Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What happened tensioner mods (Read 846 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: What happened tensioner mods
Reply #60 - 05/27/18 at 12:51:26

That's an excellent point Batman.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #61 - 05/28/18 at 06:58:16

Dave
I think the reason for Clymer saying to rotate the engine clockwise is to eliminate the possibility of loosening the alternator bolt. hard to imagine it would loosen, but with the plug in and someone turning rapidly, who knows.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #62 - 05/28/18 at 08:48:11

But if you rotate CW, you engage the starter and risk breaking the case or the teeth on the gear.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #63 - 05/28/18 at 18:34:23

What Versy  said! Even more true if you own a 1995 or older bike with straight cut starter gears .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #64 - 05/29/18 at 13:48:18

On a positive note: Smiley

Our cam chain tensioner may not be the best but the rear of the cylinder has a very clean look and a potential oil leak has been eliminated. Also, I think we are closing in on a scheme to get the maximum life out of the chain.

By the way, how many miles do other engines get out of their cam chains? Anybody got a clue?

I have never owned a particular bike long enough to find out but have never had a problem for 20k or so which I realize is not very many miles.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #65 - 05/30/18 at 04:09:09

norm92de wrote on 05/29/18 at 13:48:18:
On a positive note: Smiley

By the way, how many miles do other engines get out of their cam chains? Anybody got a clue?

I have never owned a particular bike long enough to find out but have never had a problem for 20k or so which I realize is not very many miles.

One fellow on the 250 Ninja forum got 86,970 miles on his original engine and replaced it due to the cam chain being worn out.  On this engine the cam chain is in the middle of the crank between the 2 cylinders, and it requires taking the engine completely apart to replace the cam chain. It is far easier and cheaper to buy a good used motor - there are plenty of good engines from low mileage crashed bikes (that obviously will change as the years pass). 

Quote from his post:

I did replace the original engine at 86,970 miles with a 1,700 mile '01 engine, due only to my decision that the camchain was getting excessively worn, and might break before long. If it did break, it might break the crankcase and ruin the engine. But at 86,970 miles the performance was still normal and the oil consumption was still nil, as it always was. The worn camchain was evidenced by being able to be pulled excessively away from the cam sprockets, and no more adjustment available on the adjuster. Probably the camchain guide strips were also well worn. Had it not been that camchain replacement requires the complete dismantling and reassembly of the engine, I would have replaced the chain and guide strips and continued to run the engine.

Link to his thread:
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/100,000_miles_on_an_EX250

« Last Edit: 05/30/18 at 05:29:19 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #66 - 05/30/18 at 16:57:45

I don't believe changing the cam chain on a Ninja would be as hard as people think . The fact that the case seam is horizontal ,make s replacement a bit easier.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:52:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What happened tensioner mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.