Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
What happened tensioner mods (Read 846 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
What happened tensioner mods
08/13/17 at 17:17:09

Curious about what happened with the different folks out hehre working on different tensioner mods.

How's Versy's seconday spring to allow a little more movement working out?

How's Batman's?? idea of no pawl and just letting the tensioner move? The only problem I might think of with this would be wear inside the tensioner bore since the tensioner isn't designed to move all the time.

Anybody else working on something?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: What happened tensioner mods
Reply #1 - 08/13/17 at 18:09:05

I'm going to do a rod inside the spring that only allows the plunger to retract a certain amount. And remove the pawl.
I think no pawl and no other way of restricting movement would be a bad idea. The chain would try to become an oval as it gets thrown off the sprockets.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/13/17 at 23:40:31

Armen, the bottom of our drive final drive belts have slack in them (we twist them 90 degrees with thumb and one finger) how does that effect their performance ? all the tension is on the top of the belt .the cam chain is pulled over the cam gear by the drive gear on the main shaft with all the weight of the flywheel and alternator  and is therefore under tension any time the engine moves from hitting the starter to WOT,the tensioner is merely picking up the slack on the back side of the chain which is still under tension (it's not flying around)and I believe if the main spring is strong enough to push the piston out it should be strong enough to act as a shock and prevent the chain from going oval coming off the drive gear .I believe it has for the last 11,000 of the 30,000+ miles I have on it to date,with about 90% reduction in chain stretch and no unusual wear on the guides thus far.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/14/17 at 00:37:35

Going oval won't try to make it jump a tooth.
The spring doesn't keep the tensioner extended. It takes up slack when it's parked. The Pawl keeps the chain from
Going oval.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/14/17 at 04:33:56

The big problem I see with having "no pawl", is what happens when the engine is at very low rpm.....the conditions that exist when you are starting the bike or it is coasting to a stop when you turn off the ignition.  When the valve spring pushes on the back side of the cam lobe, it places a lot of force on the chain and will make the "backside" of the chain tight and the "front" side loose....there will be a lot of flopping around of the cam chain in those first or last revolutions.

Armen is correct that if you remove the pawl, you need to have something to limit how far the valve springs can pull on the chain at low speed.....and perhaps while running to keep the chain from coming off the sprockets - the existing spring is never called on to resist the forces of the chain, as the pawl does that.  The spring pushes on the plunger and the pawl grabs another tooth when it can (perhaps too frequently), and I believe this likely happens at "startup" when the engine is cold.

I am very likely to try a "manual" tensioner this winter.......it should get me through until an updated design is completed by the "machinist" guys on this forum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 08/14/17 at 08:25:33

I intend to do what Armen is planning. I only have 6K on my bike thus far but when the time comes removing the pawl and a suitable length of rod inside the spring which allows just enough back movement.

Batman seems to be happy with what he has done so far. His mileage seems to prove something!

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/14/17 at 10:06:16

norm92de wrote on 08/14/17 at 08:25:33:
I intend to do what Armen is planning. I only have 6K on my bike thus far but when the time comes removing the pawl and a suitable length of rod inside the spring which allows just enough back movement.

If you remove the spring - but leave the pawl in place......the tensioner will likely stay at whatever setting you place it.  Then when you feel the need to adjust it....a small tug will get another notch.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/14/17 at 11:05:53

Dave ,I don't believe the pawl will stay in place without the spring pressure,and I don't believe with the inertia of the drive shaft that the valve springs are strong enough to transfer slack to the forward part of the chain,under the conditions you state the main shaft is still spinning and therefore still driving the cam. the only time the slack could be transferred is when the engine is stopped, and only in a certain position .If this happens the slack is removed the next time the starter motor is engaged,while this may "snap" the chain ,(I have no indication of this ever happening ) how much damage can it cause compared to the chain being over stretched all the time,and knowing that the starter motor isn't even powerful enough to work all the time without a compression release.If people want to place a rod in the center of the spring to limit travel I see nothing wrong ,in fact it would limit the amount of slack tranfered to the front of the chain IF it happens.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/14/17 at 12:08:40

batman wrote on 08/14/17 at 11:05:53:
Dave ,I don't believe the pawl will stay in place without the spring pressure.

If you leave the pawl spring in place - but remove the plunger spring.....the pawl will stay in place right where you set it.  the orientation of the pawl and teeth will not allow the plunger to every go backwards.  But without the plunger spring...there is nothing to push the plunger out any farther.

In the last bike I did I put a very weak spring in the plunger....that way it is not as "anxious" to grab another tooth on the plunger, and maybe the cam chain tensioner will allow a bit more time between adjustments.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/14/17 at 12:56:56

I would like to hear from someone who is running a spring in the mount hole.
I'm hoping that slows down how fast the chain gets worn. If it works according to how I Think it will, when the Pawl catches a new tooth the spring will compress when the jug grows as it warms up, decreasing the tension on the chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 08/14/17 at 16:19:59

JOG,I believe you'll be waiting a long time. I don't think that idea is sound. Finding a spring of proper  strength, in a size small enough to fit in the area,  will prove almost impossible. The fact that the softer metal of the tensioner body has to slide back and forth against the mounting stud and the snap ring ,might also cause damage and metal grit entering the oil system.If the new spring is to weak the tensioner will be pushed back against the stud and act as it did ,if the spring is to strong,the pawl will advance ,but when the cylinder expands will the tension of the chain on the back side be strong enough to move the tensioner back ? If not ,there will be no gain either way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/14/17 at 16:48:07

It's been done.
Believe what you will.
Next time I'm in it, I'm doing it.
The spring has to be stronger than the tensioner spring.
The oval hole only needs to be elongated enough to let it move a bit more than the pitch of the teeth on the tensioner.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/14/17 at 18:58:06

I agree that it been done by at least one member ,but I've not heard that it has worked.I was once told "the proof is in the pudding" ,I've had 1mm of stretch in 10,000miles ,if you have the same results I'll be very impressed,and be asking if you have one for sale.good luck, and keep us informed.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 08/14/17 at 19:13:25

What I did on our old SR500 racer was to convert the automatic tensioner to a manual one. Then I made a hole in the side of the cylinder about half way up the chain travel, on the rear (tensioned) side of the chain. I made a threaded bung and epoxied it over the hole in the cylinder.
This way, I had a way of 'reading' the cam chain movement as I was adjusting it, and could check it again when the motor was up to full running temp.
I just experimented until I found a good amount of slack when the motor was cold that would result in almost no movement when the motor was hot.
Have to take a look at the Savage and decide if the same idea will work.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 08/15/17 at 15:16:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/14/17 at 12:56:56:
I would like to hear from someone who is running a spring in the mount hole.
I'm hoping that slows down how fast the chain gets worn. If it works according to how I Think it will, when the Pawl catches a new tooth the spring will compress when the jug grows as it warms up, decreasing the tension on the chain.

I did  what you describe to my upgraded tensioner.  The problem I had was finding a mount spring that was stronger than the plunger spring.   I think that I did find one, however as I tested it on my make-shift fixture.  When I installed it in my bike, I did do some pressure testing and it did allow the tensioner to go "backward" about .050" - the amount I elongated the mount hole.

I have had it installed now for over 3,000 miles and no strange anything.  Bike runs perfectly.

Finally, I have not had the side cover off since installing it, so I can't attest to its effeciency.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 21:50:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What happened tensioner mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.