LED Headlight Bulb (Read 2812 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: LED Headlight Bulb
Reply #120 - 05/17/17 at 19:30:24

I have installed the led bulb Dave sent me and took it for a 10 minute ride last night. It is substantially brighter than my halogen bulb but the is not even. The lighting is almost like various separate bands of light alternating between very bright and not so bright. But still much better than the halogen bulb. In that 10 minute ride I did not encounter much traffic so do not yet know if people will be flashing their lights at me. I'll let you know when I find out.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #121 - 05/19/17 at 07:10:52

I requested a return or exchange of my LED bulb from ADVMonster yesterday and received a response this morning:  "Thanks for following up.  We have identified the cause.  Some flux from the soldering process has splattered onto the leds.  If you take a cotton swap dipped in isopropyl alcohol and lightly clean the leds, the flux will be removed.  This will eliminate the fogging.  Sorry for the issue."
No mention of "hey, if this doesn't work we'll be happy to refund or exchange".  I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

Tocsik wrote on 04/24/17 at 07:58:51:
... I have emailed the company.  They've been pretty responsive by email but are telling me:
"We are attempting to replicate, thanks for the heads up.  We've been through several with nothing thus far."

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #122 - 05/19/17 at 07:18:01

Tocsik:

Thanks for being the Guinea pig on this!

It would be really nice if this worked, as the light is the easiest LED bulb to install.  It does not have any space issues in the headlight bucket, as the back of the bulb is identical to the original bulb - which also allows the rubber weather seal to be used.  It also doesn't require the additional wiring or little "box" in the wiring that other LED's have, or the fan or braided heat sink wires on the back of the bulb that need extra room in the bucket.

I did notice that the one I returned seemed to be causing the fogging less and less quickly as time went on....whatever was causing the fogging must have been getting used up.

« Last Edit: 05/19/17 at 08:18:04 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #123 - 05/19/17 at 08:15:25

Yeah, it'll be good to see how it turns out.  I've even switched from a Hella lens to a Candlepower lens as the Hella ended up having the cuts for the upsweep beam on the wrong side  Angry (for left hand drive roads).

We've had a bunch of rain here and then snow fell on top of it so I don't know when I'll be out riding again.  Will update after cleaning the lens and riding with the LED for a while.  If it works out, might consider adding a couple 10W LED driving lights to the bike if I can tuck them in somewhere discrete.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #124 - 05/21/17 at 20:45:43

Ok...So I finally had a break in the evening rain to install the LED and go outside with both the halogen and LED to get some comparative pics. I did not have time to go for a ride as it was late and the roads were still damp, but here are three sets of pics against the garage door and two different points down my driveway.

They are labeled, but note that the Halogen is on the left and the LED is on the right.

Last image is just a comparison of the stock halogen bulb and the LED unit.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #125 - 05/22/17 at 03:41:54

Stew:

Something is horribly wrong - the vertical cut off on the low beam is all wacky on the LED.  In my car the low beam cutoff worked fine.......and I think it is working on the other bulb I sent to Springman.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #126 - 05/22/17 at 04:06:52

Tocsik wrote on 05/19/17 at 08:15:25:
Yeah, it'll be good to see how it turns out.  I've even switched from a Hella lens to a Candlepower lens as the Hella ended up having the cuts for the upsweep beam on the wrong side  Angry (for left hand drive roads).

I do hope the cleaning of the Native H4 works and resolves the fogging issue - there are plenty of good reviews of the bulb.....and it is the easiest one to install, it is affordable, and it does provide a definite improvement over the stock bulb).

I tried the ADVMonster H4 R3 LED for a very, very short ride Saturday night, as just as I pulled out the driveway it started to sprinkle, and by the time I go 1/4 miles the wind and lightning arrived, I quickly turned around and made it home before the hard rain hit.....I only had about 30 seconds to spare!

The H4 R3 seems to be a very good LED bulb - it is very bright and has a very nice light pattern from what I could tell in that short ride.  The only downside is that it requires a pretty good clearance inside the light bucket as the bulb sticks out pretty far behind the reflector, and the braided heat sink wires take up some room.  I am not sure it will fit in the stock Savage light housing.

I will get a chance to ride it after dark tonight for a better review....I am using it in a 7" Candlepower reflector.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #127 - 05/22/17 at 07:17:19

Dave wrote on 05/22/17 at 03:41:54:
Stew:

Something is horribly wrong - the vertical cut off on the low beam is all wacky on the LED.  In my car the low beam cutoff worked fine.......and I think it is working on the other bulb I sent to Springman.

Let me take another look and see if I had something in there wrong?  I looked closely at the three bulb prongs and one is wider than the other two so it could only go in one way...unless I somehow made it fit improperly by mistake?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #128 - 05/24/17 at 04:01:15

I am still looking for an LED that can be used to upgrade the stock headlight into something useful.

Last night I tried the ADVmonster H4 R3, and it is the brightest and best LED bulb I have found yet - but it has the braided heat sink wires out the back of the bulb and the control box, and a bulky connector for the light plug - I believe it is too big to fit into the Savage headlight bucket (but it may be a good LED to use in the Harley 7" bucket).
http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/

This is the bulb that Tocsik and I tried, and it works fine but caused the inside of the glass to get smokey and required cleaning.  ADVMonster claims that the soldering flux got on the bulb, and that cleaning the LED with alcohol will resolve the problem.  They have sold a lot of these bulbs and claim the smokey lens is not a universal problem.
http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

(I can only find the following lights in pairs on Amazon).

I found that the compact bulb that Tocsik is using (and I tried) can be purchased cheaper as the LASFIT brand.  Hopefully cleaning the bulb will solve the problem of smoking up the glass.
https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-Philips-Driver-Warranty/dp/B01BBWQWFM...

The WERISE V5 looks promising......somebody needs to try this one!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW3BM26/ref=sr_1_55?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=149...

This LASFIT looks like another good option, it has the fan outside the light - but the driver is built inside and it doesn't need the extra box on the outside wiring.
https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headlight-Kits-COB-Adjustable-6000K-Dual/dp/B01...

(If anyone wants to buy a pair of the above lights and give them a try, I will buy the 2nd one from you).

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #129 - 05/24/17 at 09:29:43

Dave how many of the LASEFITs do you want?  Just one, or a couple to test with?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #130 - 05/24/17 at 09:41:58

Eegore wrote on 05/24/17 at 09:29:43:
 Dave how many of the LASEFITs do you want?  Just one, or a couple to test with?

I don't know for sure.  If they don't work well, then 1 is too many.  If they work really well, then I likely will put them in my bike(s), and also offer it as a bulb option when I get the light kits completed.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #131 - 05/25/17 at 20:46:33

We took a quick challenge between the stock headlight, spring's led and my new 7" day maker knock off. We'll have to post pics later but they don't do justice to the light pattern. Maybe they just over whelmed the camera.
The day maker has a definite bright spot in the center on high and low and a little brighter than spring's.  cutoff seemed well defined.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #132 - 05/26/17 at 10:10:01

Well I just watched a 30 min video on YouTube while I was eating lunch at my desk...and I got some bad news.  The reason that the performance of LED bulbs is so bad - is that the lens and reflector is designed and optimized to work with the very specific location of the 2 filaments (high/low) in bulb.  The LED bulbs have not been very good at replicating those filaments....and that is especially true of the $ 30 Chinese copycat stuff.  We may still be able to find an affordable $ 30 bulb the Savage that will provide a worthwhile upgrade - but the cutting edge stuff that can replicate the original bulb is pricey.  One such light is currently $239 a pair.  Go to the H4 (9003) model and you can see how the small LED's are arranged to match the location of the filament in a traditional bulb (without this...that is why we get the uneven and unfocused light pattern).

https://gtrlighting.com/headlights/gen-3/

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #133 - 05/26/17 at 11:36:47

Educate me on this, is the bright spot a desirable thing?  I think that would concentrate a lot of light in a localized area rather than spreading it out more.  But I guess it would be the point where the photons penetrated further into the darkness, too for downroad light.

« Last Edit: 05/26/17 at 12:47:32 by Tocsik »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #134 - 06/01/17 at 07:21:18

Last night I installed this LASFIT bulb into the Ninja to give it a try.......it is pretty good for a cheaper light.  It has a good light pattern, pretty easy installation, the light can be rotated to make sure you get the best orientation for your reflector, and there is no box on the cable.  The rubber seal worked OK on the Candlepower reflector, and I believe it will work good on the Savage reflector as well.  And you can get a pair of them for less than $40 (share the cost with a forum friend and they are $20 each).  The only negative I have to say about it - is the fit of the plastic housing into the H4 adapter plate seems a bit cheap.....but I guess it works.

I am waiting on another set of bulbs to try out.

This is what the bulb looks like taken apart and ready to install.  (Don't pay any attention to the Hella rubber seal in the photo - that fits a different reflector).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 08:56:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight Bulb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.