Send Topic Print
Big Bore Bobber Build (Read 3221 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Big Bore Bobber Build
11/20/17 at 06:39:07

So I have been a little busy getting ready for the jug and new piston to come back from Bill at Bore-Tech.com with a few mild appearance modifications.

Stock saddle, turn signals, airbox, rear pegs, rear signal bracket arms, and about 10lbs of the rear fender are gone.

Replaced the seat with a solo coil sprung bobber pad.
Replaced the signals with some very small profile black smoked bullets.
Got a base coat of satin black on everything that will get rhino lined... She looks really good in black and high gloss polished aluminum...

I spent a good 20 hours at the bench buffer with jewelers rouge with the engine covers, front drive pulley cover, exhaust heat shield, rear brake housing plate(too lazy to look up the correct nomenclature at the moment lol).

Mounting the solo seat was as easy as chopping the stock seat bolt brackets off the frame and welding in some gussets I made from some 1" flat stock. Drilled a hole in each gusset for a hex head bolt to fit into from inside and sticking out the bottom of the spring... wingnut on the other side of the gusset that backs against the rear fender... very difficult to get to so I don't have to worry about drunk bums trying to steal souvenirs in the middle of the night lol.

Airbox was replaced with a RYCA pancake style chrome flavored filter.
Seems to be worth the 25$ or so I paid for it.

I went with a 6Sigma jet kit for 45$ or so and am not impressed. It came with 2 main jets and one secondary... the teflon spacer included did not even fit my needle... the i.d. is too tight. I figured I would give them a chance and review my experiences with their kit here with you fine fellows for critique.

The head is ported and polished... A whole lot of meat can come out of that exhaust port! Just dont overdo it... Your just looking for a smooth transition out of the ports, into the collector... and out into the manifold/header. I know this won't do diddly squat for real numbers until I ditch the stock pipe... But it's what I got for now.

I went with a little conservative finesse while chopping the rear fender. I wanted to lose some of that ridiculous weight and length while still maintaining the ability to hang bags from somewhere. I'm really looking at a pair of 20mm ammo cans for that job. I drew my mock up lines with welding layout chalk freehand... and cut it with a 4" harbor freight angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Deburred, contoured, smoothed and finished the lines with a harbor freight 4" flapper disk on the same angle grinder. Gave the paint a good scuff, hit it with the acetone... and rattle canned it with krylon.

Remounting the tail light was a matter of using the rubber cushion as a template and drilling 4 holes in the fender. There was already a hole present for the rearmost tail light mounting screw but needed the other 2, and a hole to feed the tail light pigtail through the fender. The 4th hole was for the tail light and turn signal pigtails to run back through the other side. There was a perfect pilot hole already there for locating.

The front turn signal mounting clamps were badly... Badly coroded. Almost beyond the help of a wire wheel, let alone a polishing buffer... so I got them as smooth as I could (after pulling the forks and removing them of course) and bathed them in blackness.
The new signals fit in place like they were custom fabricated to do so. I still need to rob the connectors off the front signals to keep the bike side wiring harness as factory as I can... But everything is so far happily going back together. Much happier than disassembly! lol

Some more pictures should follow.

This first image is where I am with it as of right now.

chop8.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Re: Big Bore Bobber Build
Reply #1 - 11/20/17 at 06:40:54

Laying out my lines.

chop1.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/20/17 at 06:41:53

I like a slightly curvy rear end...

chop2.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/20/17 at 06:43:22

Other side.

chop3.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/20/17 at 06:44:02

Choppy Chop!

chop4.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/20/17 at 06:44:47

Houston, We have separation!

chop5.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/20/17 at 06:46:52

First look on the bike after paint.

chop6.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/20/17 at 06:48:24

With regulator mounted back in place and everything in back all wired back up. Closer look at the seat brackets.

chop9.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/20/17 at 06:50:32

Shiny aluminium!

They all came out at least this bright. The head covers are almost blinding lol.

polished4.jpg
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/20/17 at 06:54:07

That tail light is eventually gonna go... Hideous (says the better half)lol.

chop10.jpg
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/20/17 at 07:13:35

Where did you get that seat?

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/20/17 at 09:24:21

Eegore wrote on 11/20/17 at 07:13:35:
 Where did you get that seat?

It was like 40$ on ebay.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/20/17 at 12:29:28

Ok I will look around.

I like that it sits lower than the BCB ones, I will have to have people try it out and see if its comfortable.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/20/17 at 17:53:48

Eegore wrote on 11/20/17 at 12:29:28:
 Ok I will look around.

I like that it sits lower than the BCB ones, I will have to have people try it out and see if its comfortable.

It may sit lower because of where I welded in the rear mount gussets for the springs. The front mount was pretty freaking close to just bolting right up to the original seat clamp doo dad at the rear of the tank... I had to slot the hole in the bracket and punch a hole in the middle of the seat clamp bracket doo dad for the front seat mount bolt to go in. I went about as low as I possibly could with the gussets in the rear.  It is actually very comfortable in its current configuration. My butt now sits a good 4-5" lower than with the stock seat which straightens m back up for a much more comfortable upright position.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/21/17 at 06:29:37

I got the confirmation and invoice email from Bill at Bore-Tech yesterday afternoon that it is complete! It is now with Fedex on its way back to me. Tracking shows it should be delivered Thursday(gobble gobble).

Was hoping to get it back and all put back together in time to ride it a few hundred miles that day but I guess it is what it is. The real pits of it is that it is a signature required delivery so I'll be stuck here waiting on it lol.

Can't complain too much about the price... It was a bit more than I expected (going by the pricing guide posted on his site) but it is still less than half of what a new jug would run... If one could be found lol.
Total came out to 225$ even for bore, hone, and carbide coat 1 cylinder. Shipping was another 30$.

As soon as I got the invoice I checked the price guide to compare and on the home screen of the bore-tech website is some sad news for other fellows looking to go down this path...

Bill is closing the doors at Bore-Tech as of Dec 1, 2017. Unless there are others already in the shop in line for work... Mine will likely be the last savage jug to have the Bore-Tech treatment.

I spent a few hours last night cleaning off old gaskets, and more cleaning in general. I still need to clean the rest of the gunk off the head(ran out of parts cleaner lol)... but I'm feeling pretty confident about how nice and shiny I got everything else looking.

I started fiddling with the electrical system to ensure I have the correct side signals to the correct side harness leads... but cant get anything to power up. Looking at the wiring diagram in my Clymer has me thinking it wants the side stand circuit plugged back in maybe to complete a missing circuit? Or am I missing the primary ground since the motor (and the starter contained within) are still sitting on my table...

I'll just wait to mess with it until I can get it all hooked back up with the motor back in.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 19
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 16:14:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Bore Bobber Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.