Send Topic Print
Italian Bikes (Read 784 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Italian Bikes
Reply #15 - 08/02/17 at 10:05:00

The Heron head is no longer an issue since they quit making that design and now use conventional heads.

The small block engine from which the current V7 and V9 series is derived has been made for nearly 30 years so they do have experience with that design and it is derived from the older large block design.

I don't see a reason to label the v7 or v9 as "quirky".  If anything it is truly retro and does not try to be a sport bike.  Performance is not the reason why people buy these things.  I currently own 4 very different bikes and have owned lots of bikes in the past.  I see nothing unusual or "quirky" about the Guzzi.  It is what it is, it doesn't imitate other bikes.

Armen wrote, " the 700cc sub 50 HP gutless wonder" (he is referring to the older models, that would be my bike).  Obviously some consider it to be under powered.  The V7 will scoot past most city traffic, it will do the ton and run at expressway speeds all day long year after year.  In performance and design it is very much like the BMW airheads of similar displacement.

The biggest problem I see with the Guzzis is that they are expensive for what you get and the resale is low.  Also there are not many dealers in the US and some of them don't sale enough of them to have any decent experience in their service departments.  The designs are solid but there have been a few quality control problems.  The Japanese manufacturers are more consistent in their quality control.

Having said all that my next bike may be smaller and lighter.  The new small displacement Versys, BMW, KTM and even the new 500 Rebel have me interested and they are attractively priced.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #16 - 08/02/17 at 11:27:35

Armen, I get that you aren't into Guzzis, but I don't see our 650cc engine ever doing the ton (over 100mph) so I guess it's a gutless wonder too??

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #17 - 08/02/17 at 14:07:57

I think the V50 made it's European debut in '76.  I have a late production '77 registered as a '78.  I think they moved small block production to Milan in '78.  I'm a tractor fan, I have a few of them.

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #18 - 08/02/17 at 14:27:33

In any event, and I don't have a dog in the fight because I don't own one, the Morini was good for 90mph plus, can use a stupidly small amount of fuel (80mpg) looks beautiful and evidently handles very well indeed. And they were quite popular in Europe More than 16 anyway, despite being very expensive. Not bad for a 350 with Heron head. Also came in 500cc and ADV style Kanguro. Maybe they were not so popular in the States? I'd have one any day. A Guzzi, too. That'll have to wait though. Just bought a TRX850. More quirk.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 08/02/17 at 14:27:45

Well ,

I put a deposit on a 2016 (new) V-7 Stone today , so I'll be picking it up sometime in the next two weeks .    
I'll keep the Harley for  a while and by spring have it ready to pass on to the new lucky owner .    
The V7 has the same power and is 150# lighter .   The Guzzi also has anti-lock breaks , and blue tooth  ???  I see a learning curve in my future !  Lips Sealed

I understand it connects to your smart phone somehow so you can still find your bike if ya come out of the bar after dark and forget where you parked  !   Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #20 - 08/02/17 at 14:29:04

Congrats, man. Nice scooter  Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 08/02/17 at 14:43:15

Yea Gizzo

I'm thinking Hard Bags this time , and what ever makes the Wife more comfortable !   our nest is close to being empty and we need a touring bike that don't weigh a 1000 #'s .   This one is only 418 # starting out.   Smiley

The 5.8 gal fuel tank might be nice too !    Wink  
remind me of when I could only put in $5.00 worth and the tank never got filled .  Grin

silver_v7_penn_.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/02/17 at 18:25:29

MM, congratulations!    Have fun and give us an update!

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 08/02/17 at 18:35:49

Congrats MM, that is a nice looking bike.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #24 - 08/02/17 at 19:00:17

Very Nice MM , it's bueatiful , now I'm jealous !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #25 - 08/03/17 at 02:35:45

Very handsome bike!
Enjoy!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 08/03/17 at 03:51:50

MM......cool!

Does this mean that in the future I won't get to see sparks flying off the end of your footpegs as you corner?

You might need a bit of a wardrobe change...maybe something like this!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #27 - 08/03/17 at 05:16:15

Great choice. I can't wait to see the ride report(s). I've only ridden a Guzzi once, but what was memorable was running the throttle back and forth at a traffic light and feeling the the bike rock to the right - like only a proper V engine can.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #28 - 08/03/17 at 05:51:12

Thanks guys ,   I haven't even ridden a guzzi yet , ... but am going with the fact that they have been making bikes a long time.    There was a dealer in the next town over when I was in my 20's .    He  always rode a Guzzi , but they were really big bikes back then --- but he was a big feller .    Kind of like my friend Charles who rides am old Gold Wing , but he is a big feller and the bike fits him good.   Its light , and still has room and power to double is the idea that I like .    Smiley

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 08/03/17 at 06:52:05

Dave , I didn't even think about the --- Image ---  factor ...  Embarrassed

If my leather and hair need to match , maybe I should find some --- Chrome --- leathers    Grin .

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:03:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Italian Bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.