Is politics local? (Read 257 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Is politics local?
Reply #15 - 08/05/17 at 15:58:33

LockeClone wrote on 08/05/17 at 15:46:14:
Who's Mr. Drive by? Am I Mr. Drive by?...

And which point do you feel I've dodged? Your point was "That you saw it", which I addressed with crime statistics followed by a virtual novella on confirmation bias.

If that's not thoroughly addressing you and your point, compared to you asserting that you saw it in a couple sentences with no supporting evidence then calling me "Mr. Drive By", I think you might just be afraid and that makes you angry.

Nope, not you.
You make sense.. and talk about stuff.
I have posted and bumped a thread for you to look at.
Trust me, I'm not a bumpkin nor am I hiding from psychological discomfort.

I've read
Creature from Jekyll Island
I know what
Charlotte Iserbyt says
I'm up to speed on
Economic Hit Man
And that's just the beginning.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #16 - 08/05/17 at 16:00:38

And as human beings, we have rights, not derived From government.
Self defense is number one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 08/05/17 at 16:10:52

more likely to view the ensuing events through a lense bias towards that viewpoint by a factor of 10

I find that statement intriguing..... is it held to its own standard, as well?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/05/17 at 17:12:57

I find that statement intriguing..... is it held to its own standard, as well?

Oh man! Super important question right?

My belief in confirmation bias originally comes from reading about two controversial experiments out of Stanford in the 70's that seemed to show that normally rational people could be made to make irrational decisions by telling the subjects incorrect information about how well they did guessing if a set a suicide letters were legit or fabricated.

Cool stuff, but sure: If you're an academic you want to publish shocking things, so peer review is necessary.

In this case thousands of experiments at hundreds of universities have confirmed their findings, and my experience with these social scientists has been that they are very clever and take control populations very seriously...

I find this threshold pretty immutable, but it's still not undebatable. Nothing is, but there's definitely some sort of tipping-point grey-area where the burden of proof shifts to the other side, like how we know the world isn't flat or how gravity is still technically a theory. Obviously confirmation bias evidence isn't nearly as string as those examples, but it is generally accepted as a true phenomenon and this acceptance has a string basis in study and review...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/05/17 at 17:48:26

rational people could be made to make irrational decisions by telling the subjects incorrect information

So, lie to get them to choose what you wanted.

How many wars have been started that way?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 08/05/17 at 18:37:08

in this case thousands of experiments at hundreds of universities have confirmed their findings, and my experience with these social scientists has been that they are very clever and take control populations very seriously...

So, seems it could fall into judgement, of its own design, based on the commonality of their scientific community group think, if we are to hold ALL theories/beliefs scrutiny to the same factors.....

Or, am I missing something?

I can say, without fear of being rebuffed, that every single person who ever ate a carrot, has died.

I never assigned it cause, but too, without all the facts, known, can it be dismissed, either, and by such default, a carrot ate, is now linked to possibly causing death.

Lets default then to observed reality, which I think was Jog's point.

Perhaps he has himself eaten bushels of carrots, and still suffered no adverse effects.
Nor has any of his friends, who like to dress up like bunny rabbits, and eat carrots from TT's garden.

So chances are Jog finds no value, or truth, to my default argument that carrots cause death, through observed reality.

Lets use your declaration that we now "know" the earth is flat.....

Accepting that as truth, I then instruct a group of friends to not be afraid of the rim, or edge, of the Grand Canyon, and to venture as close to it, or step off, if they so desire, because the earth is flat.....

To remove context, or bias, or a persons very own uniqueness, is to relinquish, or deny, the very core of a persons soul, or being.

To then lump it/them, together, to achieve an outcome, brings the sword full circle and cuts off the foundation upon which it was based, in the beginning.

The only way to circumvent this outcome, is to be a member of the BIGGEST herd.

But of course, that just returns it back to square one, again, and again, and again......

I ask then....... Who is right?

Wouldn't the answer lie within the question, "Why do I need, to be right?"

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/05/17 at 18:39:58

Specifically, telling people they've figured correctly when, I quantative terms, they have not.

It's more evil than a bald-faced lie because you can selectively train reasoning traits into people. If tell you there are weapons of mass destruction because I want you to support my war, it helps if I've spent the past several years loudly confirming your fears, so when the time comes you'll nod and go along with it instead of asking hard-to-answer questions that go counter to what I want.

It's neat to see this demonstrated on something as simple as guessing which letters are fake in something the subjects have no attachment to. It's not a stretch to imagine that people make even poorer decisions when they are passionate about the results.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 08/05/17 at 18:42:11

I need to be correct because there is No Benefit in being incorrect.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #23 - 08/05/17 at 18:52:10

LockeClone wrote on 08/05/17 at 18:39:58:
Specifically, telling people they've figured correctly when, I quantative terms, they have not.

It's more evil than a bald-faced lie because you can selectively train reasoning traits into people. If tell you there are weapons of mass destruction because I want you to support my war, it helps if I've spent the past several years loudly confirming your fears, so when the time comes you'll nod and go along with it instead of asking hard-to-answer questions that go counter to what I want.

It's neat to see this demonstrated on something as simple as guessing which letters are fake in something the subjects have no attachment to. It's not a stretch to imagine that people make even poorer decisions when they are passionate about the results.

Being delusional, is not new or novel.
Nor being stupid.
Nor conducting a study to justify a desired result, and then assigning validity, as a means to justify it.  

We allow this in our capitalistic society, as advertising.

I once spent more $$$$ on a certain brand of beer, because it was marketed to show the girls in the bar migrated to these guys, thinking they had more money than those drinking tap.

I got no more chicks.....
They prolly thought I was a dupe for believing such a stupid advertisement.

Politicians "spin".
The media runs "news" on stories with anonymous sources....

What ever happened to speaking the truth, is it subjective, or, the end justifies the means?       

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #24 - 08/05/17 at 18:54:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/05/17 at 18:42:11:
I need to be correct because there is No Benefit in being incorrect.

Please explain advertising then Jog.

Do our courts seek the truth, or do they seek an outcome of which they have been hired to achieve?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 08/05/17 at 19:50:57

I won't pursue you down your tangent.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #26 - 08/05/17 at 20:45:54

LockeClone - some great points, and the faux news phenomena might just be an example.  Keep the good stuff rolling. Wink

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/06/17 at 09:23:27

Cheers!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #28 - 08/06/17 at 10:15:52

So who decides what is faux news then?

Why can no one answer what the criteria is for that....
Seems it's just another group think rule thing, like global warming, etc.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/06/17 at 12:33:12

LockeClone wrote on 08/05/17 at 18:39:58:

Well stated Locke!  Here, here!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 19:39:04

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Is politics local?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.