MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Italian Bikes
08/01/17 at 12:12:34

So ,  

I was going through a local bike shop a couple week ago ... (One should never do this) .   I started "lifting handle bars ,checking weights".  
When I lifted a Moto Guzzi V7 , I did a double take and hoisted it up again ! ☺.
Its only 418 lbs.  and 52HP/44+lbs of Tork.  Wow ! 😀
Then I saw a V9 used in the other section ... 😋  only 10 lbs more ! ☺
I can't get them out of my head ... Either one of them would take the place of the Harley (560 lbs my WE Bike) and look better the whole time .

I understand MotoGuzzi has been making the V7 for 50 years now and this is the III generation model , so its well proven ! 😐

So , my choice's are :
1.   Keep druelling till my bucket runs over
2.   Get a new V7 III
3.   Get the 2016 used V9

HELP. 😱

I can sell the Harley next spring , but its paid for and I don't have too , but a Me bike and a We bike is all the bikes I really need.

Anybody ever have either of these bike or know someone who does ? 😕

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Italian Bikes
Reply #1 - 08/01/17 at 12:22:16

I want a Guzzi too! Everything I have ever read about them is good. Think I would buy a new one unless the used one is absolutely perfect.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 08/01/17 at 12:28:17

Ruttly

Which one got you duelling  ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/01/17 at 13:16:52

I had a guzzi Nevada and the pegs were high, making it feel like riding a racehorse. It was okay, but not great..
A Guzzi running up sounds like a V-8..
Really a nice sound.
Be aware they have a fuel pump in the tank. Hopefully they have solved the ethanol problem. The hoses used to pop off, and no gas to the injector. There is a forum and the most widely acclaimed shop is MPH in Houston. Luigi is known for being a bit cheap on grease in the head bearings. Mike sets them up right. Yes, he Could unrated them and sell them, but he doesn't.
A call to them and a chat with Mike to ask what you should know before you buy one wouldn't cost much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 08/01/17 at 15:17:58

Griso would be sweet but I'll settle for V7 III Special .

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/01/17 at 18:40:39

JOG, they fixed the ethanol related fuel filter problem long ago.  The fix was to remove the plastic filter and install one with a metal case.  The PO already had it done to my 2007 Nevada when I bought it five or six years ago.  I made offset brackets to lower my pegs one inch and also made a new higher seat to accommodate my long legs.  I removed the "air scoops" and the chrome trim and hard bag brackets on the rear fender to further reduce the weight.  Don' like heavy bikes.

The new V7 III and the V9 all have a new head design that improves performance and helps it meet the new EU standards.  My 2007 Guzzi runs well at freeway speeds and feels more comfortable at those at those speeds than my S40 so I generally use the Guzzi for longer and or faster riding.  Some people don't like the feel of a dry clutch but it seems fine to me.  Other than tires, brake pads and fluid changes mine has required no maintenance.

I have been thinking about getting a V9 Roamer.  I like the seating position and it feels a little roomier than the V7.  MM, I've ridden Sportsters and the Guzzis are very different.  You should test drive them before you decide to get one.

I've liked Italian bikes since I was a kid.  Before the Japanese bikes arrived in the US the Italian bikes ruled the small displacement market.  They seem to have a better understanding of how to make a bike light weight.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 08/01/17 at 19:04:11

Isn't advertising wonderful? "Making the V7 for 50 years'.
Not really. If I remember the history correctly...
There are two distinct families of Guzzis. The big block ones and the small block ones. The original V7 was of the big block family, which evolved into todays big bikes. A smaller engine family was introduced with the 350, 500, 650, 750, and now 900 motors.
In, general, the small block bikes were significantly lighter, and the designs were newer. One raging exception to 'new' was the use of Heron heads on the small block bikes. This is a design which uses parallel valves, a flat bottom cylinder head, and the combustion chamber carved into the top of the piston domes.
AFAIK, this was considered a good idea for about 3 minutes one afternoon in the '70s. Except for older Jags, I can't think of anyone who uses Heron heads.
Bad and wrong would be a polite way to describe the design.
Apparently, the new V9 uses a conventional head, and actually makes some power, as opposed to the 700cc sub 50 HP gutless wonder.
At least the small block bikes are light, so the few Shetland ponies they have corralled don't have much to haul around.
So, a more accurate ad would be "Using the V7 name again, even though the bike has not much in common with it's namesake"
Kinda like a modern Bonnie.
Worked on a V7 the other day. Still a bunch of idiotic (I'm sorry, 'quirky') things to deal with on the bikes.
To each his own.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 08/01/17 at 19:23:59

Not so sure about a gas engine but almost every Diesel engine is built that way and there is a huge difference between combustible and flammable fuels. But a combustion chamber in the top of the piston is a very efficient way to contain and direct the energy created in a diesel. It does seem to be extremely low tech for a Italian made machine. Are they four valve heads ? This is the first time I've ever heard of it on a gas engine. Possible it was originally designed to be a diesel engine. What about the 1200 engine ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 08/01/17 at 19:51:06

Ruttly

I've been reading everything I can find on the V7 III ,  its two valves / cylinder .    Its also 52 HP and 44.2 ft/lbs.  and displaces 744 cc.
weighs in at 418 lbs .   had 130/80-17 rear and 18" front.

My local dealer has a Special (blue/white) 2016 w/1,200 ish miles  (spoke wheels) .   for   $6,999 .    They also have three 2017 Stone models , for $7,999 .

I kinda like the mag wheels of the Stone model .   but the 2017 Stone model don't have the dual gages , or much of a front fender.   I'm thinking of the 2016 Stone , it has chrome mufflers and dual gauges and a real front fender .   But , they seem to be hard to find (the 2016 Stone Model).  

They sold the V-9 they had today , some guy from up north bought it sight unseen !   It had 800 + miles (2016 yellow) $6,999 .     It was the Roamer model and the seat was too small .

« Last Edit: 08/02/17 at 14:10:24 by MMRanch »  

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 08/01/17 at 20:10:11

MM , Remember the gas tanks are usually empty or very little in it. Makes the bike feel lighter and then add 4 gal of fuel it changes that light feeling.
A bike with a low center of gravity feels much lighter than it is. My 308 lb Savage/RYCA tracker with its high COG feels heavier than my 505 lb Sportster with its lower COG. But a huge dramatic difference when riding them cause of the 200 lb difference , much more planning and physical effort with the sportster where the tracker is so light and agile if you screw up in a turn the bike will go where ever you want it to , very easy to correct a mistake with lean or throttle , same mistake on the sportster and you may be testing your off roading skills or worse. Sportster builds muscle
Tracker builds excitement and huge smiles. Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 08/01/17 at 20:44:04

Hope to see your Tracker some day !  Smiley

your right about the Sportster building a body up !

jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 08/02/17 at 01:28:08

Some years ago, before I returned to riding, there was a group of "mature" riders at my workplace. One had a Guzzie, when it ran it was some sort of deity. Most times if it ran it didn't run well, and the strife, the issues, went on and on and on and on.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 08/02/17 at 01:56:47

Armen wrote on 08/01/17 at 19:04:11:
AFAIK, this was considered a good idea for about 3 minutes one afternoon in the '70s. Except for older Jags, I can't think of anyone who uses Heron heads

Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #13 - 08/02/17 at 02:59:45

Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport

Right, another gutless wonder.
All 16 of them that they made.

The fact that Guzzi stuck with that head design for so long goes a long way to explaining why they never sold many here. Maybe in a country with tiered licensing and insurance that favors low HP high cost bikes, but not in the US.
Shame, because the small block bikes had potential. And still do, if only they'd make them a little less quirky and a little more powerful.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 08/02/17 at 04:41:59

MM.

Go look at a Triumph Bonneville.  It likely won't be cheap - but it has enough seat to be a "we" bike.  My friend and his wife shipped their bike over to the UK and spent 6 weeks riding double.  The bike has plenty of power, looks good, and handles great.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 12:44:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Italian Bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.