justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Las Vegas......
Reply #30 - 10/03/17 at 16:38:30

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

That's a statement that is very clear.

The reason Why is what I've never been able to get through to you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #31 - 10/03/17 at 17:21:47

Serowbot wrote on 10/03/17 at 16:14:13:
A fairly simple and immediate solution, or at least a start,... would be to outlaw these $50 kits that convert semi-autos to machine guns... (Bump stocks?)...
Nobody, but nobody needs a full auto machine gun in America.
The founders couldn't anticipate weapons that would allow a single individual to assault 20,000 people from 1,000ft away... Killing 59 people and wounding 500 in less than 10 minutes would take an army back then.

WMD's... You can't own.  Full auto qualifies...
This was mass destruction...

You once said on a different topic, they will just get a taller ladder.....
They will just figure out a way to make their gun shoot faster.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 10/03/17 at 17:48:03

Then let them... at least it ain''t floatin' about for $50...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 10/03/17 at 18:33:43

The same rationale for no additional gun laws is the same reason the left fights so strongly against sensible abortion restrictions. You know one crack, no matter how small, will be exploited.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #34 - 10/03/17 at 18:43:13

In some ways yes,... but both abortion and gun ownership do have restrictions now...
Late term abortions are severely regulated,.. as are full auto machine guns.

I think we can reduce the the severity of shootings with some reasonable limits to the lethality and availability of weapons...
I mean,.. let's agree... no nukes for civilians?... no missiles?... no hand grenades?... Howitzers?... machine guns?...
Is there any legitimate civilian use for these things?...

Remember,.. I am a gun owner... times 8!...
4 are revolvers, one bolt action... 3 semi auto 22's...two pistols one rifle none more ten 10 shot clips.
I can understand some people wanting more or bigger,
... but that ends somewhere...

Bikes are limited now to a ridiculously high 300kph... but they are limited...
guns can't grow into cannons, missiles, etc...
The 30mm cannon of an A10 does not have a practical civilian use...
Can't we at least agree on that?...
Compromise requires first finding the common ground, otherwise we just bang heads...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 10/03/17 at 18:57:52

Is  there any legitimate civilian use for these things?

Once you fully grasp WHY we are guaranteed the right to keep and bear, your answer will change.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #36 - 10/03/17 at 22:12:21

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/03/17 at 18:57:52:
Is  there any legitimate civilian use for these things?

Once you fully grasp WHY we are guaranteed the right to keep and bear, your answer will change.

You repeat yourself without adding anything to the argument.

I can grasp your literal interpretation... point conceded...
Now, you try to grasp mine...
These men,.. lived in a different time...
A literal interpretation cannot work...
In their time, a slave was not a man... person without landholding could not vote... women could not vote.
Arms, were muzzle loaded...
...and the ""militia" was needed to defend against invasion by King George of England....
None of this applies today...

If the obvious, is no longer obvious, how can it's rules be literal?...
It must be interpreted as to the intent of the writers....

The Constitution wasn’t literally written for all Americans... only for white, male, rich, landowners...
Should we literally restrict gun ownership and free speech to only rich, white men?....
No,... that was not the intent...
The intent was fair, free, equal, and honourable in that time...
We are tasked with bringing these intentions into our world.  A world they would not recognize...
They did not intend to unleash the power for one man to terrorize 20,000...
They intended for one man to be able to defend his ground... his property, and family...
... from King George's men...
In their wildest dreams.... they didn't see, nukes, jets, television, twitter, cell phones, internet, ...or mass shootings by deranged lunatics killing innocent women and children...
Imagine now,.. trying to write rules for the year 2300...
Seriously,.. take a few minutes, hours, days,.. and get back to me...
They relayed their intent very well... but it's not literal...
I think they knew that... They weren't stupid...
We need to be as brilliant as they were...

Point being,... I'm trying to express...
I have as much respect for these men as you do...  I just think they had more respect for our understanding that they were only human, living in a time and place that dictated their language....

Peace,
Serow

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #37 - 10/04/17 at 00:43:04

That's the Bot I remember......   Grin

I agree with your assessment, however, you to fall into the trap when you say these writers were solely concerned for their own welfare.
If that was the case, I believe they would have spelled it out, as in, only white man can pursue happiness...
As you mention, they were constrained by their understanding of the time of which they lived, however, given how governing entities of their present situation, and around the world, from which they in a sense, escaped, and the one sidedness of all most governing powers historically, their vision was far more freedom oriented to its citizenry.
The separation of powers shows how their minds worked, assuring states rights and equal representation of "minoritiy" states/regions re: people, away from a centralized dictator.

But I believe this argument re: 2nd, is as misplaced as the "left"
saying we don't need guns, don't make it safer, etc...
While they employ bodyguards with guns.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 10/04/17 at 02:24:40

Do you understand WHY we have the Second Amendment?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/04/17 at 04:50:09

The 2nd Amendment is to protect us from our own government. That's what its for, that's what's its always been for, that's its real purpose. It's not about self defense from criminals, its not about hunting or recreational shooting, it's about the last line of defense from an oppressive government.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 10/04/17 at 05:05:24

Having said that, it's reasonable to restrict certain weapons and we do. The process to legally own a machine  gun is difficult and expensive. This process has worked very well because I just read automatic weapons have been used 3 times since laws enacted in the 30's. I just quoting what I read yesterday, I didn't research that.

By the way, my WWII reenactor brothers have both fired BARs. Freaking awesome they siad. The guy who owned it has $25k dollars into it.

I'm thinking about bump stocks. Hadn't considered that before, not sure. High capacity magazines, I don't want restrictions on that, I like using mine. Besides that restriction is at best a minor inconvenience to serious killer.

Finally, keep in mind there are 300 million + guns in the US today that, for practical purposes, have an unlimited shelf life. We keep hearing it's physically impossible to deport 11 million illegals who walk around and interact with other people all day, but any restrictions do nothing for those 300 million unless you think you're going to send feds out to collect them....

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 10/04/17 at 05:09:52

interesting turn of events if this turns out to be true.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/las-vegas-strip-shooter-prescri...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 10/04/17 at 05:48:13

Aggressive behavior?
This required months of planning.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 10/04/17 at 06:53:45

There is no way to stop under the radar nut bent on killing. They will always find a way. Mowing a crowd way a truck , home made bombs , you just can't stop it ! Dozens of ways to kill , guns is only one way. It very sad & very shocking but it's the way the world is ! So basically all this talk is bullshitt. Even if all states had open carry laws passed this wood still happen but we might have more heroes ending it quicker.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 10/04/17 at 07:08:48

All true Rut.

There are about 44 murders per day plus countless assaults with firearms and otherwise. This attack represents a bad weekend night across the country. Is that putting things into perspective or just a useless statistic? Not sure, guess it depends upon your point of view.

But as someone who spends 75 to 100 nights a year in a hotel, I don't want to go through a metal detector to check into a hotel. All that does is shift the next target someplace else. We take our shoes off at an airport because of one person.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 18:08:43

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Las Vegas......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.