Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Humble mod fail: Tell me yours (Read 184 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Humble mod fail: Tell me yours
11/19/17 at 00:22:25

I made a bracket from aluminum angle, to mount my chrome, mini-bullet turn signals just where I wanted them, on the licence plate bracket. I made tech drawings, four prototypes, then the final product. Polished it up real good and mounted it - Perfect!

Its been on the bike for about four months. The other day I rode to a mate's place and when I got there, the left turn signal was hanging from the wires and had been swinging against the tire. The bent arm had snapped off. The other side showed no signs of fatigue, but I did little more than touch it, and it also snapped off!! The turn signals are now mounted in the rear-most fender-rail holes.

It got me thinking about other 'simple' mods I've made. In particular, the aluminium spacers I made for the handlebar risers. I had to buy longer bolts - and I had to make the hex-head smaller to fit in the OEM handlebar clamps. That mod is now on my mind a bit!

Does anyone else want to share their 'mod fails'. It might make for some informative reading.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Humble mod fail: Tell me yours
Reply #1 - 11/19/17 at 01:07:35

How thick was the mounts you made for the rear turn signals ?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/19/17 at 09:45:48

A similar thing happened on my bike but it wasn't a mod.  The license plate cracked in two just below the bracket bolts, a clear case of metal fatigue.  There must be a fair amount of vibration in the back.  I made a backing piece out of 1/8 inch stock, drilled some extra holes and bolted it back on.  That's not the first time a license plate cracked on me.  When I rode British twins in the sixties it was fairly common, even the fenders would sometimes crack from fatigue.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 11/19/17 at 10:28:20

I had the license plate thing as well, indeed I nearly lost it. I made a couple of aluminium plates, glued them together and glued the license plate to those and bolted it back on.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 11/19/17 at 10:48:49

I lost my licence plate recently too. I think the previous owner had backed it into something as it had a slight bend in it. It eventually cracked. A friend told me it would drop off. I didn't believe him. One day I got up in the morning and noticed the plate was gone - just a strip left under the bolts. Some f the local roads around here are a pretty patchy, so the rear probably gets a fair bit of stress.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 11/19/17 at 10:50:19

LANCER wrote on 11/19/17 at 01:07:35:
How thick was the mounts you made for the rear turn signals ?

It was 4mm angle from the hardware store.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 11/19/17 at 10:55:17

By the way, I wasn't happy with the LED signals either. They just weren't bright enough in daylight. I managed to find the same thing in a halogen (E rated) version, with amber lenses. They have the exact same housing, and internal mount for the globes - so at least I have a spare set of housings if I  ever damage them.

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 11/19/17 at 18:54:58

First the aluminum stock from the hardware store is pretty soft alloy, in picture it looks anodized, which is usually softer material. It experiences a lot of fatigue when bent. How did you bend it? In a break or possibly in a vise. Third did the bend involve a mallet? and forth was it a clean one shot to the correct angle or did it involve any bendies to get it at the right angle. Its always best to use a break and get angles correct with aluminum in one clean bend. If in a vise and hit with a mallet it fatigues the metal additionally. If it involved any tweaking bending to get angle correct that causes a lot of fatigue. There is a little science to bending aluminum, there are radius considerations, known as the minimal bend radius, which can be referenced on line. Also like mentioned with tweaking, you can bend aluminum, but can't straigten it if bent to far, that's why it's best to use a break.

That said, to be honest I would have felt safe in using a similar material for that application, maybe just shortened to height of the arms.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 11/19/17 at 23:52:11

SoC wrote on 11/19/17 at 18:54:58:
First the aluminum stock from the hardware store is pretty soft alloy, in picture it looks anodized, which is usually softer material. It experiences a lot of fatigue when bent. How did you bend it? In a break or possibly in a vise. Third did the bend involve a mallet? and forth was it a clean one shot to the correct angle or did it involve any bendies to get it at the right angle. Its always best to use a break and get angles correct with aluminum in one clean bend. If in a vise and hit with a mallet it fatigues the metal additionally. If it involved any tweaking bending to get angle correct that causes a lot of fatigue. There is a little science to bending aluminum, there are radius considerations, known as the minimal bend radius, which can be referenced on line. Also like mentioned with tweaking, you can bend aluminum, but can't straigten it if bent to far, that's why it's best to use a break.

That said, to be honest I would have felt safe in using a similar material for that application, maybe just shortened to height of the arms.

Hey SoC, thanks for the tips  Smiley

To answer your questions, I tried a few different methods of bending the aluminium.

1. I put it in a vice and yanked it - snapped right off.
2. I put it in a vice and tapped it with a hammer - ended up obviously weak.
3. I held it by hand over the corner of the anvil-flat on my vice and peened it with a hammer, kind of working the radius as I went. I was careful not to go too far, so I didn't need to bend it back out at all.

The last method seemed to produce a good result. It withstood a moderate test of putting some pressure on it by hand. I thought it was pretty good, and went with that.

I was surprised after a few months when one arm fell off! I was especially surprised by the intact one. It showed no signs of fatigue, but it broke off with the slightest pressure.

I've now mounted the signals in the fender-rail holes to keep me on the road. I was going to make a new bracket from mild steel, and weld instead of bend. But, I kind of like them where they are now, so I'm re-thinking the setup. I want to add some kind of capacity to carry a small bag on the back, even if I carry a passenger. I'm thinking about a custom made sissy bar - I just don't like the stock fender-rails which the OEM sissy bar attaches to. I'm not in a hurry so I'll take some time to think, sketch, and prototype. A friend of mine knows a guy that does that kind of custom work, so I'll probably pay him a visit eventually.

In the mean time, I'm waiting for my Triumph Superbars to arrive for the other end of the bike!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 11/20/17 at 04:32:51

You can soften the aluminum and reduced the bending induced stress by heating the aluminum before bending.  Rub a piece of soap on the aluminum and heat it just until the soap starts to turn dark.  The aluminum will be soft and easy to bend - then within a few days the aluminum will harden up again.....(it seems weird that aluminum self tempers at normal temperatures).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 11/20/17 at 10:14:40

Dave thanks for the soap tip on heating aluminum. Heating aluminum is tricky though and self tempering works with some alloys and not with others.

Another applying heat related tip for those who have ever tried to paint aluminum parts, heat does wonders to get primer to adhere. If you heat the aluminum with a heat gun before spraying primer it creates better bonding to the aluminum.

You don't need to heat it real hot. How it was explained to me is that there is a slight expansion of the surface and when it cools it locks the primer into the surface better. This assumes it was sanded and acid etched. If heated too much though it can flash the solvent too quickly and cause primer to bubble and fail immediately.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 11/20/17 at 12:53:14

I had a similar issue with aluminum flat bar from ACE. Not being a metal guy, I bent and shaped some flat bar for my saddlebag hard mounts. Looked nice, but after a little road test I could see the aluminum cracking at the bend and later read up and realized that you can't do that. So, I had to make set #2 out of steel flat bar.  Lesson learned for me.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #12 - 11/20/17 at 14:34:44

I have been a machinist for over 40 years, and have worked with many types of metal.

However, a word of warning.  ANY metal you purchase at a hardware store, or big box store is not the same quality as that purchased by local machine shops, etc.

My recommendation is to pay a little extra and get your small pieces of metal from McMaster-Carr.  They have an excellent online format, and over the years as a Purchasing Manager in various places, I have never had one bad experience with them.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 11/20/17 at 21:02:38

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 11/20/17 at 14:34:44:
I have been a machinist for over 40 years, and have worked with many types of metal.

However, a word of warning.  ANY metal you purchase at a hardware store, or big box store is not the same quality as that purchased by local machine shops, etc.

My recommendation is to pay a little extra and get your small pieces of metal from McMaster-Carr.  They have an excellent online format, and over the years as a Purchasing Manager in various places, I have never had one bad experience with them.

Thanks for the heads up. I buy aluminum bar from the local steel supplier. I'll do the same fur angle.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/20/17 at 21:32:59

You guys have given me an uh-oh moment. I made my rear turn signal mount by bending and cutting some aluminum flat bar from Home Depot and I painted it with liquid rubber paint. If it is cracking there is no way I am going to know until it actually breaks. Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 11:10:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Humble mod fail: Tell me yours

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.