Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
DRZ Tracker Project (Read 1389 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: DRZ Tracker Project
Reply #15 - 01/15/17 at 14:27:02

This one came out really well;although, it is a KLR.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 01/15/17 at 14:53:42

and this is what you'll look like riding it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwjpc8I-0kw

WWW   IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 01/15/17 at 15:20:03

Cool video!!! File that one in the "Where There's a Will, There's a Way" category....Roll on Little Guy!! Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #18 - 01/15/17 at 17:41:18

Ruttly wrote on 01/15/17 at 14:01:53:
Gary , Is that a stock DRZ fork or has it been lowered ?

Forks have been lowered 100mm. Rear remains stock.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 01/16/17 at 09:19:04

Ellaspede has a lot of parts at their disposal, and they smartly sourced parts for their DRZ build from their own parts bin. I have leeway. There are a few area’s that I may part ways with Leo’s design. One of them is the instrument gauge. Leo used a very nice Daytona Velona Speedometer that Ellaspede sells. It’s simple and fits well with the design. Leo created a custom indicator below the gauge for the turn signal indicators, neutral indicator and water temperature warning (all of these signals are prewired into the DRZ wiring harness). Missing on the Ellaspede bike is a tachometer, and I definitely want a tach on my bike. I did some searching for an integrated speedo/tach and there are dozens available, but I instantly fell in love with the Acewell 6000 series. Dime City Cycles carries this brand in the US and I purchased a 6502 model. This model has a 12,000 rpm tachometer and connections for turn signals, neutral light, high beam, water temp and hazard light/flasher. I also purchased an accessory sensor for the speedo that connects to the speedo cable location in the hub. This way I won’t have to fool around with mounting the included hall-effect sensor in the brake rotor.

It’s a lot of wires, but they should hide well in a large 7” headlight bucket. It really is a complete kit and I look forward to installing it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #20 - 01/16/17 at 09:22:33

The Suzuki looks way better than that Kawasaki brat tracker. Had my tracker out doing some tuning blasting round town when I was heading out of town was trying to hold throttle steady at 80 mph this Camaro was along side like he wanted to race when I realized he was just checking the bike out. It's so hard to keep a steady rpm in the up right position gonna have to try the flat track tuck position next time out !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 01/16/17 at 10:23:51

The Tracker that you are using as a model has a nice looking rear end - I just can't get excited about the current trend of having the seat that just hangs out over the rear tire.  I know this is partly because the monoshock doesn't provide a pair of shocks to connect the swing arm to the seat frame - but the bike just doesn't look finished (to me), when it just has a seat slab!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #22 - 01/16/17 at 10:44:47

Dave,

What I don't like about bikes without rear fenders and the seat stuck up in the air is that it reminds me of the snobs when I was a kid.

All the good kids had Schwinn or Columbia bikes and the snobs had English bikes with skinny tires. The Raleigh was most popular among the rich kids and they always had the seat up as high as it would go. We called them "Ass-High Riders". We hated them....

Kenny G   Undecided

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 01/16/17 at 12:13:30

I'm with you there Dave I like that bit of bodywork at the rear to put the taillight , I've always been fond of traditional flat track designs. Not to fond of the brat trackers and the long flat seat. To each his own !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #24 - 01/17/17 at 06:14:31

I agree with you guys, the tail piece is an important design element of this bike. I also agree that a fender/tail piece gives a bike a finished look.

Ellaspede’s DRZ Street Tracker has a very unique tail section. It flows well with the body line with no hump in the back. Being flush with seat top it does not create additional lines for the eye to follow. Further, it includes an enclosed seat pan where the bikes electronics and battery are housed. It’s very neat and tidy. I’ve done some research to see if I could find a similar seat pan. So far – no good. So in the event I can’t source (or afford) the tail piece from Ellaspede I’ve been looking for alternatives. I kind of like this one:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/images/seats/dts6contact.jpg

It does have a street tracker hump but its small size makes it a good fit. It can be purchased with an accessory undertray so I could create a battery box and electronics bay. At $104 for the seat pan and $45 for the seat pan it’s economical too. I’m 99.99% sure that I could easily make an undertray on my small tabletop brake too – it’s just some simple bends and some AN426 flush rivits. But the DTS6 is not the same as the unit designed by Leo Yip. The Ellaspede design is nice and flat which doesn’t disturb the continuous line of the bike from front to back. A traditional Tracker seat pan has an upward flair/turn at the tail end – and I think it would disturb and detract from the look of the bike.

I contacted Leo in late December to see if Ellaspede had developed a kit for the DRZ. The parts of primary interest to me are the tail section, fork brace and the radiator relocation brackets. I also asked if he’d be willing to share any details of the build.

He got back to me and advised that they are developing some kit parts for the DRZ, but hadn’t released any yet. Parts would include the tail and fork brace.  We have had subsequent email exchanges where we discussed custom fabrication of these parts, but I agreed to be patient and wait for the kit parts. He was also kind enough to share some details on the suspension modifications which I will detail when I modify the suspension.  So far Leo has been forthcoming with info and if he keeps his schedule, I should have a tail section for this build by early summer.

Otherwise I’ll have to cobble something together from Airtech-Streamlining.  I hate fiberglass work, but if I have too I could modify that DTS6 seat pan to eliminate the rearward upturn and flatten out the seating area. Or, just come to accept it.

Another idea that I’ve thought about is improvising a tail piece from something else. For example, a quick look on eBay pointed me to a seat cowl from a CBR600. This cover actually has nice lines, and with a little fabrication work I think I could make side panels for it to integrate it into a metal undertray. Best of all, it’s only $25.

The other way to create a tail section/seat cowl would be to render a design in a 3D CAD file and have it printed. The more I think about it, the more I like this option…but a bolt-on kit sure would be easy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/17/17 at 06:26:11

These two companies have some low profile options in fiberglass.  The nice thing about fiberglass....is that you can cut and add on pieces/mounts if you want to.  I added a tail light mount, and made a storage bin under the rear hump on my Cafe' bike.

http://www.hotwingglass.com/index.html

http://gftpstore.com/Seats_c6.htm

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 01/17/17 at 08:44:05

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #27 - 01/22/17 at 07:02:43

Gary, I like your CBR600 (or similar) idea better than a traditional cafe or tracker seat.  It's a more modern presentation and fits the personality of the  DRZ better.  I mean you've got a single shock and radiators!  The old tanks fits, a traditional cafe/tracker tail doesn't.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #28 - 02/04/17 at 17:15:58

So I reached this stage of the project:

I need to get this all under the pressure washer and take a good look at everything, but on initial review this bike is in excellent condition. Don't let the dirt fool you, this bike was well cared for. Everything on this on this bike was properly torqued, greased and the previous owner went through the trouble to install grease zerks on the swingarm and steering head.

If I can get everything cleaned up in its current state, I probably will not tear down the frame any further. I really don't see the need to unpack the wiring harness and risk making more of a project than necessary.

I need to disasseble the wheels, clean up the hubs and relace the wheels for 18" rims. I'm going to simply move the rear 18x2.15 to the front and purchase an 18x3.50 for the rear. The rear hub looks like it may not respond to cleaning...I'll know more once I get it all apart.

Here's something funny; the box of parts to sell/not use:

Is larger/fuller than the box of parts to clean and reuse:

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 02/06/17 at 04:07:01

You got a lot done - glad the bike is dirty but cared for mechanically.

Do the hubs have the same diameter at the place where the spokes mount on the hub.....can you use the back spokes on the front?  Good choice on the 3.50-18 rear rim......that is what it takes to use the modern tire sizes properly.

Maybe you could powder coat the hubs if the back one won't clean up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 19:59:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › DRZ Tracker Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.