb forward. If the surface area of the filter element provides more flow than the intake plumbing can use, and the intake plumbing can also provide more airflow than the engine can consume, a buildup of vacuum to operate the slide will have a difficult time occurring.

In the current configuration the bike performs at very least satisfactorily,  a nice balance between lean and rich. Not consuming oil. Not making any unusual noises. Seems to still be running fairly efficiently. ..

What is wrong with the duct tape solution beyond it not being purpose manufactured to work for this specific engine with its displacement and compression changes? If it's stupid... but it works, is it really stupid?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 04:28:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.