Events for 2020 (Read 2629 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Events for 2020
11/06/19 at 19:48:26

Hey ya'll. This year is just about up so I figured I would ask to see if anybody is interested in riding the Texas hill country or somewhere in Arkansas next spring (say early April or early May - I need to be home on April 25). Lots of time to start thinking about this and preparing.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Events for 2020
Reply #1 - 11/06/19 at 21:33:51

Harrison AR.  seems to be right in the heart of the fun stuff !   Wink

http://www.lostvalleycanoe.com/?page_id=77

The Bunk-House is only $15.00 per person up to 4 people / $10.00 per person for more !

Never been there (yet)  Huh

I get along nicely in my 8'x10' two door tent , and have room for a second person without being cramped.  Should we go camp ground instead.  Bring your own sleeping bag Stew !  Wink

« Last Edit: 11/07/19 at 09:37:11 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/06/19 at 22:26:03

« Last Edit: 11/07/19 at 07:50:16 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/07/19 at 03:48:18

MMRanch wrote on 11/06/19 at 21:33:51:
Harrison AR.  seems to be right in the heart of the fun stuff !   Wink
https://www.campmackinaw.com/cabin-reservations/
Never been there (yet)  Huh

Deb and I did Arkansas at the end of September and the riding is very good.  The curves are more open than they are in the Blue Ridge area, it is sort of like riding the Blueridge Parkway without all the trees and tourists and with very wide mountain tops.  There are some really good views - but the mountains have flat tops and once you are up there it is just like riding around in farm land with low hills.  (There is one road where the ridge is only about 40 feet wide and the road narrows and you can see the mountain dropping off on both sides of the road).  You only experience the steep and really tight curves as you drop up or down the sides of the mountain, and some of those switchbacks are first gear curves - those extremely tight curves are not common.  The Arkansas Dragon is good, and the Pig Trail is excellent - it takes about an hour of riding to get to the Pig Trail from Jasper.......but the ride to and from is really good.    

We rode up to Harrison and it is a busy city - but I don't think that is where you want to stay.  We got a ride brochure and a lot of the rides start in Harrison - but when we tried a few of those rides we found they were too open, too flat and often too boring and there often would be 4 lane highways for long stretches.  It is necessary to ride through Harrison to get to Eureka Springs and it is worth going to see - but the ride to/from there was pretty disappointing as it was mostly just highway riding.

Harrison is about 20 miles too far north of the good riding - I think Jasper is a better choice.  We stayed at the Dogwood Springs campground, and the good riding is only minutes away.
http://jasperdogwoodcabinsandrv.com/

Not sure how early the weather gets reliable in AR......it looks like April and May are the wettest months.  As this weekend proved when we let several really good says go by and waited for the Nov 8-10 weekend to arrive just to find out the weather turned crappy- this group is not real flexible about changing the trip dates to go when the weather is good, and wet the good weather pass by without getting to ride in it.  You can't count on the weather forecast being accurate 2 weeks in advance, and even a few days out the weather can make big changes. Click on the icon for "all months" in the link below and you can see averages for temperature and rainfall each month.  Arkansas appears to be pretty dry and the wettest months have 8-10 days of rain - not sure if that comes with 1 rainy day and 2 dry days.......or 2 events with 5 straight days of rain!  When we visited for 6 days in September it rained a little bit one evening, and on the last day it rained all day.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=jasper+arkansas+weather+...  

« Last Edit: 11/07/19 at 14:17:53 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/07/19 at 11:43:41

This all sounds good to me. I love the Texas Hill Country riding and I have never been to Arkansas. Lets all start thinking about when would be a good time and who would like to go.

For those that have never been in a group ride like this, it is lots of fun. We ride, we eat, we bs and we eat some more. If you need to relax, this is a great way to get away from it all, if even for just a few days.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 11/07/19 at 11:51:22

I think optimum time for AR is June or Sept.

While Apr May is a good time for TX.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/08/19 at 03:02:43

When Deb and I were there at the end of September, it was very hot and dry, and kids were back in school and families were not camping during the week (families did come on the weekend).  We noticed a lot of areas at the rivers and streams with big parking lots and access to the water - we later learned that this area has a lot of canoe and kayak activity in the spring when the water level in the rivers provides good flow.  The campgrounds and hotels are taken up by those river folks.

It appears April/May/June are the wettest months and the river activity will be more prevalent.
https://www.buffaloriveroutfitters.com/float-trips/weather-water-levels

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/08/19 at 13:24:53

What Versy says works for me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 11/08/19 at 13:44:51

So...
Twisted Sister - Apr/May - Verslagen1, Springman, Lancer, MMRanch ?
Arkansas - Sept - Verslagen1, Springman, Lancer, MMRanch  ?

« Last Edit: 11/08/19 at 19:07:25 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 11/08/19 at 16:20:50

verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/19 at 13:44:51:
So...
Twisted Sister - Apr/May - Verslagen1, Springman, ?
Arkansas - Sept - ?

I would love to do both, put me down.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 11/08/19 at 18:20:35

I would love to do both also !   Smiley

Ya'll don't care which bike I bring do ya's ?   Huh

Anybody passing through my neighborhood on the way South ?   Two bikes might fit in the truck if the weather is on the mend !  and the saddlebags are off ...  Roll Eyes

Or , its a nice ride if the weather is nice.  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/14/19 at 19:03:48

Looking good to me. Count me in on both.

MM, if it has 2 wheels, a motor and it goes, you can bring it. Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 11/14/19 at 22:07:55

Thanks Springman ,  Those larger fuel tanks make a big difference if ya really need to roll some miles away .   Wink   Remember I'm about 1,000 miles away from South Texas.

Heck , Dave might bring one of his BMW s  and ride along ... if the weather is nice ?     The V-9 only has a 4 gal tank  " but it gets over 60 mpg. if I'm nice to it " so I'll ride it as the original plan.

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/15/19 at 04:13:57

"WE" would likely be coming to the September ride in Arkansas.  Deb enjoyed our vacation to Jasper this year and would like to do it again.  We would be bringing our camper/toyhauler and staying in it....and we would be bringing a bike that rides double as the Savage Cafe' doesn't ride two.

As the year goes on we can start planning the dates and the lodging. If we stay at the Dogwood Springs campground they have several different cabin layouts and tent camping options for you fellas.  

I don't think I will be coming to Texas......that is a route that would allow me to go by MM's house and we could travel together for more than half of the trip from my house.  The trip from my house to Lynchurg and then to  Vanderpool, Texas is 1,400 miles (22 hours of travel time)........that might just be a bit too far for me to travel in my "semi-retired" status for a 3-4 day ride.      

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 11/15/19 at 12:21:03

Vanderpool, Texas      ?

Twisted Sisters , Texas .  :   https://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/

How many once in a lifetime EPIC Motorcycle Rides are there to do in the United States ?
Dave , this is the ONE to do in Texas where the default speed limit is 70 mph. and you have to call a State Trooper to find one !  Grin
Bring a bike with removable bags ,  we'll put the bags in the back seat and the bikes in the rear of the truck .   Fuel wise it will be about the same.  

Starts near LEAKEY TX.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:50:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Events for 2020

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.