T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Is politics local?
Reply #30 - 08/06/17 at 12:43:10

raydawg wrote on 08/06/17 at 10:15:52:
So who decides what is faux news then?

Why can no one answer what the criteria is for that....
Seems it's just another group think rule thing, like global warming, etc.

I'm not sure you can "decide" what is fake and what is not.

An example of fake news is our president saying: “And I got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful,” Trump said. “So there was — there was no mix.”

Then finding out he never got a call from them.  Plain and simple lie.  That's fake news.

It's funny that you list global warming as a "group think rule".  There's hard science to back it up.  It's like the Earth being round and it going around the Sun - it's fact not a "group think".  The folks denying it are in the same boat as those who think Sandy Hook never happened, the moon landing was faked and that 9/11 was an inside job.

But to really answer your question... I guess it comes down to this - fake news is in the eye of the beholder.  After all, there are still people who actually believe that the Earth is flat.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 08/06/17 at 13:12:57

Dunno about the others, but 9/11 was clearly an inside job.
People were warned to stay away.
Structures that tall and skinny don't collapse straight down, they lean over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #32 - 08/06/17 at 13:57:59

Hard science is still theory based, not historical fact.
You have many who have the same scientific learnings, and disagree with the facts you herald.
You are choosing to believe, just as I am in God.

If you can answer how the ice age was melted by warming, based on these facts you presently attribute to global warming, I will listen.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 08/07/17 at 06:36:39

raydawg wrote on 08/06/17 at 13:57:59:
Hard science is still theory based, not historical fact.

You know the Earth is round, right?  Hard science.

You have many who have the same scientific learnings, and disagree with the facts you herald.

"Many"?  You mean the 7% or so that have their own websites calling it a hoax?  Just about as many claim the moon landing never happened and that 9/11 was an inside job...

You are choosing to believe, just as I am in God.

But unlike God - there is empirical evidence of the rise in temperature. There is no "choice" - you measure something and it's been proven.  100 degrees is hot, 0 degrees is cold, etc.

If you can answer how the ice age was melted by warming, based on these facts you presently attribute to global warming, I will listen.

All one has to do is look at the rate of change in temperature in the last 100 years or so.  There simply is no precedent to this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 08/07/17 at 07:00:12

There was likely no Precedent for the melting glaciers.
That didn't explain WHY they melted.
There may be no Precedent for the Medieval warm period. That doesn't mean it didn't happen.
And, you have No explanation.

The Unprecedented is not necessarily a disaster.
Your Scientists predictions Have thus far been Bullshit.
But the fearful continue to run in circles crying about the end.

Eventually, facts are facts.
Your list of dire consequences of the predictions that have come true is anxiously awaited.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #35 - 08/07/17 at 09:13:28

Glad you are not a lawyer TT.......

The father instructed his kids to not drink alcohol, as he drove them to their first high school party, with a beer neatly tucked between his legs....

One of the kids asked why?

He said, "Because I told you so, I am older and wiser...... that's why"  

This is why I do not really spend much energy engaging you, or assigning your post/replies, much value.
To dialogue is just that, to engage each other, on a peer to peer level, here, let me post the definition:

di·a·logue
[ dahy- uh-lawg, -log]

NOUN
conversation between two or more persons.
the conversation between characters in a novel, drama, etc.
an exchange of ideas or opinions on a particular issue, especially a political or religious issue, with a view to reaching an amicable agreement or settlement.
a literary work in the form of a conversation: a dialogue of Plato.

Seems me, expecting you, to honor #3, is my fault.....

Its NOT that I despise, no, but stupid on my part to expect a dry well to provide a quenching.

Hope that clarifies how I view your participation, AND mine, on this board....
It is NOT personal.  Kiss  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/07/17 at 09:54:49

raydawg wrote on 08/07/17 at 09:13:28:
Glad you are not a lawyer TT.......

The father instructed his kids to not drink alcohol, as he drove them to their first high school party, with a beer neatly tucked between his legs....

One of the kids asked why?

He said, "Because I told you so, I am older and wiser...... that's why"  

This is why I do not really spend much energy engaging you, or assigning your post/replies, much value.

If I have posted something without merit, untrue or made up - call me on it. Prove me wrong if you'd like/can.

To dialogue is just that, to engage each other, on a peer to peer level, here, let me post the definition:

di·a·logue
[ dahy- uh-lawg, -log]

NOUN
conversation between two or more persons.
the conversation between characters in a novel, drama, etc.
an exchange of ideas or opinions on a particular issue, especially a political or religious issue, with a view to reaching an amicable agreement or settlement.
a literary work in the form of a conversation: a dialogue of Plato.

Seems me, expecting you, to honor #3, is my fault.....

Its NOT that I despise, no, but stupid on my part to expect a dry well to provide a quenching.

Hope that clarifies how I view your participation, AND mine, on this board....
It is NOT personal.  Kiss  

So... are you saying that the Earth isn't round?  I'm not sure of your point.

This was your question:
"If you can answer how the ice age was melted by warming, based on these facts you presently attribute to global warming, I will listen"

First off - it doesn't make much sense.  The factors of the Ice Age creation and melt were completely different from present day and part of the natural cycles of the planet.

Second - You didn't address what I stated.  Do you acknowledge the rate of change as being a legitimate concern in global temperature rise?

The ball is in your court - if you wish to truly dialog.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #37 - 08/07/17 at 10:41:03

We had an ice age melt.
It is documented.
It is fact.
Not hard science, but fact.

The ball is in your court.
Why did it melt?
Could the same factors that caused it to melt, be a factor of the current climate concerns?

Yeah, the earth ain't round  Roll Eyes
Why do you waste energy typing such idiocies.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 08/07/17 at 11:11:13

raydawg wrote on 08/07/17 at 10:41:03:
We had an ice age melt.
It is documented.
It is fact.
Not hard science, but fact.

Yes, a fact - but technically it's hard science - there weren't record keepers during the ice age - scientific study and analysis tells us the temperatures back then.

The ball is in your court.
Why did it melt?

The normal cycles of the Planet - proved out by scientific research.

Could the same factors that caused it to melt, be a factor of the current climate concerns?

Yes - there could be contributions to it, of course.  However, to ignore the rate of change as compared to the past is to not acknowledge man's effect.  That's the point.  The rate at which the Earth is warming is of great concern.

Think of it like this - you're on a bike without brakes or a clutch (just go with it), if you're at idle, you'll travel at a constant speed, agreed?  But if you twist the throttle, you obviously go faster and then coast back to idle speed.  Well, man is "twisting the throttle" and it's gonna take time for the Planet to get back to "idle speed".

Yeah, the earth ain't round  Roll Eyes
Why do you waste energy typing such idiocies.

It was merely a question and my way of showing hard science.  I'm glad you know the Earth is round.  It's not so idiotic a question ray - there are thousands of people that think the Earth is a flat disk and that all the pics and videos you see are faked.

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 08/07/17 at 14:54:02

raydawg wrote on 08/06/17 at 13:57:59:

I'm not sure why people keep debating about global warming through the lense of "the ice age"; a time before recorded history. You can provide all the permafrost and soil records you want and the anti-intellectual movement  will never budge on their denial.

There are much better historical examples that are documented and recorded of relatively rapid climate change destroying civilizations.

First of all, the phenomena of the United States rapidly becoming a world superpower isn't because we have some secret-sauce of gumption. Our ancestors landed on one of the most resource-rich and completely untapped stretches of land in the world. Full stop. Empires throughout human history follow this pattern.

Irrigation and farming tech meeting a favorable climate period in something known as the Piora Oscillation allowed some of the first recorded governments and civilizations to build trade routes and small nation-states near the Tigris and Euphrates. Climate shifted back towards more unfavorable conditions for a few hundred years and this civilization mostly fell and migrated.

Pre-crusades much of the middle-east was fertile, wetter and more mediterranean. It's no wonder they were more successful scientifically and Militarily than their European counterparts for so long. Hell, the Moors held much of Spain for a little over 700 years. Then north Africa got drier. Instead of pursuing higher endeavors, people struggled to feed themselves, which predictably made the region more violent, less successful and all-together the less-habitable place we know today.

There are many more examples of this if you care to google historical examples of climate change.

My point is, the argument we're having about climate change is flawed, in that, it's not an all-out apocalypse vs. a bald-faced lie. There's no real discussion there. When someone attacks you, you attack them back...

The climate is changing, much quicker than has ever been recorded historically or prehistorically and it's in our best interest to do something about it because the material advantages we owe much if not most of our success to are at risk. Solar alone is creating much more jobs than gas and oil is and will continue to do so, so I really don't see a downside to mobilizing a massive change in how we generate and utilize power. People need jobs. People need power, and at least half the population believes we need to reduce our carbon footprint... So committ!

And having ridden a Zero and being a passenger in a Tesla, I'm not worried about my beloved time on the road. Electric vehicles are AWESOME. They're saying solid state batteries will roll out in a few years and give an electric motorcycle a 1000 mile range. Grain of salt, for sure, but if so screw internal combustion.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 08/07/17 at 15:40:37

Quote:
It is of primary importance to explain that climate change, and subsequent periods of glaciation, resulting from the following three variables is not due to the total amount of solar energy reaching Earth. The three Milankovitch Cycles impact the seasonality and location of solar energy around the Earth, thus impacting contrasts between the seasons.

http://www.indiana.edu/~geol105/images/gaia_chapter_4/milankovitch.htm

WWW   IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 08/07/17 at 16:25:06

I'm not sure what your quote has to do with the current discussion. Can you clarify your point?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 08/07/17 at 16:49:39

I thought it went well with your post explaining the reasons for localized changes in climate.

WWW   IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 08/07/17 at 17:20:49

I'm not arguing that it is or isn't. I just read the link you quoted from and don't understand what the point is. The excentricity of Earth is variable because of other celestial bodies and this is a major factor in climate cycles. I agree. But what does that have to do with the debate about man-made climate change?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 08/08/17 at 07:35:44

Long before co2 became an issue, this guy said we're about midway between ice ages, so naturally we are going to get as hot as it's going to get.  Your rise and fall of civilization seems to correspond with a favorable climates and the Milankovitch Cycles support changing climate in various locals.

We are but a pimple on this earth compared to what the sun can do.

My son said rising co2 levels are not the cause of global warming, but an indicator of.  And don't forget 9/11, a week w/out vapor trails being laid around the world and it got hotter.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 03:19:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is politics local?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.