Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What happened tensioner mods (Read 846 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: What happened tensioner mods
Reply #30 - 08/26/17 at 21:30:54

JOG,I NEVER said it was stupid! I never said it can't work! I do have some doubts,but I wished him well,said it needed testing ,and that I would like to hear the result,and that if it worked I would be interested  in in buying one to install myself . Don't be putting your words ,in my mouth!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 08/26/17 at 23:33:20

How could I have inferred something so far from the truth?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #32 - 08/27/17 at 07:24:35

batman wrote on 08/18/17 at 16:41:27:
The one factor about the way my tensioner is rigged is that the spring pressure applies the same constant force against the rear chain guard and thus the chain, no matter if the bike is stopped /running, cold /or at running temp, at idle or WOT .no other approach can claim the same ,there are to many variables . If one chooses to place a rod in the center of the spring ,how do you determine the length? Keep in mind that the guide is curved toward the chain ,but swings from a bolt at the top in an arc .If the chain places pressure on the guide as the motor warms ,in the direct center of the guide, the movement  will be 4 times greater at the tensioner.

Guess I don't understand how you determine this "4x greater at the tensionser" part?

If the timing chain is exerted to the curved chain guide directly to the guide it would be the same amount exerted by the guide to the tensioner.  How do you come up with the 4x amount?

The mods suggested by Mr. Verslagen (If I understand them correctly) are to 1) keep the tensioner from falling apart when the plunger extends out too far, and 2) to eliminate the extra force caused by a rigid tensioner (due to pawl ratcheting assy. when extended during cold) and transferring that unforgiving force toward the chain as it and cylinder warm up and expand causing the chain to already be too tight.

The first one is easily taken care of by the pin/screw that prevents the tensioner from separating.

The second problem is the one in question.  Some have just eliminated the pawl assy. which prevents the tensioner from becoming rigid, allowing the existing spring to keep pressure on the chain guide but allow it to compress back when the chain/cylinder heats up. I think this is great idea as long as the chain doesn't just "flop" back and forth if the spring may not be strong enough to overcome the flopping pressure.  Also, according to Hook's law, the more extended the spring becomes, the less pressure it will be able to exert on the chain.  The worst scenario here would be after the chain has worn (stretched) enough to be significant is also where the spring would be at its most extended point and thus the weakest pressure.  But, with the double hole added to the plunger, and at this point moving out to the extended hole, the spring would then be re-compressed to near original compression and overcome this problem.

The second way of handling the second problem is to add a spring between the mount pin and the body of the adjuster.  Here the dilemma is to get the second spring just slightly stronger than original spring ANDf have enough movement in the "slot" to account for the chain tightenung up after the engine heats up.  I calculated .050" added to make the mounting hole to make it a slot with .050 of possible movement.  If at the beginning of chain wear, the adjuster produces more pressure than my secondary spring has, I have no more than just allowed the setup to work as it originally did from the factory.  If after  some extension of the primary spring (thus entering a less-pressure situation), it would then allow the secondary spring to do its thing and allow the timing chain to push back a bit and allow the adjuster to also move back.  This situation allows the chain some release from the rigid pressure of the original setup.  I can't see why this wouldn't work!  My problem is, is how we can actually "measure" how much would be beneficial, as to my knowledge, none of us is doing any sort of scientific" method of testing or measuring.  What would constitute an affirmative that it (or any method) is "beneficial"?  

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 08/27/17 at 10:12:25

What would constitute an affirmative that it (or any method) is "beneficial"?  

If fifteen thousand miles allowed the tensioner to extend fifteen MM before the spring mod, but not after.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #34 - 08/27/17 at 13:51:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/27/17 at 10:12:25:
What would constitute an affirmative that it (or any method) is "beneficial"?  

If fifteen thousand miles allowed the tensioner to extend fifteen MM before the spring mod, but not after.

Well, I didn't measure exactly where my plunger was when I changed mine over, but I think I have a good idea.  I will measure probably when I inspect next spring/summer.  15mm = aprox. .590.  At this time, I have over 3,000 miles on it with no issues that I know of.  Runs quiet and strong with a lot of acceleration.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 08/27/17 at 14:44:40

My figures are purely hypothetical.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 05/17/18 at 04:29:28

I am dragging up this old thread, as I am doing some maintenance/improvements to my Savage Cafe', and one of the things I did was install one of Lancer's nitrided cam chains and make a change to my cam chain tensioner.  When I had this bike apart at 1,200 miles the tensioner plunger was out 13mm....after another 8,000 miles it was out 15mm.  I still had some life left - but since I was changing my cam I decided just to go ahead and swap the chain for the nitrided one at the same time.

I assembled the engine with the new cam and chain, and rotated the engine through several revolutions.  The tensioner plunger extended to 10mm.

I then took the tensioner off and removed the pawl and pawl spring, and I made an aluminum spacer to install inside the tensioner body to limit the travel....I adjusted the length of the spacer so that the tensioner plunger cannot retract to anything less than 9mm.....this allows 1mm of movement as the engine warms up.  The stock tensioner spring will provide tension on the chain guide as before - the only thing that is missing is the pawl and the tensioner will not automatically adjust and overtighten the chain.

This photo shows the tensioner and 2 spacers.  The spacer is machined with a hole in the center for the spring.

This is what the tensioner looks like prior to assembly.

Is 1mm of travel the "correct" amount?......nobody knows.  It is however 1mm more than the pawl would have allowed, and as the chain is used and the slack gradually increases.....there will be more clearance available.  Only time will tell if this change works and is worth doing, and I will likely pull off the clutch cover at the end of the riding season to see how much change has occurred.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 05/17/18 at 07:57:41

Dave ,I can't remember who but someone measured the difference in cylinder height at one time and estimated chain stretch to be 1.5mm between a cold and warm motor. ( but who knows?) I have run without the pawl spring from 19000 to at present 31500miles with no apparent problems ,the motor is otherwise stock ,except for tuned intake runner ,carb tuning , main jet (150) ,  a Dyna muffler  ,and a 140/90 rear tire, it accelerates briskly and still tops out at 90 mph. I checked the tensioner last Spring at about 10,000 miles and found 1-2mm of extension , I be checking it again or this winter ,it should have over 15000 by then. As a side note ,I did my own home version of the Gadgetman Grove to my carb and I'm seeing a 9-9.7% increase in fuel mileage depending on if I'm riding two up or solo.

« Last Edit: 05/19/18 at 09:30:55 by batman »  

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #38 - 05/17/18 at 11:26:08

Dave,
That will get it done. It is essentially what I proposed with my rod inside the spring but far more elegant, you broke out your lathe. Smiley I can't wait to see how it works over the miles

All manufacturers have mostly similar devices for maintaining cam chain tension. The Savage is the poorest design that I have experienced.

I cannot see any downside to what you have done. The screw/nut type devices are essentially fixed until the next adjustment.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #39 - 05/17/18 at 11:31:28

I'm stuttering again. Grin

Your cam bearings will thank you. The intermittent over- tension of the cam mechanism must be enormous. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 05/17/18 at 15:33:13

Dave wrote on 05/17/18 at 04:29:28:
Is 1mm of travel the "correct" amount?......nobody knows.  It is however 1mm more than the pawl would have allowed, and as the chain is used and the slack gradually increases.....there will be more clearance available.  Only time will tell if this change works and is worth doing, and I will likely pull off the clutch cover at the end of the riding season to see how much change has occurred.

1 mm should be pretty close. I think we calculated.03" or thereabouts.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #41 - 05/17/18 at 15:46:44

Dave,
Maybe you have instituted a new maintenance schedule. Possibly 10K and then return the clearance back to 1MM. Time will tell.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #42 - 05/19/18 at 10:27:55

I've often heard that because I removed the pawl spring and my tensioner is just a spring loaded shock, that the chain many be flopping around. but consider for a moment that even at an idle speed of 1000 rpm that the cam is still being driven at 8 1/3 revs per second, (500 rpm).I believe the chain is still moving fast enough to maintain a constant pressure against the guide .After 12,500 miles of use, 31,500 total miles on my factory original chain , I have no indication in either noise ,wear ,vibration or performance, that  any flopping occurs.

« Last Edit: 05/19/18 at 20:47:44 by batman »  

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #43 - 05/20/18 at 10:40:05

Batman,
Do you still have the original plunger on your tensioner? i.e. no extension welded on. If so that is impressive mileage on the original chain.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #44 - 05/20/18 at 11:15:55

No ,My plunger was out  19mm at 19,000 miles ,I did an extension at that time and have since put on another 12,500miles to date without the pawl spring . I checked it last May at about 10,000 miles and found the piston had moved out about 1-2 mm  at that time. I will be checking again at the end of this riding season when I should have at least 15,000 miles . If I had it to do over again I would have removed the pawl spring earlier, and saved much of the first 19mm stretch (about 50% of the" normal" chain life).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 12:10:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What happened tensioner mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.